Asian Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm assuming by "Asian" inspired we're talking about China, Japan, the Koreas, South-East Asia, and the Pacific Islands (excluding Russia, the Middle-East, Indian sub-continent, etc.).

I've experimented with mixed results in many East-Asian cuisines (and American interpretations), but over time I've narrowed down to a handful of dishes from each popular sub-culture that I tend to return to. Quite often I will make each set as a cheesy sort of "themed" dinner when we have gatherings. I also do a cocktail with each set that is inspired by related aromas and flavors.

I really tend to do this with most foreign cuisines... momentary indulgences into stereotypical dishes with my own little twists... matched into a 4-5 course dinner that incorporates all of my limited understanding of that cuisine.

I tend to do the same for regional American cuisine. The only exception is Traditional New England grub, which I have a good repertoire of dishes due to my immersion and life experience.

Neah, I did not mean any oid the above. The original post was asking : "What are your favorite Asian dishes to make at home?"

and so was I. There is a letter "O" missing, that is it. Instead of ones, I typped nes. Sorry.

My egg rolls, spring rolls, summer rolls have turned out fine. My sushi was a little loose. Since my last attempt, though, sushi bars opened in Dubuque, then here in town, so I don't bother any more!

!

The last time I made "rolls" was a year ago New Year's Eve. We used the rice wrappers (so I guess those are summer rolls?). I haven't made eggrolls for years--hmmm...maybe I'll do those next week. I have wonton wrappers in the freezer...

Anyway, for those rolls I had leftover pork roast--I shredded that, added carrot matchsticks, some chopped cabbage, green onion, grated ginger...I made a hot dipping sauce (can't remember how I did that, but I probably surfed the web and got some idea--Asian food is not part of my food heritage <g>). They were fun to make--separating the wrappers was a little frustrating and not all of them were perfect, but that didn't matter because they aren't cooked! My DH and I had fun in the kitchen together making them. My b'day's coming up--maybe that's something I'll ask to be on the menu...

Last edited:
Salt Cooking Liquor

What do you do with this? I found a bottle in my pantry (must be something I brought back from my mother's...I don't remember ever buying it).

What do you do with this? I found a bottle in my pantry (must be something I brought back from my mother's...I don't remember ever buying it).

Don't know what it is or how to use it.

If it is a cooking wine with salt added, toss it. They are awful tasting and will spoil an otherwise good recipe.

One trick to making egg rolls is to make sure your filling isn't too wet.
Otherwise the steam will explode the rolls when you fry them. Ick.

This is good to know! It makes perfect sense!

Quite often I will make each set as a cheesy sort of "themed" dinner when we have gatherings. I also do a cocktail with each set that is inspired by related aromas and flavors.

I really tend to do this with most foreign cuisines... momentary indulgences into stereotypical dishes with my own little twists... matched into a 4-5 course dinner that incorporates all of my limited understanding of that cuisine.

I tend to do the same for regional American cuisine. The only exception is Traditional New England grub, which I have a good repertoire of dishes due to my immersion and life experience.

I love love love love love love love to do themed dinners. It matters not to me what the theme is: regional foods, events, mood setters. Love it. SO. MUCH. FUN. Please share ideas!

Personally, I lean towards making a lot of Sri Lankan dishes. I blame that on my Sri Lankan husband, though. ;) Happily, his mother taught me a lot of her recipes, so I can make perfectly authentic Sri Lankan food. :)

After that, I mostly make Indian food, or Middle Eastern. Other Asian foods rank after that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom