Asian Foods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
A spammer started a thread about What are your favorite Asian dishes to make. The spammer was sent packing, but the thread about favorite Asian dishes looked like a good topic.

I'd love to make egg rolls, or spring rolls.

What are your favorite Asian dishes to make at home?

I make loads of stir fry dishes but they are all make-em-up as you go, no real recipe. I have a couple recipes that I either found or made up that I make pretty consistently, but they are not really classic Asian dishes. The only standard Asian dish I've made successfully from scratch is fried rice with numerous variations.

That said, living here in the Philippines I do get access to some pretty good ingredients from China, Japan, Thailand, etc. I found a really good brand of curry paste and recently made a couple batches of red curry that turned out fantastic. I'd love to know how to make that from scratch.

I make these:
  • Sesame Chicken
  • Sesame Noodles
  • Sesame string beans
  • Beef and Broccoli
  • Fried Rice
  • Sub gum chicken chow mein
  • Chicken and noodle salad with peanut dressing
I want to try making egg rolls soon

My recipes are Asian Based, not Asian...In other words, I use the same types of seasonings and foods, my way. Yum!

My recipes are Asian Based, not Asian...In other words, I use the same types of seasonings and foods, my way. Yum!
Yeah that's me, too. I can't help but change every recipe that comes my way, that's how I was taught to cook. Actually I think it's in my DNA. My grandmother (who I'm named for) was notorious for making up dishes as she went. Problem is whenever she made something everybody liked she couldn't always remember how she did it. :LOL:

Yeah that's me, too. I can't help but change every recipe that comes my way, that's how I was taught to cook. Actually I think it's in my DNA. My grandmother (who I'm named for) was notorious for making up dishes as she went. Problem is whenever she made something everybody liked she couldn't always remember how she did it. :LOL:

Sounds very familiar!:LOL: Luckily, there are some flavor combinations that I have managed to recreate, over and over.

Any given week, my menu tips Asian. Like this evening, I made okonomi-yaki, the so-called Japanese pizza that literally means "cook your taste preference." It's more like a savory pancake, with whatever you like in the batter, cooked on a gridle.

Peanut-Sesame Noodles, Thai-Style Pasta Salad, Vegetable Lo Mein, Vegetable Fried Rice, Orange-Ginger Chicken, Egg Drop Soup, Thai Cucumber Salad, Green Salad with Asian Vinaigrette, Sesame Chicken, Vegetable Tempura, Stir-Fried Vegetables...

Peanut-Sesame Noodles, Thai-Style Pasta Salad, Vegetable Lo Mein, Vegetable Fried Rice, Orange-Ginger Chicken, Egg Drop Soup, Thai Cucumber Salad, Green Salad with Asian Vinaigrette, Sesame Chicken, Vegetable Tempura, Stir-Fried Vegetables...
I would love those recipes.

I love Asian food ... but I am intimidated by all the different ingredients that I'm not famliar with, so I've never attempted to make true Asian foods at home.

I use some basic Asian ingredients like soy, ginger, and sesame oil for Asian inspired marinades and dishes. I've made fried rice and stir-frys .... ok, but not authentic, and Dragon Lady Blog sesame noodles ... yum, but that's the extent of it. I am truly impressed with so many of you that make so many great dishes that I would probably not attempt.

When we have a yen for Asian food, we just order out from a local restaurant that's excellent ... definitely worth it for us.

Sushi
Fried rice
Spring Rolls
Garlic and Chili Edamame
Pho and other noodle soups
Bun (like pho without the broth)
Pad thai
Tons of noodle diahes rarely the same twice
Aga dashi tofu
Baked Mussles Japanese style
Grilled Fish with asian dips
Asian slaw
Thai coconut rice
Teryaki everything
Pan fried noodles

Someone said that they make beef and broccoli-could you give us a recipe? I would love to make that. I have made fried rice and stir fry.

Someone said that they make beef and broccoli-could you give us a recipe? I would love to make that. I have made fried rice and stir fry.
I will work up a recipe and post as soon as I can.

I made sesame chicken tonight. I will post a pic in tonights dinner thread.

Any given week, my menu tips Asian. Like this evening, I made okonomi-yaki, the so-called Japanese pizza that literally means "cook your taste preference." It's more like a savory pancake, with whatever you like in the batter, cooked on a gridle.

I'm interested in the batter recipe...is it close to an egg foo yung batter?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom