"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #41
Master Chef

For me, they would be my childhood snack favorites.....rice crackers, dried squid, and a bunch of others....

Old 07-24-2013, 01:57 PM   #42
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
For me, they would be my childhood snack favorites.....rice crackers, dried squid, and a bunch of others....
Oh yeah! I forgot about dried squid. To those that haven't tried it, it sounds horrid. But it is basically like a jerky... seasoned, chewy, delicious and salty/sweet. Love it! Think I will get some tomorrow as I'm heading to the big Asian Market anyway... Thanks for the reminder of this snack! Totally forgot about it...

Old 07-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

I love rice cakes. Put creamy peanut butter on them, zap it for a minute or so and let it melt down into the cake. Like eating hot roasted peanuts.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #44
Assistant Cook

I absolutely hate most seafood, but realised I'd accidentally been enjoying some strange, crispy shrimp balls. They were weirdly sweet and very addictive.

I'm a massive fan of garlic peas, if you haven't tried them and you're a garlic fan, you will absolutely love them. Not exactly a social snack though...
Old 07-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #45
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabulousFoodie View Post
I absolutely hate most seafood, but realised I'd accidentally been enjoying some strange, crispy shrimp balls. They were weirdly sweet and very addictive.

I'm a massive fan of garlic peas, if you haven't tried them and you're a garlic fan, you will absolutely love them. Not exactly a social snack though...
Welcome to DC! Are garlic peas like wasabi peas, dried and crunchy? I love wasabi peas.

Will have to check out dried squid and shrimp balls.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Welcome to DC! Are garlic peas like wasabi peas, dried and crunchy? I love wasabi peas.

Will have to check out dried squid and shrimp balls.
They're very similar to wasabi peas in texture, apparently they're a common bar snack in Asia.

I think the balls were made by Orion and had a peanut in the centre, they're definitely up there with some of the strangest things I've ever eaten
Old 07-26-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love rice cakes. Put creamy peanut butter on them, zap it for a minute or so and let it melt down into the cake. Like eating hot roasted peanuts.
That is an interesting way to have rice cakes Ads

I like rice cakes but started finding them bland, but your way is not bland at all
Old 07-26-2013, 09:43 PM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
This is my favorite. Na Rog. Roasted chilis in oil. I love the smokey, hot flavor with any kind of eggs, noodles or veggies....very addictive..
They look good, sounds good with the noodles
Old 07-26-2013, 09:44 PM   #49
Chef Extraordinaire

I have never tried dumplings...we actually have a dumpling/chinese takeaway shop opening up in our local shopping centre called Red Panda...may have to try some
Old 07-26-2013, 10:31 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
That is an interesting way to have rice cakes Ads

I like rice cakes but started finding them bland, but your way is not bland at all
If you think of the plain white rice cakes, you can treat them as if it were white bread and put anything you would put in a sandwich. I love it with the PB. I often just eat the PB right out of the jar. But when heated in the micro on a rice cake, it melts down into the rice cake and tastes like hot roasted peanuts. A favorite food of mine. The cakes have minimum calories and the PB is a great protein food. I buy natural PB. You have to always stir the oil back into it before you use it. The only additive is the salt. No sugar in it.

I have also put tuna salad on it and zapped it. Rice cakes with added foods on top are a quick snack or a food for on the go.

Tags
None