Asian Market Faves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dawgluver

Chef Extraordinaire
On my way back from out of town meetings at the main office, I often stop at a little Oriental grocery store. It has the most amazing variety of stuff, and everything is very reasonably priced. Yesterday I picked up wasabi peas, a huge hand of fresh ginger, Shark Sriracha sauce, Kimlan light soy sauce, and Oriental Mascot oyster flavored sauce. What else would be good and hard to find elsewhere? I could spend a lot of time in that store, they have some of everything, but it's confusing!

I second the sesame oil. Kadoya makes the best!
Also, chili oil, chili paste, various chili sauces - including sweet chili sauce, and hot mustard.

Last edited:
Salad roll rice wrappers, Fresh Thai basil. Dry noodles for chow mein. Different bottled/jar sauces, sesame oil (prices are usually better than the chain grocery stores. (One exception to that is Superstore in Canada, Asian foods are way cheaper there than, the equivalent US grocery)

I buy just about my ethnic cooking needs in ethnic groceries. I have access to Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Indian, Pakistani and Near Eastern markets. An jaw-dropping selection of foods at reasonable prices.

The smells alone are worth the trip. When my grandson was about 3-4 YO, we went into a Pakistani spice store. The aromas of the spices were very strong. We walked in the door and he started "Mmmmm, smells so good! Smells so good!" The proprietor was all smiles.

Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....

Great ideas, thanks guys! Appreciate brand names.

Dang, I looked at the sesame oil, but there were so many different brands, and I kinda zoned out....

Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!

I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.

Trust me - Kadoya is fantastic. It's deep and delicious with a very distinct sesame taste - not watered down like some brands. Let me know what you think if you try it!

It's on my Ourgroceries Oriental Market list for next time, thanks Merstar!

I go to the asian market for rice, Jasmine is sooo much cheaper than the grocery store. Sauces, sesame oil, same thing so much cheaper.

I buy some produce there too, great deals on that too.

I also have access to just about every ethnic type market, some really cool stuff out there.

One downside to the asian markets is the fishy smell, it is really really strong! I went to one the other day on the other side of town and it smelled horrible, by far the dirtiest grocery store that I've ever seen, I have no idea how they pass any kind of inspections. They had a seafood case that was missing all of its front glass, you could just reach in and fondle the stuff if you wanted to, it was low enough that children could reach in. Luckily the ones near my house are much cleaner.

I know what you mean about the fishy smell. This store is fairly clean and relatively unfishy.

Being from lower south Bugtussle, I'm envious of all who have a plethora of ethnic grocery stores! We do Mexican quite well here, but that's about it.

Last edited:
I find that most of the ingredients we use for Thai, Japanese and Chinese are very inexpensive compared to what is available from the minimal shelf space at the grocery. Some of the bulk spices are really cheap as well.

Mirin, fish sauce, garlic, fresh noodles, dried rice noodles, rice vinegar, dried mushrooms, sesame oil, miso paste, oyster sauce, chile sauce, canned lychees - staples for all types of Asian cuisine.

Best brand names? There is so much of everything!

I don't have enough experience with different brand names to recommend one, except for Three Crabs fish sauce. Do check the labels for high-fructose corn syrup. I was surprised to see how many Asian condiments include it.

Shark Brand Sriracha blows away the garbage with the rooster on it. Red Boat 40°N fish sauce, by far the best.

Gojujang -- Korean hot pepper paste. It's awesome. Tasty and versatile.

Our house is stuffed to the gill with stuff from Asian markets, as my partner is Asian. So the Asian market is a go-to.

There is great debate over Shark Sriracha dauce among people who have time for such things. I'm not a fan.

I have 4 or 5 brands of fish sauce in my kitchen but my favorite brands are 3 Crabs and Tiparos. I like Squid and Golden Boy (but I love all Golden Boy products).

Also, the term "Oriental" offends some Asians .... Just sayin... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom