Asian Spring Rolls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chef Munky

Honey Badger
LUMPIA

Asian/Filipino Spring Rolls

1 package egg rolls

1 small package mixed veggies

1 pound of cooked crumbled or shredded meat,of your choice.
Beef (Hamburger),Chicken,Pork,Turkey.

Small bowl of water

All purpose flour

Cook beef, crumble,drain fat,set aside.

Cook frozen veggies according to the package instuctions,drain set aside.

Cool both completely,then mix the meats and veggies together

Take egg rolls separate them,then place on a floured plate to keep from sticking.

Take one egg roll add the filling.No more then 2 Tablespoons per roll.

Roll up according to the wrappers suggestion,on the back.

Makes 20

Can be frozen well ahead of time in Zip lock bags.I'd make sure that they are dusted well with flour before freezing,keeps them from sticking together.

When you need them,no need to wait until they defrost.

Take them out deep fry at 350 degrees until crispy,light golden. You know when there done when they float to the top.

All meats can be omitted from this recipe,Cabbage,Fresh Spinach and such,make great alternatives.

Serve with rice

Dipping sauces can be

Soy Sweet and sour

Teriyaki

Tonkatsu Sauce
1/2 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup of ketchup
1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard'
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
dash of salt & pepper
Add all to a medium saucepan,whisk.
Bring it to a boil,reduce heat simmer for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat.Place in a small bowl,cover and let sit at room temp until ready to serve.
Cover and refrigerate any leftovers,for up to a week.
Makes 1 cup appox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you mean egg roll wrappers? Like wonton wrappers?

It's been so long since I've bought them. Learned how to make my own being here. See what you guys do? Yes egg roll wrappers. That's what they call it here.. Usually found in the refrigerated produce section. They aren't really that expensive.

Egg_Roll__Wrappers.jpg

Chef Munky, I think that recipe for egg roll wrappers is due here. may we have it?

Hmmm. I'll look for those, I've only seen the wonton wrappers. I'd like the recipe for the egg roll wrappers too. Is it on here? Do you have a link?

Chef Munky, I think that recipe for egg roll wrappers is due here. may we have it?

I believe I got this recipe here from another member. Mimi when she was helping me make pot stickers, asian dumplings..Something like that. It's here in the ethnic section somewhere.. It eventually turned out once I wised up.. Been using it ever since :)

Egg Roll Wrappers:

2 cups all-purpose flour - sifted
1 large egg
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Sift the flour into a large bowl.

In a separate bowl beat the egg with the salt and a 1/4 cup of the water. Add the egg mixture to the flour. Knead. Add the additional 1/4 cup of water until the dough forms a firm ball.

Turn the dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.

Cover the dough and refrigerate 30 minutes.

After it's been chilled. I run it through my KA Pasta maker. The flat one.

Cut into any size you want. Fill and cook..

Munky.

Where I live, the lumpia wrappers are not available. Haven't seen them, in fact, since I left Hawaii.

A few weeks ago a neighbor's Vietnamese mom came over and taught me how to make Vietnamese spring rolls. Thank heaven she had us make (my husband and a neighboring couple joined in the lesson!) enough for the freezer, because the wrappers she used are not available within a 90 minute drive from here. She brought the wrappers that she bought in a city a couple of hours from here.

For those of us not from cosmopolitan areas, all that is available is egg roll and won ton wrappers that aren't appropriate for the Thai, Vietnamese, or Filipino versions.

Aren't the difference between egg roll wrappers and spring roll wrappers, the first is made with wheat flour and the second with corn starch (flour)?

Aren't the difference between egg roll wrappers and spring roll wrappers, the first is made with wheat flour and the second with corn starch (flour)?

I thought spring roll wrappers were made with rice flour. I did a random check in the stores I visited this past week, I can get spring roll wrappers everywhere...here...in Montana! We do have a large Hmong population, the growers of much of my fresh, local produce.

Back
Top Bottom