"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-11-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I would say that most meat pie recipes use a 3-2-1 pastry or something very similar (or cold water pastry as Ishbel calls it), generally it would be a fairly 'mealy' type of dough, rather than flakier dough (which of course results in a flakier crust).

It is just as easy to use a lid of the shell pastry...but then again if you use puff you get that satisfying crispy crunch as you bite down into the meat filling...and of course at least one flake of puff pastry (covered in tomato sauce of course) has to catapult up and cover the tip of your nose/upper lip with tomato sauce...Mmmm meat pies.

Old 04-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #12
Senior Cook

My Mom used to do a meat pie with a pastry crust. She would season the ground beef with onions, s&p, and sage then simmer it for hours on top of the stove. Then put the meat in the crust and bake til crust was a nice golden brown. I think this was originally from Canada. I didn't like them as a kid and never got her amounts, now I crave one and I can't get them to taste like hers did. She never had any written recipes so what I don't remember is gone forever.

Old 04-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Well, what I know of as a "pot pie" doesn't use a bottom crust, uses biscuits or biscuit dough for the top crust, and the "gravy" is actually cream of chicken soup and/or cream of mushroom soup.

But then, I grew up eating what my Mom cooked, and she grew up country, so that's what we ate.

That said, I do have a Steak and Kidney Pie recipe. I've never made it.

Steak and Kidney Pie

1 # chuck steak
4 oz ox or sheep kidney
1 oz oil
2 onions, chopped
1 oz flour
2 c water; salt and pepper
8 oz pie crust
1 egg yolk, beating with a little water for glazing

Remove gristle and fat from meat and cut into 1" cubes. Skin and core kidney and cut into small pieces. Fry meat in hot oil in a heavy saucepan until lightly browned. Add kidneys, onions and flour and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add water, salt and pepper and bring to the boil stirring continuously. Reduce the heat and simmer covered, until steak and kidneys are tender. Place in a pie dish and allow to cool. Preheat oven to 400 – 450F. On a floured board, roll out pastry or use a sheet of bought pastry rolled and cut to about 1" larger than the diameter of the pie dish. Cut to fit pie dish and cut remaining pastry into a strip 1" wide. Place strip on the rim of the pie dish, previously brushed with cold water. Brush pastry rim with cold water and cover with pastry top. Seal, trim and decorate edge. Cut a vent to allow steam to escape and decorate with pastry scraps shaped into leaves, if you like. Brush with egg glaze and bake for 20 – 30 minutes. Serve hot.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:59 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

The Pie

The Humble pie has been a staple in the iet of mine for as long as I can remember. I have had the pleasure of eating some very good pies and some shockers in my time. Some of my favourite are Steak and Cheese, Bacon and Egg, or Chicken and vegetable.
These haave been made in every way though usually with Fakey Puff Pastry top and bottom.
Old 04-11-2005, 08:50 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Well Im taking on this project tomorrow. I already picked up some pilsbury pie crusts (they are suprisingly good for this kind of project), some steak to chop up and the other ingredients. I am leaving out the kidney because my roomie is a total wimp when it comes to organ meats. He cant even eat liver! Still I think I might replace the kidney for about 1inch chunks of this great suthern sausage that I have. It's heavy on beef hearts and other organ meats yet the roomie has eaten it with no prob in the past so that looks like a good substitution.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:25 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

To The Z

If you want some pie recipes then go into google and type in "meat pie recipes". The results are quite spectacular.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:35 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

Reminds me of a hilarious book I just finished, "Wilt" by Tom Sharpe....
Old 05-06-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Daisy: I did a similar pie not long ago but it had a bottle of guiness extra stout in it. You need to give that a try! Its surprisingly good... a nice touch of body and bitter to the meat and it ends up making a very solid gravy once it cooks down, which is kinda weird actually.
Old 05-08-2005, 02:11 PM   #19
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
English meat pies can be horrible, I so miss a good Aussie meat pie, eaten whilst watching AFL on the telly, and with a cold beer near by. English meat pies are a lot drier, and are made with larger pieces of indistinguishable meat, rather than mince. Often with potato as well. The pastry is different too, as dear Haggis eluded to, it is a cold water pastry - similar to that on Pork Pies, not crispy and flaky like an Aussie meat pie.

I make miniature ones to a recipe too much like Haggis' for it to be beneficial for me to post. They are always popular at work, despite people asking where I caught the kangaroo in the wilds of Lancashire to put in the pie. I tell them I used the neighbours cat instead!!! Joking of course.
Old 05-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
G'day Kyles,

Good to see such a well titled thread reopened.

The good ol' Aussie Dog's eye. I'm a pie eater from way back. Although there are many excellent pies shops throughout Oz, the worst I ever ate were purchased from Central Railway Station in Sydney, followed by Mrs Macs massed produced packs of yuck (sorry Haggis). The best were made by a pair of old ladies in Ettalong years ago & they would only bake on Thurs, Fri & Sat, that's all they do. The next best are Blakeys pies from East Maitland & Kurri Kurri then Crofts from Aberdeen (on New England Highway). I don't like the mass produced muck - Big Ben, Sargents, 4 & 20 Mrs Macs etc, when compared to the small bakeries, they are all second rate.

You said you liked sitting in front of the telly watching AFL with pie in one hand & beer in the other. Nah....

On the sideline at the Aussie Rules (or Rugby - go the 'Tahs), in the frezzing rain, stubbie in the Drizabone pocket, hot pie keeping yer face from freezing & jumping around like a lunatic to keep warm, now that's life.

I've copied the recipes, but I cheat with the crusts. I use either commercial flaky or shortcrust pastry for the base & puff for the top. Also use braized steak (or lamb) on occasions for the filling. Braized Lamb with mint gravy is brilliant if you like lamb. All you do is braize up your lamb & in the last 5 minutes throw in heaps of mint & a dose of vinegar & mix it up - don't overcook the mint or it will lose it's flavour.

Tags
None