"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Oh sorry
You have to saute the garlic paste with coriander, peppercorns, and mustard paste.

radhuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:55 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Burmese/Thai Tomato-based Curry Sauce

This is a recipe for a tomato-based curry gravy. What’s unusual about this recipe is that it contains typical Southeast Asian ingredients like soy sauce, fish sauce, and lemongrass, but not the ubiquitous coconut milk.

INGREDIENTS
1-inch ball - Tamarind
2 tblspns - Tomato paste
3 stalks - Lemongrass, white part, chopped fine
1 large or 2 medium - Red or yellow onions, diced medium
3 to 6 red chilies - Fresh or dry ok. If dry, soak in warm water for 1 hr
4 cloves - Fresh garlic, chopped medium
1 inch piece - Fresh ginger, copped medium
1 tspn - Cumin Powder
6 to 8 - Curry leaves
2 inch piece - Turmeric root chopped fine, or ¼-tspn turmeric powder
2 tblspns - Peanut or vegetable oil
Salt to taste

2 cups - Water
1 tspn - Light soy sauce
1 tspn - Fish sauce or ½-tspn shrimp paste
2 tblspns - Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped fine

PREPARATION

Soak the tamarind in 1 cup of water and microwave for 30 secs. Remove and allow to soak and cool for an hour. Use fingers to knead and break down the tamarind. Strain and collect tamarind liquid (extract). Discard solids.

Grind to fine paste: Onions, chopped lemongrass, red chilies, garlic, ginger, turmeric or turmeric root, cumin powder.

Add oil to a pan and heat over medium high. Add curry leaves (CAREFUL – the hot oil will sputter and splash!). Immediately add the finely-ground spice paste from above. Stir constantly and continue to cook till paste reduces in volume to nearly half. This will take 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure not to burn the paste.

Add half the tamarind extract and continue to cook for about 60 seconds, stirring constantly.

Add soy sauce and fish sauce (or shrimp paste) and continue to stir and cook for 60 seconds.

Add tomato paste. Stir well to mix and cook until the raw flavor disappears. This should take 5 to 10 minutes. Again, make sure not to burn the mixture.

Add 2 cups of water and simmer over low heat. Add salt to suit your taste. Taste, and add more tamarind extract to suit your taste. The curry gravy is ready.

NOTE 1
You can use this gravy with veggies, chicken, beef, or hard boiled eggs. The spices are too mild for lamb, and lamb is therefore not recommended. To add vegetables, boil the veggies in lightly salted water until they are about 80 percent cooked; then add to curry gravy and simmer till fully cooked. If using chicken or beef, cut into bite size pieces and cook in broth. I use plan water with a couple of cubes of bullion, or add a couple of tablespoons of old curry powder that has lost its flavor and will likely be tossed! Boil till fully cooked. Then add to the gravy and simmer for 15 minutes over low heat. If using hard boiled eggs, shell the eggs and cut in half length-wise. Add to gravy and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat. In all cases, garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.

NOTE 2
You can find tamarind in Asian or Indian grocery store. I prefer the Thai or Indian brands which come in the form of a 4 in by 5 in by 1 in slab, wrapped in plastic. I do not recommend the tamarind paste that you can buy in a little plastic can/tub. If you cannot find tamarind, replace with 3 medium sized ripe tomatoes. Boil in water for a couple of minutes and immediately dunk into iced water. Remove skin and puree. Add the tomato puree immediately after the tomato paste step described above. Cook till the raw flavor disappears. Add 1 cup of water instead of 2, and simmer.

Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Chicken Saagwala - Is there an authentic Recipe out there?

Hello. Would anyone out there mind offering a bit of assistance?

I am trying to find a Chicken Saagwala recipe which is similar to the Chicken Saagwala I enjoy a local Indian Restaurant, Red Chiles.

It would be nice to be able to surprise my fiancee with a birthday present of his favorite dish and of course, its a favorite of mine as well.

Researching online, I see many different options but all use tomatoes and from looking at the dark green creamy saagwala, I can't possibly imagine tomatoes in it.

This certainly does contain a large amount of puree'd spinach and when it is served, it has a white streak ladeled into the dish which I imagine to be cream or possible yogurt thinned liquid.

Does anyone out there have any authentic recipes to offer which might fit this description? The dish has a small 1" stick of cinnamon in it which I find when eating so I know there is some cinnamon yet it doesn't taste like it really.

Your help is so very much appreciated. Thank you.

Peace & love,
Stacie
Old 12-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #14
Head Chef

Try this recipe, I make it with both lamb and chicken but only once in a while since it's pretty rich and some work but hopefully should be similar to what you eat at a restaurant.

First Step:

You need spinach - If you want to save time, use frozen chopped spinach it works very well. I would suggest using atleast 3 small packets of chopped frozen spinach
1 large onions finely chopped
1 large tomato finely chopped
1 jalapeno finely chopped
1 tbsp of minced garlic
1 tbsp of minced ginger
2 tsps of ground cumin powder
2 tsps of ground corrainder powder
Note: Best to dry roast whole seeds and grind them in a coffee grinder
salt to taste
1 tbsp of oil

First add some oil in a pan, add the onions and cook them until almost lightly brown. Next add the ginger, garlic and saute them for a minute, next add the jalapeno pepper, tomato salt and spinach. Cover and let this all cook for 15 minutes until the spinach has absorbed all the flavors.

Now take a hand blender or regular blender and puree this mixture. Reserve.

Now starts Step 2 (You need the following)

One whole chicken - Skinned and cut into small peices
6 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 tsp of cumin seeds
1/2 cup of cream
Pureed spinach
3 tbsp of butter

In a pan, add the butter. When it's melted add the cumin seeds and garlic and toast it a bit until a nice aroma develops (garlic should be slightly brown). Next add the spinach puree and chicken. Cover and let this cook on low until the chicken is tender. Chicken will release a lot of water. So ensure you don't add any water. At the end you you should be left with a medium thick green gravy with the chicken in it. You can then stir in the cream and let it simmer for 5 minutes. It should resemble a thick gravy not runny, if it's runny reduce it more before you add the cream.

You can serve with a swirl of just plain cream on the top as garnish. There are some great naan's available in the frozen section of Indian stores now a days. You can try one of the tandoori naans that tastes very authentic.
Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #15
Master Chef

I have to say I've gotten lazy when it comes to Indian food. A friend introduced me to Kitchens of India, and it is a staple in our home. If it is too mild I zip it up a little, and I always have a store of basmati rice. I still have a store of some basic spices and do occaisionally try from scratch. Even have a curry plant growing in my kitchen to freshen the flavor. But unless you cook it every day, trying to keep a cupboard full of the spices and keep them fresh is too much. Thank you, kitchens of India!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:01 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

Indian recipes great ones
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Choco Frozen Cake

Ingredients

glucose biscuits 4 packs
drinking chocolate 400 gms
cocoa powder 200 gms
coffee powder 50 gms
dry coconut powder 200 gms
sugar as per taste

Method

Make some coffee solution Put some coffee in water and mix well
Dip the glucose biscuits in a coffee solution and arrange it in a layer in a tray Now mix cocoa powder and drinking chocolate 1: 2 .
Add sugar to taste and form a paste with water Now spread this paste on the layer of biscuits Sprinkle coconut powder on it Now again form a layer of biscuits by dipping them in sugar over this chocolate covered layer
And repeat the same steps Add up to 4 or 5 layers of biscuits
Then completely cover it with chocolate paste and garnish completely with coconut powder Keep it in freezer for an hour .The choco frozen cake is ready.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:55 AM   #18
Assistant Cook

They have good curry sauce and curry sauce mix in the British section of Publix supermarket. I am intimidated by the long lists of ingredients and processes in many Indian recipes, but I do love Indian cuisine. Amy's frozen meals include some delicious Indian offerings. I wish I knew how to make them!

Tags
None