Authentic Chicken Marsala

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchenelf

Chef Extraordinaire
Authentic Chicken Marsala Recipe

I am a HUGE fan of Marsala. Marsala is a rich, fortified wine from Sicily. Quite delicious on its own, and also very tasty in meat dishes!

1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 chicken breasts, boned, skinless
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup Marsala wine
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/2 lemon

Mix together the flour, salt and pepper. Roll the chicken in this until well coated. Heat up the olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides. Now put chicken onto a plate. Pour wine into the oil and warm. Mix in the mushrooms, chicken stock and juice of the lemon. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add in chicken and cook covered another 10 minutes. Serve over egg noodles.

***I always modify a recipe, what can I say :roll:

I did use 2 packs of sliced mushrooms (we love them!!) and I did pound out the chicken breasts a little. Once the final cooking was done I removed the breasts and wisked in a couple more TBS of butter. That's all...nothing earth-shattering 8)

sounds really good--minus the mushrooms for me, of course. Now I know what you're thinking, kitchenelf: without the mushrooms it's not Chicken Marsala!!
But I guarantee I'll make it, probably love it, then grow to appreciate the mushrooms in my later years. :D
one other question: in case i go to the closest liquor store and they don't have Marsala wine (it's probably everywhere, but I don't know because I'm not a wine drinker) is there a comparable wine I could buy??
Oh, and also why did you pound the chicken breasts? Is it a personal preference?

Thanks,

carnivore, I think the dish would still be good without the mushrooms - but not without the Marsala wine! LOL You should find it where the wines are - ours are in the grocery store versus the liquor store - it's not expensive AT ALL - it's really quite inexpensive!!

Since you won't have the mushrooms cooking in the wine and chicken stock just remove the chicken after it browns, use the wine and stock to deglaze the pan (it will steam will be quite intense so be careful when you add the wine) - anyway, deglaze the pan and let this mixture reduce and cook for about 10-15 minutes, add chicken back to pan and let cook the rest of the way. Then add your butter to give the broth some body.

I pound out the chicken breasts because they cook much quicker and are more tender, IMH anyway.

Marsala has such a different taste that I really couldn't recommend a comparable substitute. Burgundy or Cabernet, or any red, would give it a nice flavor but Marsala is sweeter with a unique flavor all its own.

kitchenelf,
I'm double posting this to make sure you see it, but i tried your Chicken Marsala recipe tonight, and the girlfriend & i both loved it!
I will admit to (quote unquote) "severely" changing the amounts of certain ingredients, but I didn't add or take away any of them (except for the mushrooms, of course). oh, and i threw some salt, pepper, & butter on the egg noodles.
this one's definitely going in my collection, filed under "super-good". :!:

Hi,

Ever since I had chicken marsala at a local Italian restaraunt, I've tried to make it at home - sort if inventing as I went along.

I have a question: should the Marsala be sweet or dry?

SandyJ

Good question Sandyj!!!!!

I used the Superiore, which is a sweet but not overly sweet. If you are not fond of sweetness in your food (which some people are not) you can always use the dry. Either one is proper though - I've seen recipes both ways.

kitchenelf said:
Good question Sandyj!!!!!

I used the Superiore, which is a sweet but not overly sweet. If you are not fond of sweetness in your food (which some people are not) you can always use the dry. Either one is proper though - I've seen recipes both ways.

Thank You! I was thinking I was the only one who preferred sweet marsala in cooking.

Kitchenelf,
just spotted your recipe :D I love anything Marsala...I like the idea of egg noodles. They will be a nice change from garlic mashed potatoes...Thanks for the idea and the recipe.
Kadesma

LOL, I don't know how old you are but I loved it when garlic mashed potatoes took the place of egg noodles - now I'm glad to be "back to basics"! LOL Nothing better than plain egg noodles - even with just a tad of butter, garlic salt, Parmesan, and Oregano.

Kitchenelf, you might say older than dirt :LOL: I'm a grandma in her 60's :) Back to basics is a nice change... I still love garlic mashed potatoes, but the egg noodles sound so good...I'm planning sunday dinner around your recipe...Always have all my kids here on sundays and they take turns requesting dinner...This Sunday it's my turn... Thanks again.
Kadesma

Unfortunately for this dish no other wine will do. There really is no substitute for marsala. Nothing else tastes like it.

I prefer to use dry marsala, but I am not a big fan of sweet things, especially with meat, but I have had it both ways and each are delicious.

I do not like mushrooms either, but I am trying to learn to like them. I have made this dish both with and without and I have to say that if I am ever to learn to enjoy mushrooms then it will probably be in chicken marsala.

Kitchenelf wrote:
Authentic Chicken Marsala Recipe

I don't know about kitchen
Kitchenelf_anim.gif
but I certainly will be
goblin-anim.gif
this one up!!!

Well, I'm right there with you (almost). I hope you enjoy your Sunday dinner!!! I really miss those dinners with my parents.

I love this recipe, simple to the point, the delicious end result. keep coming back to it time after time.

Noting that the OP is from 2003...

KE, I like your idea of adding lemon. I hadn't thought of that in my own Chicken Marsala recipe.

Carnivore, the breasts cook more quickly if they aren't too thick, and if you don't pound them then you may overcook other elements of the recipe by the time the breasts are fully cooked in the middle.

You should pick sweet Marsala over dry Marsala. (I tested this. And it is of course my opinion.) If you can't find Marsala then you can cook a similar recipe using sweet cream Sherry or Madeira. IMO I would stay away from robust red wines.

I can't comprehend this recipe without mushrooms, but I love mushrooms.

With noodles sounds good. With garlic mashed potatoes sounds good. I usually serve my Chicken Marsala with wild brown rice.

GB, well it won't be Chicken Marsala if you don't use Marsala, it could be a tasty recipe with some other wine. Those who can't or won't use wine might cook a similar recipe substituting chicken stock. I'm glad I don't have to do this...

Charlie, did you reply to some 1 time 1der who revived the topic, perhaps to post a spam? :) And then the moderators deleted the post you replied to? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Evening.

Half Italian and living part of the time in Puglia, I would definitely recommend pasta, linguini or spaghetti with Chicken or veal Marsala.

Have a nice Holiday and wkend.
Margi.

Back
Top Bottom