Authentic Japanese Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just posted this on another thread but maybe it is more appropriate here.

Not really authentic Japanese but consider making California hand rolls or temaki. The ingredients are all pretty easy to prepare. The hardest item is probably the sushi rice itself. All other items are just simply sliced.

You can be creative with the ingredients depending on your taste and preference. You can be a little more authentic by using shrimp roe (ebiko) and raw salmon or you can be blasphemous and use hot dog and omelette strips.

The best part is that the kids have lots of fun making their own rolls and customizing their ingredients.

I was tempted to make spicy tuna roll tonight (I was frustrated about another cooking problem that I couldn't work around) so I pulled out my makisu and found out I had mistaken a roll of makisu-like coasters, cute little coasters patterned on the look of the makisu. I have 2-3 makisus but they're in my storage. (Makisus are more or less disposable--limited life--so they cost only $2-$3 here in local Asian markets.

So there I was, got the tuna, got the special rice, got the nori, wanted to make home made mayonnaise but that's another subject (at least I've got store mayonnaise), got the Sriracha sauce... But no makisu. I considered just hand rolling... I haven't done that before but it looked viable...

But I found another dinner choice that was more viable. I'm heading out to buy another makisu since it would take hours to find one in my storage unit...

Today is probably my worst cooking day in years. I'm lucky I didn't go to sleep hungry. (Yeah, okay, never mind that I have about 100 fast food joints with 1 mile driving distance, and 2-3 markets.)

Thank you for sharing Jason :)

Hi everyone, here is a nice recipe for Shumai:

24 wonton skins
300 g lean ground beef
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
1½ tbsp sesame oil
2½ tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp green peas
Mix ginger root, onion, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn starch and add the mix to the lean ground beef. Stir and mix well until the mixture becomes sticky. Divide into 22-24 fillings and place on the center of the wonton skins. Forn the wonton skins into "bowls" with flat bottoms. Place a geen pea on the center of the filling. Steam 12-14 minutes over high heat.

The skins may also be seald in shaped into "half moons". Deep-fry in oil (180°C) until golden.

http://www.mediafire.com/?707ca1xzc936xu6

Getting your teeth into Japanese

A single new thread for Japanese Cuisine? Not feasible. But what you are asking for anyway is how to get started with it, and I have good recommendations, from easy pub food to beyond scary:

First up is an utterly-informal approach to loud, boozy food: Izakaya: The Japanese Pub Cookbook.

Next up is the slightly-more-formal Japanese Soul Cooking: Ramen, Tonkatsu, Tempura, and More from the Streets and Kitchens of Tokyo and Beyond. It includes things that look very un-Japanese, like Hiroshima-Style Okonomiyaki, which looks identical to the six-egg omelettes-with-everything-in-the-fridge that I made when I was twelve and Mum was taking a nap. (Somehow, she always instantly knew when she woke up!)

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a154/foodhoe/july07/iz_modern.jpg

A great, fun book.

Just a bit more formal, but still an excellent book for rookies, is Simply Japanese: Modern Cooking for the Healthy Home. The elegantly-coiffed-and-coutured author gave me pause, but she really knows her subject. She's serious about the word "simple." If you follow her instructions, great dishes result. (And, if you have kids, you can throw a rice-paper-making party followed by a rice-paper-airplane competition!)

If you want full-bore Japanese, though, you need Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art. It's a modern tome that covers the entire topic, brilliant but daunting.

And one more, just in case you're as utterly nuts as I am: The Book of Tofu & Miso. Not one but two massive tomes. Did you know that you can make delicious tofu from edamame?

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-...YITwvHRet7kGuUsIKJJNctLACCo/s640/DSC04189.JPG

Bring a vegan date home and serve that? You will get lucky. Enjoy!

I had only one experience in my life at a Japanese restaurant. You know the type. You all sit around with strangers while the cook shows off his skills.

Worst food I have ever tried. I ended up just pushing the food around my plate and couldn't get out of there fast enough. He kept pouring all these sauces from an array of bottle on all the food. More show than good eats. :angel:

Last edited:
I had only one experience in my life at a Japanese restaurant. You know the type. You all sit around with strangers while the cook shows off his skills.

I wouldn't really call them Japanese restaurants, at least in the authentic sense. I believe the "teppan" style of cooking was primarily created for the Western market after WWII.

This post is from 2012, so the original poster (OP) probably won't see your response.

Oops. Thanks for the tip: I'll try to remember that. But it's searchable, and hard-won info, so no harm, no foul. And besides, I tend to talk too much, so if it just falls off the edge of the world, no bother.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom