"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-24-2012, 12:25 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

Hi everyone, here is a nice recipe for Shumai:

24 wonton skins
300 g lean ground beef
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp green peas
Mix ginger root, onion, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn starch and add the mix to the lean ground beef. Stir and mix well until the mixture becomes sticky. Divide into 22-24 fillings and place on the center of the wonton skins. Forn the wonton skins into "bowls" with flat bottoms. Place a geen pea on the center of the filling. Steam 12-14 minutes over high heat.

The skins may also be seald in shaped into "half moons". Deep-fry in oil (180C) until golden.

Old 02-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #32
Master Chef

^^^ Train station shumai in bento boxes rule. But traditionally, shumai in Japan uses pork fillings.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:13 PM   #33
Head Chef

My parents have been visiting the past two months. Also traveling to visit with other family scattered about the U.S. They finally returned to Japan yesterday. My mother and I have been trading cooking duties, she mostly Japanese and Asian, me mostly Western to change up our meals. For our last lunch yesterday, my last chance for homemade authentic Japanese in her mind, my mother made plain inari zushi pockets, white miso soup with spinach and shiitake mushrooms, and grilled kaba yaki mackerel.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
My parents have been visiting the past two months. Also traveling to visit with other family scattered about the U.S. They finally returned to Japan yesterday. My mother and I have been trading cooking duties, she mostly Japanese and Asian, me mostly Western to change up our meals. For our last lunch yesterday, my last chance for homemade authentic Japanese in her mind, my mother made plain inari zushi pockets, white miso soup with spinach and shiitake mushrooms, and grilled kaba yaki mackerel.
So, because you cooked mostly Western food for her, your mum thinks you can't cook authentic Japanese food.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #35
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Yum! I miss my Aunt Koby's cooking, she was my Godmother, Lily Kobayashi. I'm very happy you were able to enjoy your parents brief stay and get some Mom food!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:01 PM   #36
Master Chef

It's the comfort food that you find only at these hole-in-the-wall eateries in Japanese communities.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #37
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMann View Post
Hi everyone, here is a nice recipe for Shumai:

24 wonton skins
300 g lean ground beef
2 tbsp fresh grated ginger root
2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
1 tbsp soy sauce
tsp sugar
1 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp green peas
Mix ginger root, onion, soy sauce, sugar, sesame oil and corn starch and add the mix to the lean ground beef. Stir and mix well until the mixture becomes sticky. Divide into 22-24 fillings and place on the center of the wonton skins. Forn the wonton skins into "bowls" with flat bottoms. Place a geen pea on the center of the filling. Steam 12-14 minutes over high heat.

The skins may also be seald in shaped into "half moons". Deep-fry in oil (180C) until golden.

That is going into a Bento!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #38
Head Chef

Part of the Japanese psyche, and approach to food, is being comfortable in second place, understated, a student, just knowing that a practiced twitch of the sword would have killed versus an honorable draw. I was a happy slave to vigorously wave a paper fan and cool my mum's sushi rice as she sprinkled toasted sesame seeds into it. Less so with the task of filling each fried tofu pocket. Lesser so with washing the laquerware after our lunch. And so it goes to get good.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 PM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I used to fan rice for Koby, when I was little I thought it was to keep me busy and away from the knives. Has to be why I'm so interested in cooking Japanese. I remember doing some of the same things and tasting the same flavors when I was young. Koby's daughter was my Mom's best friend in high school. I spent a lot of time in her flower shop and kitchen.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #40
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
No, by all means, continue!

I'm a sponge when it comes to this stuff. Granted, I might not retain all of it because I'm kind of a leaky sponge but I'll take all I can get!
I agree 100%!!!

Tags
other