Authentic Japanese Cuisine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
I asked about authentic Japanese recipes and Princess Fiona suggested a new thread.

I made sushi once and it was barely passable because I was lazy about getting the proper recipe for it.

So how about this? Regarding the fundamentals of Japanese cuisine, does anyone have any favorites?

All good cooking starts with the basics! :chef:

I don't understand how one topic could cover all authentic Japanese cuisine. That's the topic for thousands of cookbooks, hundreds of websites, and that's only the most popular.

I like Japanese cuisine too. Perhaps you should narrow it down.

I don't understand how one topic could cover all authentic Japanese cuisine. That's the topic for thousands of cookbooks, hundreds of websites, and that's only the most popular.

I like Japanese cuisine too. Perhaps you should narrow it down.

Well, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "where do I start?"

There are ingredient lists on the site, too. They can help you find what you need to get started. And there are a few of us who really enjoy helping each other along. Spork is a fantastic resource and Powerplantop has really good videos on you tube for techniques. Kathleen and I are Bento Queens...

Well, I guess I was thinking more along the lines of "where do I start?"

Start by frequenting Japanese restaurants in your locale, order interesting dishes.

sushi
sashimi
teriyaki beef or chicken
teppan
teppanyaki
tonkatsu
tempura shrimp
tempura vegetables

Visit a local Japanese restaurant and order a California roll (no raw fish) as an appetizer and then follow it with a mixed tempura shrimp and vegetables and share that with your partner/guest with teriyaki chicken, beef or a mix of the two.

Get The Great Sushi and Sashimi Cookbook (641.5952 G7865 at the library) which is part of an editorial series (no author to cite). (Amazon link) Oddly, a Canadian publisher, but the best sushi cookbook I've found. The essential element of my own sushi cookbook collection--a collection of perhaps only 1-2 books, lol. It is IMO the best sushi cookbook out there and the best starter cookbook for anybody wanting to know the sushi basics. It has everything you need to know in just one book. I reviewed dozens of sushi cookbooks from my public library and this is the one I bought. I suggest more books if you want to understand Japanese cuisine in general but this is the single book if you want to understand sushi. IMO.

Last edited:
Bento cooking is my passion. I love the boxes and taking my lunch in them. I just learned this style of cooking recently for portion control and the thrill of the cuisine.

The important thing to remember is, you don't need all the flash cooking items, you could go broke buying them. As soon as you can create the passable Sushi and know you will be making the rice often, THEN you get the Zojirushi Rice Cooker. (I also cook my oatmeal in the rice cooker)

Technique and basics. Learn to make Dashi first, it's the broth you cook your rice in. Start slow and build up. Learn how to make Miso Soup.

You don't need the bamboo mat to make Sushi Rolls, you can use plastic wrap, waxed paper, etc. Get the technique first. And for goodness sake, ask questions.

Oops, evidently I suck.

Greg and Fiona, that's good advice. I'm looking forward to it!

Luckily, the local Kroger here in the middle of no where has a pretty decent selection of ethnic foods.

There are resources galore, but I would pick up at least one cookbook. Exact title doesn't matter, as long as it's generically dedicated to Japanese. Almost all such ethnic cookbooks will necessarily contain some basic foundation info. It'll get your Charcoal fired up...

While it's not a requisite, I highly recommend that you also acquire some Japanese tableware and eating utensils. The reason is not just aesthetic or culinary motivation; they are shaped that way precisely because of how the food is cooked and presented.

As always, if you try with enthusiasm, success will follow.

Last edited:
I think of Japanese food as simple ingredients cooked to perfection or prepared to perfection if they are raw. Technique and ceremony are a major component too. Trials, even if not perfect are pretty tasty since the ingredients are usually not that complicated.

Homemade sushi becomes more difficult because of the ingredients are harder to find in the grade that is safe or been treated to eat raw.

As far as cooked dishes I love fish collars with spicy ponzu.
Agadashi tofu
broiled mussels
grilled anything
Miso soups
cucumber salads
Raw oysters with ponzu and sri hacha
terriyake anything
incredible ommelettes
tempuras

We make some homemade sushi at home but without raw ingredients.
We use:
fake crab and lobster
cooked shrimp
smoked salmon
grilled fish
rare beef with korean spices
avacado and other friuts and vegggies
seaweed salad (most restaurants buy theirs anyway)

We also have a variety of dumplings in the freezer at any given time since they are my Kryptomite.

Just play around and have some fun. Technique will improve with practice like anything else. Sake will make any mistakes unnoticeable.

Grrrrrrr. wth, Typed out a long"ish" post, and the site timed out. .

Will try again in the am. .

I've had that happen when checking a reference then going back to my post only to find it gone.

Now I write up long posts in Works, then paste to a post. You might try that next time TATTRAT.

I love sushi and it is one of the few things that I have said I don't think I could actually make. Thanks for these links because now I may just be able to conquer it :)

Back
Top Bottom