"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-23-2005, 01:12 PM   #11
Chief Eating Officer

Yeah both the chili and the chimichanga mixture (they were not mixed together. Sorry if that was confusing to anyone ).

I was bored one day so I decided to see what I could put in the egg roll wrappers. I was on a quest to see how many different portable foods I could come up with. Egg rolls work well. The others, not so much.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #12
Master Chef

Here's a recipe I have in my collection. I like that this uses Phyllo as my grocery store tends to not have egg roll wrappers on a regular basis.

Baked Spring Rolls with Crab

1 Tbsp olive oil
½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
2 stalks celery from the heart, chopped fine
6 water chestnuts, chopped fine
½ small onion, chopped fine
¼ c fresh bean sprouts, chopped
2 (6 oz) cans lump crab meat, drained, flaked
2 Tbsp dark soy, such as Tamari
½ tsp dried thyme leaves
4 (13x17”) sheets defrosted phyllo dough
3 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 400F.

Add oil to a preheated skillet over medium to medium high heat. Sauté pepper, celery, water chestnuts, and onion 2-3 minutes. Veggies should still have a little crunch. Transfer to a bowl. Add bean sprouts, crab, soy and thyme. Combine well with a spoon. Paint half of a sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter and fold sheet in half. Pile a few spoonfuls of filling 2” from the bottom of sheet and leaving 2” at either side of sheet. Fold bottom flap up and side edges in, then roll up and over until you reach the top of the sheet. Your crab pastry will look like a spring roll. Touch the edges and sides of your roll with melted butter and place roll seem side down on a pastry sheet. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo. Bake rolls in the center of the oven, 15 minutes or until lightly golden all over.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:43 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Baker
Here's a recipe I have in my collection. I like that this uses Phyllo as my grocery store tends to not have egg roll wrappers on a regular basis.

Baked Spring Rolls with Crab

1 Tbsp olive oil
½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
2 stalks celery from the heart, chopped fine
6 water chestnuts, chopped fine
½ small onion, chopped fine
¼ c fresh bean sprouts, chopped
2 (6 oz) cans lump crab meat, drained, flaked
2 Tbsp dark soy, such as Tamari
½ tsp dried thyme leaves
4 (13x17”) sheets defrosted phyllo dough
3 Tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 400F.

Add oil to a preheated skillet over medium to medium high heat. Sauté pepper, celery, water chestnuts, and onion 2-3 minutes. Veggies should still have a little crunch. Transfer to a bowl. Add bean sprouts, crab, soy and thyme. Combine well with a spoon. Paint half of a sheet of phyllo dough with melted butter and fold sheet in half. Pile a few spoonfuls of filling 2” from the bottom of sheet and leaving 2” at either side of sheet. Fold bottom flap up and side edges in, then roll up and over until you reach the top of the sheet. Your crab pastry will look like a spring roll. Touch the edges and sides of your roll with melted butter and place roll seem side down on a pastry sheet. Repeat with remaining sheets of phyllo. Bake rolls in the center of the oven, 15 minutes or until lightly golden all over.
Wow, PA, does this look good!!! Thank you. Thinking this might work with shrimp, salmon, tuna, maybe won tons skins...lotsa ideas to experiment with.

Tags
None