"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 05:11 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Bamboo shoots from a can

I have eaten Chinese from ( either take out / or at the restaurant ) on the average of once a week for the past 30 + years. I also cook a Chinese based dish on the average of once a week. I have eaten at Chinese restaurants in more than half the states and in all the major cities I have visited over the years.
The one thing I notice when I compare the restaurant food to my own cooked food is that their Bamboo shoots don't have that ' Right out of the can' taste. Sure, ive had dishes where they cut up the bamboo shoots from those larger chunks you get at the Asian stores (usually soaking in water). Ive purchased those in the past, and obviously they dont have that canned taste. But the other dishes are clearly from a can. They have that typical perfect thin, rectangular shape.

Its not that Im offended by the canned flavor, as Im used to it, but I was wondering of they either do something special to them prior to cooking ( like soaking them in something or pre cooking them prior to adding them to the dish, or is it just the brand that they buy, which doesn't have that canned flavor. I've bought probably a dozen or so different brands of canned bamboo shoots over the years ( I do have my favorite , the cheapest one ) but Im always looking for a brand that doesn't have that distinctive flavor.

I've also bought the fresh chunked ones and cut them up, and they dont have that same flavor.

The baby corn and water chestnuts have a similar, but milder situation , so Im not sure if something is being done to them too prior to cooking.

Anyway, if this makes sense to someone and they know the answer , let me know. If it doesn't make sense to anyone , just chalk it off as me being crazy

larry_stewart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

The recipe that I use for Hot and Sour soup says to drain them, cover with water by 2 inches in a small saucepan, bring just to a boil, then drain. The reason given is to remove any bitterness, but it gets rid of the canned taste too.

I've run across similar directions for water chestnuts, but don't remember the particulars or what recipe it was from. Just happened to have made the soup recently.

medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 08:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef

When I serve escargot (canned), all instructions invariably say to soak in several changes of water to get rid of the canned taste. I have done this and it works.

Larry, I too, get that 'canned' flavour from all you mentioned, baby corn, bamboo shoots and a bit from water chestnuts. Although I rarely eat out, I had noticed those flavours don't appear but I sorta thought perhaps as restaurants they had access to types I didn't.

In one meal I made the bamboo shoots were such a strong flavour of canned the meal was ruined for me. Nobody else seemed to really notice.
It turned me off of them but now I will try soaking them - even up to a day ahead, if I can remember!

No, you are not crazy - your taste buds are fine!
Old 11-03-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

When I use canned artichokes, I simmer them for a few minutes in water with lemon juice and a bay leaf. That seems to get rid of the canned flavor. You could try that with something you're using in your recipe, like garlic, ginger and chives.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:41 PM   #5
Head Chef

Something that I found in an early Chinese CB of mine, was to SF the drained bamboo shoots, and other canned vegetables, for 1 min, then dump onto a paper towel on a plate, and blot the oil off. This definitely helps reduce the "canned taste". I usually try not use them, but occasionally, like when I made those fire noodles last week, I couldn't find any jicama or kohlrabi - my two favorite "crispy substitutions" when making Chinese and similar dishes.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:11 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperhead212 View Post
Something that I found in an early Chinese CB of mine, was to SF the drained bamboo shoots, and other canned vegetables, for 1 min, then dump onto a paper towel on a plate, and blot the oil off. This definitely helps reduce the "canned taste". I usually try not use them, but occasionally, like when I made those fire noodles last week, I couldn't find any jicama or kohlrabi - my two favorite "crispy substitutions" when making Chinese and similar dishes.
What is SF?
Old 11-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
What is SF?
My guess is stir fry.
Old 11-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I feel like we shouldn't have to guess
Old 11-03-2019, 05:42 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
I feel like we shouldn't have to guess
So people shouldn't use very common abbreviation, such as SF, or MW, in case somebody might not know it? Or maybe somebody might think that MW means megawatt? What would be ok - c, tsp, tb, qt, gal, oz, g...I could go on with things that most of us use without thinking about them.
Old 11-03-2019, 06:07 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

OMG!
Old 11-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I figured out what SF was after thinking about it a bit. However, I have no idea what MW is. Nor all of us are up on shorthand speak.
Old 11-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Head Chef

MW = Microwave, and is often used in recipes, as a noun, or as a verb. As in - place in MW, and MW on 50% for 2 min. SF is often used in the same way - as a noun, as in a vegetarian SF, and, as I used it, describing the cooking method used.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

We do have a short list of abbreviations that are often used here on DC: Frequently Asked Questions

"c, tsp, tb, qt, gal, oz, g"

We tend to use C for cup and Tblsp or even just T for tablespoon.

I personally prefer to use "gr" for gram most of the time because it is clearer.
Old 11-03-2019, 10:17 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
My guess is stir fry.
Or San Francisco.

"Remember, all that matters in the end is getting the meal on the table." ~ Julia Child
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:26 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Or San Francisco.
Well, yeah, that was my first thought, but it doesn't really make any sense in context.
Old 11-04-2019, 06:04 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
MW = Microwave, and is often used in recipes, as a noun, or as a verb. As in - place in MW, and MW on 50% for 2 min. SF is often used in the same way - as a noun, as in a vegetarian SF, and, as I used it, describing the cooking method used.
You obviously use different recipes than me then, as I've never seen SF or MW used in a recipe. The words are always written out.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:59 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
So people shouldn't use very common abbreviation, such as SF, or MW, in case somebody might not know it? Or maybe somebody might think that MW means megawatt? What would be ok - c, tsp, tb, qt, gal, oz, g...I could go on with things that most of us use without thinking about them.
SF is not a common abbreviation. It's hardly comparable to measurement abbreviations and I've never seen it, or MW, in a recipe. I really didn't expect that type of overreaction to a simple suggestion. Calm down and write whatever you want. Yeesh.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
SF is not a common abbreviation. It's hardly comparable to measurement abbreviations and I've never seen it, or MW, in a recipe. I really didn't expect that type of overreaction to a simple suggestion. Calm down and write whatever you want. Yeesh.
I agree. They are not common abbreviations. I could only discern SF from the context of the post but even then it took a bit of brain work. Id never identify MW as an abbreviation at all.

Measurement abbreviations, on the other hand, are ages old and well understood.

ROFLMAO
Old 11-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
You obviously use different recipes than me then, as I've never seen SF or MW used in a recipe. The words are always written out.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I agree. They are not common abbreviations. I could only discern SF from the context of the post but even then it took a bit of brain work. Id never identify MW as an abbreviation at all.

Measurement abbreviations, on the other hand, are ages old and well understood.

ROFLMAO
I agree. It did take a bit of re-reading before I figured out SF.
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #20
Executive Chef

LOL... one too many peppers for Dave!

Tags
None