Beef Enchiladas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
My mom used to make this recipe when I was a child. I just happened to come across it the other day in my files. I thought I had lost it. She got the recipe from a community cookbook.

Beef Enchiladas

3 tablespoons oil
3 tablespoons or more chili powder
1 tablespoon flour
1 can beef broth
1 large can whole tomatoes
1 package corn tortillas
1 lb. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 package Monterey jack cheese, shredded or more to taste

Heat oil, stir in chili powder and flour, and cook 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually add half of the broth, stirring until smooth. Add tomatoes; bring to a boil, crushing tomatoes with a spoon. Simmer, uncovered over low heat, stirring often for 20 minutes. Using a colander drain the sauce into another pan to cool. Be sure not to get any tomatoes in the sauce, just the juice. Sauté onions in a little oil, then brown ground beef. Drain. Add part of the cheese to meat and onions. Fry tortillas in hot oil, just until the tortillas are limp. Stack fried tortillas between paper towels to drain. Let cool. Dip tortillas in sauce and top with filling and roll up. Place in 9x13 – inch dish seam side down. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Cover with foil. Bake at 350º for 20 minutes. Increase heat to 425º. Remove foil, sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake 5 more minutes or until cheese melts. Makes 1 dozen.

Take one large beef roast, or turkey breast, and place in a slow cooker, or slow oven (temp around 200 to 250), in a covered roasting pan, add onions, garlic, and fresh cilantro, salt, and a bit of cumin. Cook for about 5 hours while you go about your everyday chores. Remove from the heat source to a platter, or work surface. Shred the meat with a fork. Use as the base for enchilada's, tacos, burritoes.

Serve with tortilla chips and tomato-based salsa, and fresh quacamole.
Yum :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Yes, yes, Goodweed!!!

Sierra, your recipe sounds wonderful! Instead of frying my tortillas before making and baking the enchiladas, I dip mine into hot stock for a few seconds...a tip supplied and echoed by several fantastic Hispanic home cooks around here. Downright delicious!

Goodweed of the North said:
Take one large beef roast, or turkey breast, and place in a slow cooker, or slow oven (temp around 200 to 250), in a covered roasting pan, add onions, garlic, and fresh cilantro, salt, and a bit of cumin. Cook for about 5 hours while you go about your everyday chores. Remove from the heat source to a platter, or work surface. Shred the meat with a fork. Use as the base for enchilada's, tacos, burritoes.

Serve with tortilla chips and tomato-based salsa, and fresh quacamole.
Yum :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Sounds yummy, Goodweed!! I will have to give it a try on a weekend.

Thanks for the tip, Audeo.

I'm making this for dinner tonight. Any substitutable cheese for monterrey jack? Also, for frying the tortillas in oil, do i have to submerge them completely in oil>?

You have no idea how glad I am to see some one post an enchilada recipy using corn tortillas. Most people I know think they are burritos drenched in sauce.

The recipe my sister (who lives in AZ) gave me calls for corn tortillas.

Haven't made then in a while. Now I have a hankering for some!

I made these last night, and they were delicious. I did however, tweak them.

I added sea salt and fresh black pepper to the Chili Sauce as it was cooking, along with one minced dried hot pepper.

I also added salt and pepper to the ground beef as it was cooking.
While the onion was sauteing preparing for the ground beef, i sauteed a large clove of garlic. I added a dash of worchestershire to the meat as well.

I used a blent of Monterrey Jack and Cheddar cheese.

delicious!

I have always made my enchiladas using corn tortillas. Rainee, where at in AZ does your sister live? I am in northern AZ.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom