"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 PM   #11
Master Chef

Do a google, there are the Chinese curries, Thai curries, Indian curries, and Malaysian curries. These are just the ones I know of, LOL. Don't confuse them as the colors are different on each, LOL, and you could end up with what you think is a mild one but instead it is way hot!
Love Malaysian curries, I can't recall the name of it but we had a great Malaysian curry with lamb shanks that was out of this world!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Curry is actually a method rather than a recipe. It's simmering meats, tofu and/or veggies in a highly seasoned, often at least a little spicy, liquid (broth or coconut milk). I've been making more curries and eating more spicy foods in the last year or so - I've learned a lot. Including the fact that hot foods are literally addictive - the heat causes pain, which causes the body to release serotonin, the brain's pleasure chemical, in response. So now you crave more heat to get the rush of serotonin Enjoy

Old 05-08-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Looks like I'll have to go curry paste shopping. Thanks, Mav!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Mav the grocery store was pretty limited on curry paste. I got a red one (as oppsed to green) but it doesn't say penang.
They probably have more at the store near my work, it's closer to the city.
Will it work or should I look again Saturday.....
Old 05-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #15
Master Chef

Depends on if it is a Thai curry paste. If it is, then red is hot. It will not be like Panang, and much hotter. Just a tip, whatever amount it says to use, the first time around only use 1/2 of it. Also, add in a tbsp or two of sugar as this will 'smooth' out the heat somewhat.
Reds are still good curries. Best with seafood IMHO.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
This is what I got. I'm going to see whats at the other store on Saturday too. If I dont see panang there I'll just have to go all the way into the city and try to avoid guilting myself into visiting my parents.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Master Chef

Yup, hotter than Panang, think authentic Texas chili LOL. Use less than it recommends as you can always add more if the taste is too thin, but you can never take it back out. Add the sugar too, it will help.
Good with most meats, but seafood is my preferred. I would say a can of coconut milk, a can of water, some sugar, shrimp, and serve it over brown rice or with crispy noodles (I haven't tried making those yet so can't help you there). For some extra fun add in some bamboo shoots and basil. You might even try some pineapple chunks, not authentic but you might like the contrast.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
You rock dear :)
Old 05-08-2008, 11:12 PM   #19
Master Chef

If I rocked I wouldn't have forgotten to mention the fish sauce, that adds to it as well.
But thanks for the cheer there dear!
Old 05-09-2008, 12:26 AM   #20
Head Chef

Buddy not knowing the difference between red, green, yello curry paste mt feeble mind set said green must mean not so hot.. Went home and made a pot of rice with green curry paste. from the first bite I was on FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.. I finaly found a source to tell me the difference yello is my standard now Here in DM we have a dozen asian stores with many mnay curries powder paste etc. lot of fun trying out the different kinds. Your right about using 1/2 of what the recipe calls for. be aware be very aware

Tags
None