If you feel daring and adventurous, here is another Peranakan meat dish:
1 kg beef, cubed (brisket or topside)
2 large onions, chopped finely
4 pieces cardamon
2 tbsps tamarind juice or lime juice
350 ml coconut milk
2 tbsps sugar
2 tbsps salt
4 tbsps vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic
2 thick slices galangal
Thumb size ginger
1 stalk lemon grass
2 tbsps turmeric powder
1 tbsps coriander powder
2 tbsps chilli powder
1. Grind Spices I into a smooth paste. Mix Spices II to form a fine mixture.
2. Heat oil in a wok till hot. Stir-fry the chopped onions, cardamon and cinnamon sticks till fragrant.
3. Add the ground Spices I and the mixed Spices II. Stir-fry thoroughly till fragrant.
4. Add the beef, tamarind juice in the spices. Stir in the coconut milk, salt and sugar and bring it to a boil.
5. Reduce heat and continue to cook till the beef is tender and the gravy mixture turns oily and fragrant. (Beef Rendang should be slightly sweet, spicy and red in colour). Serve hot with plain rice.