Beef Rendang

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally of topic. General statement, and it goes to me too, would be nice to have recipe accompanied by pictures.

It's not at all off-topic, and photographs here would be really helpful because, once it starts to get really dark, it starts to look like you've got a disaster on your hands, but don't. Here's the Saveur recipe, which is quite similar to my own. They also do a Rendang Ayam (chicken) that is excellent.

But what I was looking for was a Saveur(?) article showing the dish getting darker. I can't find it on Saveur, and Cooks' Illustrated insists I mean "reading" (don't they seem just a little ... parochial these days?).

So, folks, somewhere out there is a great illustrative essay of rendang-making, awaiting discovery.

My brain finally kicked in: The progressive images are from Marc at norecipes.com, and shows exactly what you should expect as the rendang cooks down.

His recipe looks ... gulp ... disturbingly similar to my own, suggesting an outright steal that I then conveniently forgot about: oops :) Somewhere down in the comments we have a fun conversation, riffin' on rendang. Turns out that's also when I came up with my halibut rendang recipe.

Follow Marc's advice on Kara coconut cream powder. Short of fresh, the only thing better is frozen coconut milk/cream, which I buy by the armload whenever I can. I find that about 10% of cans are either rancid or tasting ... waxy, whereas the powder is reliable.

No, sorry. I misunderstood.

So happens, "I Misunderstood" is the title of my favourite song from the man who has owned British folk-singing for the last fifty years, Richard Thompson:

She said: "Darling I'm in love with your mind,
The way you care for me is so kind,
I'd love to see you again, wish I had more time."
She was laughing as she brushed my cheek,
"Why don't you call me, Angel, maybe next week?
Promise now, cross your heart, hope to die."

But I misunderstood,
But I misunderstood,
But I misunderstood,
I thought she was saying good luck; she was saying goodbye.

Richard Thompson - I Misunderstood

Could we please get back on topic now?

Back
Top Bottom