"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-16-2011, 11:55 PM   #91
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
I love Miso soup and bok choy, but have never made either. Apples are also terrific! I cannot wait to hear how they turn out for you! Greek yogurt is making a great dessert option for me. I also like the sugar-free chocolate pudding as a change as well.

It's really fun to think about putting lunch together. I'm so glad that you suggested this.
When you decide to try some Bok Choy, spend a bit more and get the Baby ones. The big ones are fairly bitter. Baby Bok Choy is $3.49 a pound, and I got enough for three servings for $1.47.

I just subscribed to the e-mail for Just Bento. She has directions for "Instant" Miso Soup on the blog. Not as much salt as the packets of Instant miso soup in the store.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 AM   #92
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
Does this mean you two are bento buddies?

But of course. I could purchase you your very own Bento Box and you could be our buddy too. You know...hang out with the cool kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
When you decide to try some Bok Choy, spend a bit more and get the Baby ones. The big ones are fairly bitter. Baby Bok Choy is $3.49 a pound, and I got enough for three servings for $1.47.

I just subscribed to the e-mail for Just Bento. She has directions for "Instant" Miso Soup on the blog. Not as much salt as the packets of Instant miso soup in the store.
I will have to seek them out this weekend. This week has been filled with challenges...including preparing tomorrow's Bento box around someone who was cleaning out a much-needed-to-be-cleaned cabinet.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:47 AM   #93
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
But of course. I could purchase you your very own Bento Box and you could be our buddy too. You know...hang out with the cool kids.

I will have to seek them out this weekend. This week has been filled with challenges...including preparing tomorrow's Bento box around someone who was cleaning out a much-needed-to-be-cleaned cabinet.
Frank keeps peeking, he wants to hang out with the girls!

I wasn't paying attention to the time, so my miso soup will be turkey, tomato, nori and rice. Tomporrow night I will play with sauteeing. I've been up too long today and shouoldn't be playing with knives! Or hot pans.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #94
Certified Cake Maniac

Okay, I just really looked at this thread for the first time tonight. I am hooked and want the same one as you, Fiona!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:05 AM   #95
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Okay, I just really looked at this thread for the first time tonight. I am hooked and want the same one as you, Fiona!
My meal today was meat-free...if you count egg as vegetarian. I actually used Egg Beaters, so the only fat in my meal today was the 2 tsp of grapeseed oil I used for the eggs and the spinach. I also did not add any salt to anything.

We are happy to have more bento fans!
Old 02-17-2011, 03:37 AM   #96
Assistant Cook

Ok, all my stuff has arrived. Time to play!
I have cooked and frozen lots of rice already. Do you ladies cook and freeze portions of your other dishes too? I would love to cook everything from fresh but there isn't always time.
Also I need to keep my meals very low carb. I have made my rice portions about 3/4 of the size of a "normal" portion. I'm guessing that is the main source of carb usually found in the box?
I am just loving all this.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 AM   #97
Cook

I was able to find the Just Bento Cookbook at the local library so I'm going to pick it up from reserve on the weekend to have a read through ^_^ Surprisingly the library has quite an abundance of bento related books so I'll be running them through my reading list very soon.

Thanks to this thread I've also been searching out some new bento recipes from a Japanese cooking site (much in the vein of Recipezaar/Food.com). My Japanese is utterly appalling, but I'm fairly fluent in Google Engrish so... at least translating the 'translated' recipes is just as entertaining as finding new recipes to try (ah Google Translate. The never-ending source of amusement for bizarre, unrelated statements ).
Old 02-17-2011, 08:55 AM   #98
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Frank keeps peeking, he wants to hang out with the girls!
I just need to be sure you two aren't being trouble...
Old 02-17-2011, 10:47 AM   #99
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
I just need to be sure you two aren't being trouble...
An empty bento box makes a satisfying BONK! when used to rap an insolent boy upside the head.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #100
Head Chef

Quote:
Here is what I cobbled together for tomorrow. I started to make Sesame Noodles but had no sesame oil. Instead, I used chili oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and scallions.
That looks amazing, Kathleen!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker