"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #181
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by velochic View Post
This has been an interesting thread. I've been making bento school lunches for 4 years now for dd. I love all of the discussion and enthusiasm, as I sometimes get into ruts. We have bento containers, planetbox, and tiffin containers and I like to make lunch interesting. I have a lot of pictures, but I don't know how to post them. Some of the dishes are prettier than others, but especially when the primary teeth are falling out, the small bites are appreciated. We love bento-style lunches here!
I think the easiest way to post pictures is to click the little paper clip icon (attachments). A dialogue box will open up where you can attach your pix. It's a good idea to know where on your computer the pix are stored and what they are called, before you try to attach them.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #182
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

New ingredient use:

Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #183
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I think the easiest way to post pictures is to click the little paper clip icon (attachments). A dialogue box will open up where you can attach your pix. It's a good idea to know where on your computer the pix are stored and what they are called, before you try to attach them.
Hey! That's slick, I didn't know I could do that! Cool, I deleted a bunch out of my albums last night because they got too full!

That's a lot easier than the way I've been doing it! Thanks, TL! XOXOXO
Old 03-03-2011, 08:23 PM   #184
Cupcake

@velochic, please post pictures!!!!!

@ PF, unicorn meat! I almost bought that, but kept picturing little niece tears.

I have no idea what I am making tomorrow. *ponders*
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #185
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
@velochic, please post pictures!!!!!

@ PF, unicorn meat! I almost bought that, but kept picturing little niece tears.

I have no idea what I am making tomorrow. *ponders*
I got the t-shirt, too! I used to tell the nephew I was raising cats for Kitten Teriyaki...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:06 PM   #186
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I Keep Forgetting

This is the perfect time of year for looking for Rice Ball (Onigiri) shapers. The stores are full of plastic Easter eggs, I found two sizes when I went looking. And they are cheap...got a dozen for 88 cents!
Old 03-04-2011, 10:11 PM   #187
Head Chef

bento o'noodles

Some Mr. Bento pics of my udon noodles in soup.

Most of it is straight out of the frig. Udon noodles are best packed at room temperature; you definitely do not want to pack it hot or you'll get a gooey softball sized glob come lunch. Coat and mix it with a couple drops of oil to keep the noodles separated (I use chili oil). It's topped with couple slices of grilled pork shoulder, green onion and ginger strips pickled in a salt brine (traditionally dyed red). The broth is homemade - half pork from the shoulder bones and half katsuo-dashi.

I often have blanched carrots and green beans in the frig. They were quickly sauted in butter-garlic with matchsticks of abalone mushroom and finished with a steam of white wine. The stuff in the little container is spicy kimchee. My top stack is usually my snack bin. Clementines, because I'd heard through the grapevine that their season is coming to a close, and cashews.

It's a bit lukewarm, so if I can, I nuke the noodles and soup for about 15 seconds before dumping the soup on top of the noodles to eat. Oh, and, best to use a thick noodle like udon. It sure beats Cup-o-Noodles.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:37 PM   #188
Head Chef

hmmm... maybe I'll design a label to stick on my salt-shaker "Ground Unicorn Horn"... no, I would probably overdose on sodium.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:49 AM   #189
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Some Mr. Bento pics of my udon noodles in soup.

Most of it is straight out of the frig. Udon noodles are best packed at room temperature; you definitely do not want to pack it hot or you'll get a gooey softball sized glob come lunch. Coat and mix it with a couple drops of oil to keep the noodles separated (I use chili oil). It's topped with couple slices of grilled pork shoulder, green onion and ginger strips pickled in a salt brine (traditionally dyed red). The broth is homemade - half pork from the shoulder bones and half katsuo-dashi.

I often have blanched carrots and green beans in the frig. They were quickly sauted in butter-garlic with matchsticks of abalone mushroom and finished with a steam of white wine. The stuff in the little container is spicy kimchee. My top stack is usually my snack bin. Clementines, because I'd heard through the grapevine that their season is coming to a close, and cashews.

It's a bit lukewarm, so if I can, I nuke the noodles and soup for about 15 seconds before dumping the soup on top of the noodles to eat. Oh, and, best to use a thick noodle like udon. It sure beats Cup-o-Noodles.

Beautiful udon soup! I love a good udon. I'm writing down your suggestions.

I drained the juice from two cans of diced tomatoes last night and reserved it to heat and pour over my rice, mushroom and red pepper balls for lunch today...it was really good!
Old 03-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #190
Senior Cook

In a pinch one night I tossed together some Miso soup with carrot, boiled gyoza and fresh ramen noodles.. GF loved it.

-Damien

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker