"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-07-2011, 06:03 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I am also a bento fan and last year got some of these as gifts for friends - you can nuke em and do clean up in the dishwasher. Amazon.com: Kotobuki 2-Tiered Bento Box, Silver Calligraphy (Bishamonten): Home & Garden

They are high quality and very cool :)

I initially ordered some others but returned them as I found they were too small. This model is just perfect.

Old 02-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I am sure after I get this bento box, I will likely buy more boxes from Japan or Amazon...where ever I find ones I like. I am hopeless when it comes to collecting neat things. Bento includes boxes, ingredients, equipment, books and recipes...I'm in heaven.

I managed my store crawl and have made room for everything so I can get started. Tonight is teriyaki chicken and udon noodles, steamed veggies. I'll be setting up a spicy miso soup ball, noodles, chicken and veggies in my Mr. Bento with mandarin oranges as dessert. All I will need is hot water for the soup.

Waiting for the onigiri when I get my rice cooker.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:00 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm going to be buying some umeboshi today, I was hesitant when I was gathering my Sushi supplies, but now that I know how to use it, it will make it's way into my stash.
Umeboshi is way too sour and salty for most palates. It'll make your saliva glands weep. A very common way to tame it is: take the pit out of one, take a good handful of dried bonito flakes, and chop 'em up together to make a paste, adding more bonito flakes to taste.

This paste is also a common center ingredient for onigiri rice balls.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am sure after I get this bento box, I will likely buy more boxes from Japan or Amazon...where ever I find ones I like. I am hopeless when it comes to collecting neat things. Bento includes boxes, ingredients, equipment, books and recipes...I'm in heaven.

I managed my store crawl and have made room for everything so I can get started. Tonight is teriyaki chicken and udon noodles, steamed veggies. I'll be setting up a spicy miso soup ball, noodles, chicken and veggies in my Mr. Bento with mandarin oranges as dessert. All I will need is hot water for the soup.

Waiting for the onigiri when I get my rice cooker.
We need a group! Oh...wow...we have a group! I went crazy at this site to get a few items to better play with my food that I will put in my Bento box. Don't go there, PF. It's more alluring than the (20) Dollar Store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Umeboshi is way too sour and salty for most palates. It'll make your saliva glands weep. A very common way to tame it is: take the pit out of one, take a good handful of dried bonito flakes, and chop 'em up together to make a paste, adding more bonito flakes to taste.

This paste is also a common center ingredient for onigiri rice balls.
As the resident Bento newbie, you two need to translate for me. Onigiri? What is it?

~Kathleen - who now has rice molds ordered.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
As the resident Bento newbie, you two need to translate for me. Onigiri? What is it?

Kathleen, Onigiri are rice balls/triangles which are hand molded or done in plastic molds, usually with Umeboshi (pickled type of plum/apricot) in the middle, or whichever filling the person desires (chicken, tuna, vegetables, salmon, etc). Here - when all else fails, Wiki it
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #16
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
Kathleen, Onigiri are rice balls/triangles which are hand molded or done in plastic molds, usually with Umeboshi (pickled type of plum/apricot) in the middle, or whichever filling the person desires (chicken, tuna, vegetables, salmon, etc). Here - when all else fails, Wiki it

LOL....I am almost embarrassed. At least you did not do this! Thanks!!!!
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 AM   #17
Cook

Quote:
That's utterly brilliant. I think I'll need to use that quite regularly for one of my beloved and lazy brothers. Constantly asking me things and all I can reply with is "...you're talking to me online, why don't you just Googlize it?!"

Either way, you're welcome ^_^
Old 02-09-2011, 02:07 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
We need a group! Oh...wow...we have a group! I went crazy at this site to get a few items to better play with my food that I will put in my Bento box. Don't go there, PF. It's more alluring than the (20) Dollar Store.

My rice cooker showed up! I had to go see the site...will be ordering some rice molds for onigiri. I haven't braved the ume, yet. I have the day off tomorrow, after rehab, will be playing then.

Got some miso paste today so I can work on making "instant" miso soup balls.

And a Hello Kitty water bottle to take to rehab!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:50 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I have bookmarked that site. That's hilarious.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
That's utterly brilliant. I think I'll need to use that quite regularly for one of my beloved and lazy brothers. Constantly asking me things and all I can reply with is "...you're talking to me online, why don't you just Googlize it?!"

Either way, you're welcome ^_^
My sister is the opposite. We will both be on the phone and she won't tell me URL of the page she is looking at; she'll tell me what to Google. Then she is amazed when my search results aren't in the same order. o_0

When I eventually find her search result, she will tell me how to navigate the site to the page which she wants me to look at.

I noticed that Kathleen used a "tiny URL". That gives me an idea. I will send her the URL for the "Shorten with bit.ly" add-on for FireFox and then she can just click a button and have short URL to tell me. Might work.

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker