"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-05-2011, 06:06 PM   #241
Senior Cook

Spork, That's correct, I used gyoza filling. Due to the large amount of fat in the sausage though, I may reconsider next time for something like Char-Siu filling or chicken and leek blend. The pork did cook through completely when I steamed it for 14 minutes, but as I hadn't let it rise after stuffing, they were quite flat and not very fluffy..

As for sweet red bean paste, I no longer have a taste for it. One night running around drinking chu-hi's around yokosuka, I picked up a bag of around 5 or 6 yeast buns filled with what looked like a red jelly donut-like filling (on the picture on the front of the packaging).. Imagine my surprise biting into a yeast bun and finding a sweet red paste instead of a jelly donut-jelly.. Well.. being the broke sailor I was, I wasn't about to let that go to waste.. Now I cannot stand the taste of Azuki bean paste...

-Damien

Old 04-05-2011, 07:09 PM   #242
Head Chef

Me neither, Damien! That tiny can of Azuki has been in my cupboard for at least two years. It's an eyesore. I need to use it, or toss it, cuz I can't wait until Chik-Fil-A has its annual Thanksgiving drive - bring a can of food for a free sandwich.

Actually, you've given me an idea...
What about spicy Mexican re-fried beans instead?

Old 04-05-2011, 07:24 PM   #243
Senior Cook

MMmmm.. Chick-Fil-A..

Taco buns maybe? Some refried beans, (Pre cooked and seasoned) ground beef and maybe some onion and cheese? How about green chile chicken enchilada buns.. (Green chile, ground (or shredded) chicken and cheese.. Go easy though.. the buns I made only held around 2 tablespoons of filling..

-Damien
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #244
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Me neither, Damien! That tiny can of Azuki has been in my cupboard for at least two years. It's an eyesore. I need to use it, or toss it, cuz I can't wait until Chik-Fil-A has its annual Thanksgiving drive - bring a can of food for a free sandwich.

Actually, you've given me an idea...
What about spicy Mexican re-fried beans instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
MMmmm.. Chick-Fil-A..

Taco buns maybe? Some refried beans, (Pre cooked and seasoned) ground beef and maybe some onion and cheese? How about green chile chicken enchilada buns.. (Green chile, ground (or shredded) chicken and cheese.. Go easy though.. the buns I made only held around 2 tablespoons of filling..

-Damien

That sounds wonderful! Mexican Buns. I could go nuts with those variations.

So...forego trying to nab some red bean paste? I'm already not crazy about a sweet bean flavor...but I would not be completely averse to trying it. Maybe I should just ask for it next time I go out to dinner at Hu Hots.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:42 AM   #245
Head Chef

The sweet red bean paste is very common in a variety of confections. They're nutritious and healthy. Simply cooked in sugar until it becomes a syrup and the beans are al dente or just softened enough to start breaking apart. Kids'll eat it by the spoonful. Adults might warm up a bowlful to eat with a spoon. In addition to bao, it might be the center filling of a soft and chewy mochi ball made of fine rice flour. Or, it might be sandwiched between two small disks of basically pancakes of various shapes and textures, sometimes made fresh and hot by a street cart or carnival stall. Sometimes, it's thinned with wine into a hot or cold desert soup.

If your restaurant lists it in their dessert section, I'd give it a try, PF.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #246
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The sweet red bean paste is very common in a variety of confections. They're nutritious and healthy. Simply cooked in sugar until it becomes a syrup and the beans are al dente or just softened enough to start breaking apart. Kids'll eat it by the spoonful. Adults might warm up a bowlful to eat with a spoon. In addition to bao, it might be the center filling of a soft and chewy mochi ball made of fine rice flour. Or, it might be sandwiched between two small disks of basically pancakes of various shapes and textures, sometimes made fresh and hot by a street cart or carnival stall. Sometimes, it's thinned with wine into a hot or cold desert soup.

If your restaurant lists it in their dessert section, I'd give it a try, PF.
Domo arigato Spork-san.

Maybe if I learn to ask politely they will make it special for me. I'm working on getting a basic vocabulary right now. But, I still have to look words up to complete a sentence.
Old 04-06-2011, 01:46 PM   #247
Senior Cook

What specifically would you like to say?

-Damien
Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM   #248
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
What specifically would you like to say?

-Damien
Complete conversation. I'm learning and it's fun!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #249
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Complete conversation. I'm learning and it's fun!
Oreno nihongoha ippai wasureta.. :( (I've forgotten a lot of my Japanese)

Nihongo no benkyoha Tanoshii deshita.. Samishii desu (learning Japanese was fun.. I miss it)

Ganbarre Fifi-chan! (Good luck Fifi-chan!)

-Damien
Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 PM   #250
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Oreno nihongoha ippai wasureta.. :( (I've forgotten a lot of my Japanese)

Nihongo no benkyoha Tanoshii deshita.. Samishii desu (learning Japanese was fun.. I miss it)

Ganbarre Fifi-chan! (Good luck Fifi-chan!)

-Damien
Wow, I'm learning, I actually understood some of the words. Give me until the weekend, I'm off to bed since I have Rehab in the morning and work. No time to play tonight!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker