"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 04-17-2011, 04:12 PM   #261
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
My dumplings box lunch.

1. osuimono soup, with tofu, wakame and funn
2. rice with grain mix and dollop of katsuo/umeboshi
3. potsticker gyoza and traditional spinach ohitashi
4. tangerines and chili bits arare

Osuimono, likely on a restaurant menu, is a clear dashi soup, with just a splash of light soy sauce and mirin, maybe a tiny curl of lemon peel. Ohitashi, also on the menu as a salad, is a simple tsukemono of steamed spinach rolled into a log and squeezed of liquid. I cut into servings and freeze. Sprinkle with katsuo dried bonito flakes and soy sauce. Dipping sauce for the gyoza is in a little disposable squeeze bottle, made for bento lunch boxes.

That looks fantastic!

Would I use umeboshi paste the same way as a plum? The store that carried the plums changed to paste.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #262
Head Chef

Spork - I love your itty bitty soy sauce bottle.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #263
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Spork - I love your itty bitty soy sauce bottle.
They come in bags of 12, I think they are expected to be disposable, but they are easy to clean. I love the little pigs.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #264
Head Chef

Yup, the bottle is shaped like a pig. I magic-marked their caps with two snorting nostrils. And yes, I too reuse them, washing them by sucking and squirting soapy water several times. Another common shape is a fish.

My umeboshi paste, same as something in a tube, is just a plum with its seed removed. I chop it up together with a handful of katsuo flakes to a paste consistency. It's the most common, and my favorite, onigiri rice ball filling.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM   #265
Senior Cook

Spork, that last bento looks great and reminded me I have many gyoza still in my freezer.. Sounds like lunch, baby! Also, I think PF has a new nickname.. Speaking of which, feeling any better, fifi-chan?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:51 PM   #266
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
No kidding! I bought some to work with, opened it and was quite struck by the powerful smell. By 4 in the morning , the smell was so overpowering it woke me up, I went out in the kitchen and put it outside the back door. I threw away the whole bottle. The flavor was really good, but I could not handle that smell.
What brand did you have, fifichan? The fish sauce I have doesn't hardly smell and I've got both a sensitive nose and my girlfriend who has a sensitive taste.. Neither of us have found the sauce I use offensive.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:36 PM   #267
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Yup, the bottle is shaped like a pig. I magic-marked their caps with two snorting nostrils. And yes, I too reuse them, washing them by sucking and squirting soapy water several times. Another common shape is a fish.

My umeboshi paste, same as something in a tube, is just a plum with its seed removed. I chop it up together with a handful of katsuo flakes to a paste consistency. It's the most common, and my favorite, onigiri rice ball filling.
Thanks, Spork...then I will get it! I just wasn't sure, had decided to buy the plums and then they switched on me.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #268
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Spork, that last bento looks great and reminded me I have many gyoza still in my freezer.. Sounds like lunch, baby! Also, I think PF has a new nickname.. Speaking of which, feeling any better, fifi-chan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
What brand did you have, fifichan? The fish sauce I have doesn't hardly smell and I've got both a sensitive nose and my girlfriend who has a sensitive taste.. Neither of us have found the sauce I use offensive.
I'm feeling much better, after a switch in blood pressure medications, thank you for asking.

It was a brand from Asia, I can't remember which. I'm just glad it was inexpensive. I could handle the flavor, but not the smell. What brand do you buy?
Old 04-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #269
Senior Cook

Phu Quoc Flying lion brand fish sauce. It's a vietnamese sauce.

Here is a link to a picture of it.
"Flying Lion" Vietnamese-Style Fish Sauce: Amazon.com: Grocery & Gourmet Food

-Damien
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM   #270
Head Chef

Compared to most normal people, I'm fishy.
That is, I've yet to meet a fish I didn't like to catch or eat.

Though I like fish sauce, even I won't put up with it in my kitchen. My last 3oz bottle was a Japanese brand. About six drops(!) of the liquid in a wok stunk the house for two days despite opening all the windows. I had to toss it, too, like a cheap spray of Au de Phu Quoc.

I will look for Flying Lion on the next visit to one of my local Asian markets, and give it another chance, but I'm skeptical...

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker