Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Check the craft store for paper punches. There will be some smileys. Use it on nori paper to decorate or write messages in the bento box. If you see a kid eat a rice ball first by plucking out its smiley eyeballs, call the Principal. Hopefully, it'll just be a note of concern.

Check the craft store for paper punches. There will be some smileys. Use it on nori paper to decorate or write messages in the bento box. If you see a kid eat a rice ball first by plucking out its smiley eyeballs, call the Principal. Hopefully, it'll just be a note of concern.

Good idea...I wonder if they have any anime paper punches.:LOL:

The science is still out, I think it's probably bunk, but seaweed is said to contain a pigment that burns fat the way bears do while hibernating.

It looks like I will be increasing my seaweed intake...just to see, of course!:)

I really do love the nori, we will find out this weekend about the Kombu. I'm going to make some Dashi.

I can handle nori when I'm in the mood for sushi maki and the like, but can't stand wakame (I always have my miso without wakame pieces). Unfortunately I don't live in the best area for Asian foodstores outside of Indian grocery stores, so Kombu and bonito flakes are out - I usually make my dashi with shiitake mushrooms and some other things. Works quite well!

I can handle nori when I'm in the mood for sushi maki and the like, but can't stand wakame (I always have my miso without wakame pieces). Unfortunately I don't live in the best area for Asian foodstores outside of Indian grocery stores, so Kombu and bonito flakes are out - I usually make my dashi with shiitake mushrooms and some other things. Works quite well!

I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.

I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I misread shitake.:LOL:

Had to do it! He made fun of Hello Kitty. :glare:

He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

28716-albums287-picture2526.jpg

I am all set for my Nutrition Class on Monday, Hello Kitty socks, water bottle, notebook and pen. I should have gotten the little Bento box and made myself a snack to take with me, I'll be there from 9 am-1 pm, maybe later....there is a Mended Hearts meeting, also...and they are making Valentines for the patients on the cardio floor!

I might make sweet omelette with strawberry, or a regular omelet with some anchovie and wasabi, rolled and cut like sushi.

Tomorrow morning is the Heart Expo, I'll be attending that, there are several lectures I want to hear.

I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.

I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.

Sounds good, I am sure I will end up with alot more bite size meals than I do with traditional bento meals. But I am going to try! I plan a steamed asparagus sushi for this weekend, using salad greens as a wrap.

Good ideas, Selkie.

PF, I was miffy at lunch today. Not being in the office meant that I was gifted with marginal sandwiches and chips. :ermm:

The small dessert bites were Bento-worthy. Tiny and satisfying. Asparagus sushi wraps sound great!

For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!

He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

28716-albums287-picture2526.jpg

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever :heart: Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop :LOL:

For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever :heart: Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop :LOL:

LOL! Spokane is at least 3.5 hours away and Seattle is about 12...Denver is 18 hours, if you don't stop for food or rest stops.:LOL:

I managed to get the last package of Bonito at The Good Food Store. So, I'll have some Dashi, no problem. Actually, I think I have everything except my real Bento box. Even my Bento cookbook showed up tonight.:chef:

Kuromi is so Kawaii!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom