"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-18-2011, 11:59 PM   #341
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I think I will do up some udon, salmon, nori, green onion into a cold salad. Cup of Miso...okay, lunch is planned!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #342
Chief Eating Officer

Yesterday, before I ever looked at this thread, I ordered a Mr. Bento. I just figured it would make a great lunch box. I then opened this thread and started reading. Now I am hooked on the idea of bento lunches.

I loved the idea so much that I fired up my rice cooker last night at 10pm so that I could start experimenting with onigiri. I was munching on rice triangles last night at 11. One had some pickled peppers in it. Another had an olive in it. The last two had both sides smeared with miso and lightly toasted in a cast iron pan. This is going to be a lot of fun.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #343
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Yesterday, before I ever looked at this thread, I ordered a Mr. Bento. I just figured it would make a great lunch box. I then opened this thread and started reading. Now I am hooked on the idea of bento lunches.

I loved the idea so much that I fired up my rice cooker last night at 10pm so that I could start experimenting with onigiri. I was munching on rice triangles last night at 11. One had some pickled peppers in it. Another had an olive in it. The last two had both sides smeared with miso and lightly toasted in a cast iron pan. This is going to be a lot of fun.
Another Convert...
Old 08-19-2011, 06:47 PM   #344
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

There's still time.. come back from the dark side... come back...
Old 08-19-2011, 07:24 PM   #345
Chief Eating Officer

Too late Frank. I hit the Asian market today and stocked up on goodies.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #346
Head Chef

Looking forward to learning some new Mr. Bento tricks, GeeBee!

For everyone's entertainment, the story of my first Mr. Bento...

My parents asked a family friend to hire my brother and I for the summer. It was illegal, I was underage according to labor laws. It was a moving company, almost exclusively contracted to ship boxes of military personnel's belongings overseas. Our job was to locate all the scattered boxes belonging to a single name within a gigantic warehouse, carry them to a loading dock, palletize them, and ask for a new name, to repeat. There's a simple trick for two people to carrying a two hundred pound box. My mother prepared our lunches, piping hot, each morning into Mr. Bento boxes, which my brother and I ate outside sitting on boxed wooden crates.

We had just finished our lunch, and I was re-assembling my empty Mr. Bento. I heard the incessant beeping, but it was a constant noise... and then I felt heat against the back of my legs... a forklift ran over me, and then smashed into the wooden crate I had been sitting on.

Broke my left leg just above the ankle. Turns out the driver did not have a forklift operator's license. He came by our house the next week to apologize, bringing me two gifts: a new Mr. Bento (he ran over it, too) and two parakeets (to keep "the cripple" company).

Could've been worse. I spent the summer practicing my guitar chops.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:30 PM   #347
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
There's still time.. come back from the dark side... come back...

I'm going to go look for a Hello Kitty Bento box for Frank...or Hello Kitty shaped nori.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM   #348
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
LP, yay! The boxes are fun to assemble, aren't they? Damien, good to see you back from a crazy summer. That Los Alamos fire gave everyone a scare. Kath, I still can't believe that a fireman would come to your house and condemn your stove. I hope you're back up and running soon. Fi, yasuku=cheaply? Here's a pic of one of my favorite summertime bento -- cold buckwheat noodles.

1. tsuyu dipping sauce, chilled
2. cold zaru soba, buckwheat noodles, shredded nori
3. shrimp and vegggie tempura, condiments for tsuyu
4. senbei, rice crackers
5. mugi cha, iced roasted barley tea
I know! They red-tagged it like a "cone of shame" for stoves. I used the red tag to rest my peach jam on when it came out of the canner tonight.

Can you share the recipe for the buckwheat noodles?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I'm going to go look for a Hello Kitty Bento box for Frank...or Hello Kitty shaped nori.
You are a brave woman. You know I would make him a rice ball with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

Broke my left leg just above the ankle. Turns out the driver did not have a forklift operator's license. He came by our house the next week to apologize, bringing me two gifts: a new Mr. Bento (he ran over it, too) and two parakeets (to keep "the cripple" company).

Could've been worse. I spent the summer practicing my guitar chops.
I'm almost afraid to ask....so...are those REALLY quail eggs I see?
Old 08-21-2011, 11:26 PM   #349
Head Chef

No recipe. If your local market has an Asian section, I'm willing to bet you'd find a sleeve of dried buckwheat noodles. It probably won't be 100% buckwheat which is hard to find and expensive. Buckwheat + wheat flour + coloring. Still tasty, and the gluten in wheat helps the noodles keep their shape. Boil per instructions. Be watchful, it will froth and boil over. Drain and shock with running water and ice cubes. Serve a mound of it topped with shredded nori. For bento, I toss it with a splash of canola oil to prevent it from sticking together into a tangled ball.

The dipping sauce for zaru soba is just a bit darker than what you'd get for tempura at a restaurant. Basic tsuyu is about 1 cup dashi, 2 Tbsp soy sauce, and 2 Tbsp mirin. Once it comes to a boil, an optional extra 1/3 cup of dried bonito flakes is added to steep and rest. Filter and refrigerate. Tsuyu is used to flavor stocks. It's also diluted with water for specific dishes, such as tempura dipping sauce. For zaru soba, I highly recommend the condiments I mentioned. Served cold, it's a hearty yet very refreshing dish for summers.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #350
Senior Cook

Thanks for the welcome back, everyone.. Fifichan, I'm sorry, All I understood was "please.." Gomen.. If you need more, I'm sure a shipment can be arranged..

Spork.. I haven't had Zaru Soba in a long while.. I have all the stuff needed.. I may end up making it today for lunch.. Yours looks great!

Stopped in the asian market today in the search for some peeled and deveined raw shrimp to make smoked shrimp.. Ended up walking out of there with 80+ dollars worth of stuff.. a Case of Aloe juice, Gyoza skins (Guess who's making Gyoza soon..) shrimp, a new Thai quick and easy cookbook, some fresh veggies for the gyoza and a few other small odds and ends.. This cooking thing is going to be the end of my bank account..

Hope you are all well..

-Damien

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker