"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-18-2011, 10:24 PM   #381
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I enjoy going fishing, I don't like to fish.
But fish are soooo good.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:34 PM   #382
Head Chef

Oops. I found this in my cupboard. It had an expiration date of 9/22.

According to its ingredients list, the stuff in its vinegar pack includes carrots, lotus root, bamboo shoot, and rehydrated shavings of a gourd called kanpyou. I added: julienne of egg and cucumber, extra shiitake mushrooms reconstituted in soy+mirin, some chopped shrimp, and extra nori seaweed and toasted white sesame seeds.

My bento box
1. chirashi zushi, bottle of soy sauce
2. kombu dashi, with wakame and green onion
3. tofu topped with kimchee & korean kalbe pork
4. senbei rice crackers
5. hot green tea

My preference for sushi rice is freezing it, thawing slowly or at low microwave power. Chirashi, trash, is great for bento lunches. I can eat a gallon of it. The round of tofu was pan-fried with a thin coat of kinako, or soy bean flour. The chopped kimchee is tossed with sesame oil. Korean kalbe is usually for beef short ribs, but I really like it for lean sections of pork shoulder. What can I say, I love my senbei crackers.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #383
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
But fish are soooo good.
Oh, I cook them and eat them...but actual fishing...rather read. The last time I went fishing, I got a worm on a hook stuck in my face...I was 11. That ended that!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:14 AM   #384
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Ayame, Himemasu or Masu.. Though it appears that trout are classified as a type of salmon in the words Himemasu and Masu.

-Damien
I did find Salmon, I guess I could have gotten away with that. Thanks, Damien and that's a great looking fish!

arigato, my nihongo is going slowly. I have to keep looking everything up.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:18 AM   #385
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Oops. I found this in my cupboard. It had an expiration date of 9/22.

According to its ingredients list, the stuff in its vinegar pack includes carrots, lotus root, bamboo shoot, and rehydrated shavings of a gourd called kanpyou. I added: julienne of egg and cucumber, extra shiitake mushrooms reconstituted in soy+mirin, some chopped shrimp, and extra nori seaweed and toasted white sesame seeds.

My bento box
1. chirashi zushi, bottle of soy sauce
2. kombu dashi, with wakame and green onion
3. tofu topped with kimchee & korean kalbe pork
4. senbei rice crackers
5. hot green tea

My preference for sushi rice is freezing it, thawing slowly or at low microwave power. Chirashi, trash, is great for bento lunches. I can eat a gallon of it. The round of tofu was pan-fried with a thin coat of kinako, or soy bean flour. The chopped kimchee is tossed with sesame oil. Korean kalbe is usually for beef short ribs, but I really like it for lean sections of pork shoulder. What can I say, I love my senbei crackers.
I love your Bento lists, I can follow them like recipes. That one looks really good.

I was gifted some mung bean noodles...I was thinking some chicken with a mandarin orange sauce and diced steamed veggies.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #386
Senior Cook

Quote:
arigato, my nihongo is going slowly. I have to keep looking everything up.
You're not the only one..

-Damien
Old 10-19-2011, 06:06 PM   #387
Chef Extraordinaire

Wink

Quote:
I love your Bento lists, I can follow them like recipes. That one looks really good.

I was gifted some mung bean noodles...I was thinking some chicken with a mandarin orange sauce and diced steamed veggies.
Darn--PF, wish you'd posted this while I was still in MN--I could've sent you some of the surplus cans of mandarin oranges my father collects...and, I've held off chicken wrangling today thinking you might show up to help.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #388
Head Chef

Quote:
Oh, I cook them and eat them...but actual fishing...rather read. The last time I went fishing, I got a worm on a hook stuck in my face...I was 11. That ended that!
I like being focused and ultra-aggressive with my fishing, but I've also been known to relax in a mid-to-late-summer chair, soak some sun without a shirt, soak a corn kernel on a tiny hook, to read a Sunday paper and sci-fi paperback. The resulting epic fight with a 20-pound carp on 4-pound fishing line stops joggers at the park. I have no idea what to do with such a fish, so I land it and let it go. Re-bait and read.

If I had your same 11-year-old experience, I'd not doubt swear off the sport. Yikes, you musta been freaking! I bet your Dad still feels guilty about it.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 AM   #389
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Darn--PF, wish you'd posted this while I was still in MN--I could've sent you some of the surplus cans of mandarin oranges my father collects...and, I've held off chicken wrangling today thinking you might show up to help.
I have two boxes of canned mandarins, i get them at Costco and since both of us eat them a can at a time... As for chicken wrangling, I would have had to walk, Shrek had the car today so he could go pretend to be in a band.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I like being focused and ultra-aggressive with my fishing, but I've also been known to relax in a mid-to-late-summer chair, soak some sun without a shirt, soak a corn kernel on a tiny hook, to read a Sunday paper and sci-fi paperback. The resulting epic fight with a 20-pound carp on 4-pound fishing line stops joggers at the park. I have no idea what to do with such a fish, so I land it and let it go. Re-bait and read.

If I had your same 11-year-old experience, I'd not doubt swear off the sport. Yikes, you musta been freaking! I bet your Dad still feels guilty about it.
The reading part sounds perfect. My Dad had decided that trip that he would no longer bait our hooks, so he handed me the worm to skewer and then I went to cast and the wind caught it. So I was already squeemed to handle and hook the worm... I can still see it squirming there on my face...that was 40 years ago.

If I fished without my shirt, I'd be arrested.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #390
Chef Extraordinaire

Ha-PF--you must be the baby that got swapped for one of my brothers--no one could buy mandarin oranges in that quanity without a genetic link to my father!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker