"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #391
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Ha-PF--you must be the baby that got swapped for one of my brothers--no one could buy mandarin oranges in that quanity without a genetic link to my father!
I was thinking a genetic link to MY father...he used to hoard canned Kadota Figs. He also had me buy 25 pounds of buckwheat flour, he stored it in the freezer. He uses it to make soba noodles about once a month, if he remembers he put it in the freezer.

Old 10-23-2011, 03:43 PM   #392
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Multiple decals are a great idea! Spork, to get you started, I saw this picture!

The ice cream cone would be my addition to the Rolling Stones decal!

I couldn't find a Rolling Stones logo sticker, so I decided to play around with the album title of another ancient rock band that I like.

Old 10-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #393
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Oh, I cook them and eat them...but actual fishing...rather read. The last time I went fishing, I got a worm on a hook stuck in my face...I was 11. That ended that!
OMG, that would do me in. Actually, hooking up the worm. Ew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
I like being focused and ultra-aggressive with my fishing, but I've also been known to relax in a mid-to-late-summer chair, soak some sun without a shirt, soak a corn kernel on a tiny hook, to read a Sunday paper and sci-fi paperback. The resulting epic fight with a 20-pound carp on 4-pound fishing line stops joggers at the park. I have no idea what to do with such a fish, so I land it and let it go. Re-bait and read.

If I had your same 11-year-old experience, I'd not doubt swear off the sport. Yikes, you musta been freaking! I bet your Dad still feels guilty about it.
That is my idea of fishing!!!

Spork, how do you freeze the rice? I tried to do it, but it was so dry when I thawed and heated it. :/
Old 10-25-2011, 11:32 PM   #394
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I was thinking a genetic link to MY father...he used to hoard canned Kadota Figs. He also had me buy 25 pounds of buckwheat flour, he stored it in the freezer. He uses it to make soba noodles about once a month, if he remembers he put it in the freezer.
What-what, you're thinking I'm the baby that got swapped and we're really SEESTERS? But I'm the one that looks like my father--so much so, friends from HS thought my brothers were adopted...which wouldn't have been a bad thing, just that none of us look alike and I'm the only one that looks like either parent...was your dad a milkman?
Old 10-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #395
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
What-what, you're thinking I'm the baby that got swapped and we're really SEESTERS? But I'm the one that looks like my father--so much so, friends from HS thought my brothers were adopted...which wouldn't have been a bad thing, just that none of us look alike and I'm the only one that looks like either parent...was your dad a milkman?
As a matter of fact...
Old 10-26-2011, 07:04 PM   #396
Head Chef

Curses, the Changelings are finding each other on the internet as the hallow eve approaches!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:03 PM   #397
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
Actually, hooking up the worm. Ew. Actually, I like baiting my hook, having a squirming worm in my hand. *shrug* must be a guy thing...

Spork, how do you freeze the rice? I tried to do it, but it was so dry when I thawed and heated it. :/
KZ, I do get some help with these...

Single serve microwavable plastic ware. The container's bottom is shaped like a bundt cake mold and ensures that its content gets equal radiation. You know how, like with maybe a stew, you microwave once, then stir the contents to expose the yet frozen middle, then microwave again. This solves that problem. The lid has a tiny vent that can be closed, or opened to allow steam pressure to escape. I purchased them in Japan, but I've seen similar ones sold at local stores and online at that Marukai Store website I posted earlier under the category "kitchen utensils." I think the brand name is ASVEL.

Every little thing you can do to trap and contain moisture helps a lot. Like...
containerize when it's steaming hot,
don't compact it; give steam some air pockets,
freeze quickly without stressing the frig,
thaw at room temp, sealed, or better yet,
microwave on high while frozen, with minimum steam vent.
For frozen rice, I'd rather microwave it sealed in cellophane with some poke holes than crack open the lid of standard tupperware...

If it's dry, I just make it into fried rice.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM   #398
Head Chef

The only onigiri mold I had was the basic triangle. But they don't fit my round lunchbox well. So I bought a few new ones yesterday. Bite size.
I usually prefer a filling in the middle of my triangular nigiri, like nori or umeboshi paste, katsuo-bushi or left-over salmon. These rice balls are maybe too small to contain fillings, though. Other than a shake of different mixes of furikake, I don't really have a good repertoire of flavoring onigiri on the outside. It's fun feeling like I'm at "Page 1" on this. I'm going to try start with what GB did... no hibachi grill, so broiling... coated with miso mix, soy sauce mix, etc.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #399
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
The only onigiri mold I had was the basic triangle. But they don't fit my round lunchbox well. So I bought a few new ones yesterday. Bite size.
I usually prefer a filling in the middle of my triangular nigiri, like nori or umeboshi paste, katsuo-bushi or left-over salmon. These rice balls are maybe too small to contain fillings, though. Other than a shake of different mixes of furikake, I don't really have a good repertoire of flavoring onigiri on the outside. It's fun feeling like I'm at "Page 1" on this. I'm going to try start with what GB did... no hibachi grill, so broiling... coated with miso mix, soy sauce mix, etc.
That is a clever onigiri shaper. I need to make mine smaller, nothing like having a mouthful of rice and nori when the big boss wanders in and asks a question.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:51 PM   #400
Senior Cook

My local asian market has started to sell onigiri molds.. let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific...

-Damien

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker