"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 11-16-2011, 07:14 PM   #431
Cupcake

Thanks! Where do the rice noodles come in?

Old 11-16-2011, 09:11 PM   #432
Head Chef

That's a big question, Kathleen. Once upon a time, the FDA forbade them to be labeled either "noodle" or "pasta," requiring the term "alimentary paste" instead. Mein, mien and men is from the Chinese for "noodle," usually wheat and egg. Fun or fen, is from one the Chinese words for "rice," but is used for noodles made from other starches too. Most rice noodles will be called fun. Chow-fun, for example, is a favorite of mine -- a thick, wide rice noodle often sold refrigerated at Asian markets. Bee-fun, sai-fun, there are a lot of noodle varieties.

Old 11-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #433
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Chow-fun, for example, is a favorite of mine -- a thick, wide rice noodle
Whoa.. I thought could it be? So I looked up chow-fun on google images and YES! those are my favorite kind of noodles... I never knew what they were called until now, I always just assumed they were handmade by the restaurants since I couldn't find any info on em. now I must find some. w00t!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:53 PM   #434
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
Chow-fun, for example, is a favorite of mine -- a thick, wide rice noodle often sold refrigerated at Asian markets. Bee-fun, sai-fun, there are a lot of noodle varieties.
Rice noodles are one of my favorites also, spork. I love the "Dynasty" brand Maifun rice sticks with my stir fry combos after only hydrating it in hot water. Wonderful stuff.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:43 PM   #435
Head Chef

somen

Youíre likely to find somen noodles at your local marketís ethnic aisle. Itís almost always packaged in neat trays of them banded into serving portions. Each band, Iíd say, is a serving for two. Itís an extremely thin wheat pasta, tricky to work with. Taste is quite bland, with a hint of rice. I thought Iíd pass along some of my personal pointers...

The dry, thin strands are fragile, so handle them delicately.

Immersion in ample boiling water is 90-120 seconds with a constant stir, or theyíll stick together something fierce. Drain and shock in ice water immediately. Rinse thoroughly with running water. Relative to their size and brief cooking time, they absorb a lot of water and release a lot of starch (the drained pot of water will turn noticeably viscous). I donít salt the water.

Itís often served cold. Maybe with a cold cup of dipping broth on the side. Or, soaked in a vinegary dressing with salad toppings.

Itís good for fortifying simple hot soups. But, it will quickly lose its texture and turn mushy, so it needs to be served immediately and in small portion.

It can be added to the end of a stir-fry. But, it should be a very brief re-heating toss. The stir-fry should be saucier and more wet than usual. Otherwise, the noodles will start to release its starch again and begin to clump into a tightly knitted ball.

I like to cook my maifun exactly the same way as Timothy. And, Iíve tried simply re-hydrating somen in a bowl of very hot water. Doesnít work; it retains the nasty taste of raw flour; it has to be cooked.

Iím always ISO new recipes with somen... especially for bento lunch.
Old 11-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #436
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Nice tips on somen noodles, noted and thanks. Love noodles!
Old 11-27-2011, 10:58 PM   #437
Cupcake

I love noodles too. Has anyone ever tried making their own? I've made pasta and egg noodles, but not any kind of Asian noodle.
Old 11-27-2011, 11:01 PM   #438
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I would like to make some soba noodles, but have not found a recipe, just descriptions. I do have a pasta machine, so it would be nice!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #439
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I would like to make some soba noodles, but have not found a recipe, just descriptions. I do have a pasta machine, so it would be nice!
I've not seen a recipe, but I did see this article about making them. I'd rather have a recipe, but the pictures are almost worth giving it a try with the information alone! I did not notice before, but here is a link to the academy which has movies online to see how they are made!
Old 11-28-2011, 12:18 AM   #440
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Well I got the formula:
8 parts buckwheat flour
2 parts wheat flour
water 50% of the flour weight

Read through the method, I think I can duplicate this fairly well.

4 cups buckwheat
1 cup wheat
weigh and use half the weight for your water. Should make enough noodles for a couple meals.

Thanks Kathleen, that was a very nice website and more information than I've gotten from other sites.

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker