"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 12-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #461
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post

1. white miso soup with tofu, wakame seaweed and scallion
2. onigiri & a link of sweet Chinese sausage
3. various cold leftovers from pot of oden
4. saki-ika snack
5. hot green tea

Onigiri are individually plastic-wrapped, frozen, and zapped for 20 seconds in microwave to pack for lunch. Some are mixed with shiso furikake (dried, salted, citrusy leaves of beafsteak plant), Another furikake has dried salmon flakes, nori, sesame seed and other stuff. And my third onigiri has a topping of dried baby anchovies. Yum, I had some of them for breakfast.

Oden is a common street food in Japan, often served as skewers of stuff like winter root veggies simmering in a broth. You pay by the number of skewers left on your plate. Here's the wiki entry: Oden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia My broth was chicken/dashi about 2:1, soy sauce & sake & sugar to taste, usually stronger than a soup. I have potato, mountain yam, carrot, pork shoulder, gobo-maki (burdock root wrapped in surimi fishcake), and chrysanthemum leaves. I forgot to pack some pungent Chinese mustard to go with my oden. Saki-ika (this one spiced mildly hot) is dried strips of squid. Love 'em! They're like the beef jerky of Asia. Great snacks because chewing them is a natural hunger suppressant.
Looks so beautiful!

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #462
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savory View Post
Looks so beautiful!
Spork is a Bento Master.

Old 12-05-2011, 11:41 AM   #463
Head Chef

Thanks, all. Your kind words encourage me to keep posting the occasional pics of my lunch box. (Secretly, I have second grade fears that someone will comment on my lunches as "benjo." Please don't google for a translation. )
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #464
Certified Cake Maniac

Quote:
Thanks, all. Your kind words encourage me to keep posting the occasional pics of my lunch box. (Secretly, I have second grade fears that someone will comment on my lunches as "benjo." Please don't google for a translation. )
Spork, your lunches are a masterpiece! Works of art! You are a great inspiration.

I have to go to Vancouver for the day on Thursday and I get a lunch break. Originally I was going to meet a friend but she can't make it now. So, I have already started planning my Bento lunch. I think I will make some more of the vegetarian rice we tried last week, some veggie sushi which I will pick up on my way out of town and to drink I will take some green tea in my thermos and cranberry juice (straight, not cocktail) mixed with club soda in my thermal water bottle!

This will be the first "away from home" adventure for me and my Bento.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM   #465
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I would never call it that!

I love your Bento, they give me inspiration.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:10 PM   #466
Executive Chef

Quote:
I found something! The oldest Asian market in town is a hole-in-the-wall which I hadn't been frequenting since three competing gigantic markets were built a few years ago. I stopped by today and found these, supposedly non-stick polypropylene, safe to a hundred degrees Celsius. I was surprised that the store appears to still be doing well; could be that the owner has a loyal following of customers for her weekend cooking classes in back of the store.
That looks perfect! I also discovered that my bamboo rolling mat fits snugly into a gallon baggie. I made some rolls the other night and used it that way and it was as snap to clean. I took the baggie off and trashed it. It did wipe down easily between rolls and the baggie didn't seem to hinder me in my roll making.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 PM   #467
Head Chef

I saw your earlier post, Timo, and think it's genius. One of the headaches of bamboo rolling mats is brushing it clean afterward. A personal headache of making inside-out rolls is wrestling with sheets of sticky cellophane. This solves both. Great trick!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM   #468
Executive Chef

Quote:
I saw your earlier post, Timo, and think it's genius. One of the headaches of bamboo rolling mats is brushing it clean afterward. A personal headache of making inside-out rolls is wrestling with sheets of sticky cellophane. This solves both. Great trick!
I actually got the idea from watching "mysushidaddy" videos. he uses one that way. I wish I could say that it wa my idea!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:19 PM   #469
Certified Cake Maniac

Woke up to another Bento Breakfast!
- rice noodles with some small cut broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- spring roll
- rice crackers

My water thermos was filled with cranberry juice and my hot thermos was filled with green tea.

Gotta love my DH

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:20 PM   #470
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Woke up to another Bento Breakfast!
- rice noodles with some small cut broccoli, cauliflower and carrots
- spring roll
- rice crackers

My water thermos was filled with cranberry juice and my hot thermos was filled with green tea.

Gotta love my DH

Your body loves you! What a wonderful breakfast!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker