Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first Tamagoyaki and I tried out the Plum Vinegar on the spinach. This was so fast...30 minutes total, just because I wasn't used to the egg dish.

28716-albums312-picture2553.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2554.jpg

Last edited:
Princess Fiona, they look just beautiful! And so healthy too. I am avidly searching out recipes so that I can get started on this. :)

Princess Fiona, they look just beautiful! And so healthy too. I am avidly searching out recipes so that I can get started on this. :)

Thanks, Leanne! Health reasons are why I started looking into Bento, portion control is another good reason! It is chock full and only 600 calories, making everything fresh I control the sodium and fat content, too!

My first Tamagoyaki and I tried out the Plum Vinegar on the spinach. This was so fast...30 minutes total, just because I wasn't used to the egg dish.

Umesu <sp> is one of my favorite things to put on broccoli (in the summer when it's hot, I'll splash some in a glass of ice water and drink it...).

Here is what I cobbled together for tomorrow. I started to make Sesame Noodles but had no sesame oil. Instead, I used chili oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and scallions.

Attachments

• Bento3.jpg
    Bento3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 178
Here is what I cobbled together for tomorrow. I started to make Sesame Noodles but had no sesame oil. Instead, I used chili oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and scallions.

Looks very good! Tonight, I'm going to play with making Instant Miso soup, pre-saute' some bok choy, grape tomatoes, green onions and a chili pepper to add to it tomorrow. Will add some turkey from the other night. I'll be loading it into my Mr. Bento.

Steamed some granny smith apples. Nothing added, for a dessert.

Looks very good! Tonight, I'm going to play with making Instant Miso soup, pre-saute' some bok choy, grape tomatoes, green onions and a chili pepper to add to it tomorrow. Will add some turkey from the other night. I'll be loading it into my Mr. Bento.

Steamed some granny smith apples. Nothing added, for a dessert.

I love Miso soup and bok choy, but have never made either. Apples are also terrific! I cannot wait to hear how they turn out for you! Greek yogurt is making a great dessert option for me. I also like the sugar-free chocolate pudding as a change as well.

It's really fun to think about putting lunch together. I'm so glad that you suggested this. :)

Last edited:
I love Miso soup and bok choy, but have never made either. Apples are also terrific! I cannot wait to hear how they turn out for you! Greek yogurt is making a great dessert option for me. I also like the sugar-free chocolate pudding as a change as well.

It's really fun to think about putting lunch together. I'm so glad that you suggested this. :)

When you decide to try some Bok Choy, spend a bit more and get the Baby ones. The big ones are fairly bitter. Baby Bok Choy is $3.49 a pound, and I got enough for three servings for $1.47.

I just subscribed to the e-mail for Just Bento. She has directions for "Instant" Miso Soup on the blog. Not as much salt as the packets of Instant miso soup in the store.

Does this mean you two are bento buddies?

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

But of course. I could purchase you your very own Bento Box and you could be our buddy too. You know...hang out with the cool kids. ;)

When you decide to try some Bok Choy, spend a bit more and get the Baby ones. The big ones are fairly bitter. Baby Bok Choy is $3.49 a pound, and I got enough for three servings for $1.47.

I just subscribed to the e-mail for Just Bento. She has directions for "Instant" Miso Soup on the blog. Not as much salt as the packets of Instant miso soup in the store.

I will have to seek them out this weekend. This week has been filled with challenges...including preparing tomorrow's Bento box around someone who was cleaning out a much-needed-to-be-cleaned cabinet. :rolleyes:

But of course. I could purchase you your very own Bento Box and you could be our buddy too. You know...hang out with the cool kids. ;)

I will have to seek them out this weekend. This week has been filled with challenges...including preparing tomorrow's Bento box around someone who was cleaning out a much-needed-to-be-cleaned cabinet. :rolleyes:

Frank keeps peeking, he wants to hang out with the girls!

I wasn't paying attention to the time, so my miso soup will be turkey, tomato, nori and rice. Tomporrow night I will play with sauteeing. I've been up too long today and shouoldn't be playing with knives! Or hot pans.:LOL:

Okay, I just really looked at this thread for the first time tonight. I am hooked and want the same one as you, Fiona!

Okay, I just really looked at this thread for the first time tonight. I am hooked and want the same one as you, Fiona!

My meal today was meat-free...if you count egg as vegetarian. I actually used Egg Beaters, so the only fat in my meal today was the 2 tsp of grapeseed oil I used for the eggs and the spinach. I also did not add any salt to anything.:)

We are happy to have more bento fans!:chef:

Ok, all my stuff has arrived. Time to play!
I have cooked and frozen lots of rice already. Do you ladies cook and freeze portions of your other dishes too? I would love to cook everything from fresh but there isn't always time.
Also I need to keep my meals very low carb. I have made my rice portions about 3/4 of the size of a "normal" portion. I'm guessing that is the main source of carb usually found in the box?
I am just loving all this.

I was able to find the Just Bento Cookbook at the local library so I'm going to pick it up from reserve on the weekend to have a read through ^_^ Surprisingly the library has quite an abundance of bento related books so I'll be running them through my reading list very soon.

Thanks to this thread I've also been searching out some new bento recipes from a Japanese cooking site (much in the vein of Recipezaar/Food.com). My Japanese is utterly appalling, but I'm fairly fluent in Google Engrish so... at least translating the 'translated' recipes is just as entertaining as finding new recipes to try (ah Google Translate. The never-ending source of amusement for bizarre, unrelated statements :ROFLMAO:).

Back
Top Bottom