"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #541
Executive Chef

I totally derailed there, sorry.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:15 PM   #542
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
I really like your bento box thread. I read it, have never done it.
If this link is a repeat please just ignore it. This website has some beautiful bento boxes, I thought some of you may enjoy.

Bento pictures - Bento photo gallery

I love looking at the pictures and trying to think up what kind of things might work for me. I think I need a hot and cold bento box, as I feel more satisfied with hot and cold food for a meal.
Thanks, Blissful! I love looking at the ideas!

Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #543
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DampCharcoal View Post
The more I look into it, the more I like it!

I need a dietary lifestyle change and that might be the way to go.

My issue is that I like to eat (obviously) and I also like grains and cheese.

I think I could get used to a structured meal plan which tastes good and is satisfying but I'm guessing that's as elusive as an FDA approved magical weight loss pill.

Anywho, a successful diet is more mind-over-matter more than anything else.

I'm still working up the brain power. ;)
Finding the right size Bento Box is half the battle. You need to make sure you can get enough in it to make a substantial lunch. I love bento for the portion control.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:24 PM   #544
Head Chef

whoa, bliss, check out all them lunchboxes! it'll take a while to look at each one for ideas...

D'Charcoal, I like that it encourages variety. Just as important for a good diet. For some working people, eating out every day, mixing lunch up can be a difficult chore.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #545
Head Chef

1. osuimono soup
2. plain white rice
3. sukiyaki
4. grapefruit & orange
5. OJ

Soup has green onion and bok choi leaves.Rice is topped with a tsukemono of kombu seaweed julienne braised in a teriyaki flavor. It's called tsukudani, and I cook mine with bacon and garlic. Sukiyaki is beef, tofu, oyster shrooms, cabbage, leek, spinach and zucchini. The beef is not cut for sukiyaki, but it's the best my city can offer. I sliced it up to get more into my bento box. Grapefruit is from my neighbor, oranges are from an acquaitance. One tree is too much for most home gardens. The supremes & juice are topped with toasted almonds. Like stews, some people think that sukiyaki tastes better the next day as leftover. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the #1 most common item in bento boxes sold at markets near train stations.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #546
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Spork! What sauce is on the sukiyaki? Any garlic or ginger in it?
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #547
Head Chef

No sauce, Fifi-chan. Mine also has no garlic or ginger.

Sukiyaki, meaning to cook whatever you like, is a simmering communal pot. The ideal appliance is a deep, tabletop electric skillet. There are many rituals, do's and don'ts, about it. I have none. The broth in which everything simmers is classic Japanese: dashi, soy, mirin, sugar, sake. Proportions vary with household; mine is roughly 10:5:5:2:1, which I like to cook together briefly in a sauce pan in advance. A good place to start is 2:1:1 with sugar & sake to taste. In addition to a decanter of that broth, I keep some water, soy sauce and sugar handy tableside to adjust the pot's taste as the dinner night progresses. The only commonality of what goes into the pot are that they be cut to be easily retrieved with chopsticks and that they cook in a broth relatively quickly which is why the beef should be the thinnest possible cut, to the point where its muscle cells contract and curl with the application of heat.

My one gripe with sukiyaki in a bento box is that I like to dip my pot pickings into raw egg. Which would be like, for lunch, loading each chamber with a live slug.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:41 AM   #548
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
My one gripe with sukiyaki in a bento box is that I like to dip my pot pickings into raw egg. Which would be like, for lunch, loading each chamber with a live slug.
How does the raw egg work. You dip it in before you cook it?
What would make it like a live slug? Just wondering.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #549
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by spork View Post
No sauce, Fifi-chan. Mine also has no garlic or ginger.

Sukiyaki, meaning to cook whatever you like, is a simmering communal pot. The ideal appliance is a deep, tabletop electric skillet. There are many rituals, do's and don'ts, about it. I have none. The broth in which everything simmers is classic Japanese: dashi, soy, mirin, sugar, sake. Proportions vary with household; mine is roughly 10:5:5:2:1, which I like to cook together briefly in a sauce pan in advance. A good place to start is 2:1:1 with sugar & sake to taste. In addition to a decanter of that broth, I keep some water, soy sauce and sugar handy tableside to adjust the pot's taste as the dinner night progresses. The only commonality of what goes into the pot are that they be cut to be easily retrieved with chopsticks and that they cook in a broth relatively quickly which is why the beef should be the thinnest possible cut, to the point where its muscle cells contract and curl with the application of heat.

Thank you for the description and the formula. This should go into my Mr. Bento with the thermal cup. That must be some killer broth after all the bits are eaten!
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 PM   #550
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
How does the raw egg work. You dip it in before you cook it?
What would make it like a live slug? Just wondering.
There are two camps of sukiyaki eaters, bliss -- those who dip or don't in raw egg. Pick whatever you want from the pot, dip in a transitional bowl of beaten egg, then eat. My live slug reference is two-fold: a raw egg is slimy, and eating raw egg is an exercise in Russian Roulette. But a raw egg in a lunch box is like loading a roulette gun that does not have blanks in all but one chamber, each is live.

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker