"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 02-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #51
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
Had to do it! He made fun of Hello Kitty.
He better be careful, I'll send Kuromi after him.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #52
Executive Chef

Yes, I use 2 Bento Boxes in place of a picnic basket for an intimate lunch.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:36 PM   #53
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

SO cute. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
Yes, I use 2 Bento Boxes in place of a picnic basket for an intimate lunch.

What are your favorite fillings for them??
Old 02-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #54
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenA View Post
SO cute. :)
I am all set for my Nutrition Class on Monday, Hello Kitty socks, water bottle, notebook and pen. I should have gotten the little Bento box and made myself a snack to take with me, I'll be there from 9 am-1 pm, maybe later....there is a Mended Hearts meeting, also...and they are making Valentines for the patients on the cardio floor!

I might make sweet omelette with strawberry, or a regular omelet with some anchovie and wasabi, rolled and cut like sushi.

Tomorrow morning is the Heart Expo, I'll be attending that, there are several lectures I want to hear.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #55
Executive Chef

I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #56
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post
I fill them with single bite items - and usually some sort o sauce in the center compartment (mine is a 5-compartment box.) I used a piece of elastic with snaps to secure it, and added a tight loop to hold a pair of chop sticks against the lid.

Lunch items can include nearly anything as long as it's cut down to bite size -

Salad, chicken nuggets, diced deli-made spring rolls, diced tomatoes with dressing, fresh fruit, diced roast beef, chilled roasted vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, celery, cucumber) with an Asian vinaigrette, Italian seasoned croutons - homemade, mini Ritz crackers w/peanut butter.

I try to have fun as well as do something of a theme that's not always Asian.
Sounds good, I am sure I will end up with alot more bite size meals than I do with traditional bento meals. But I am going to try! I plan a steamed asparagus sushi for this weekend, using salad greens as a wrap.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:43 PM   #57
Cupcake

Good ideas, Selkie.

PF, I was miffy at lunch today. Not being in the office meant that I was gifted with marginal sandwiches and chips.

The small dessert bites were Bento-worthy. Tiny and satisfying. Asparagus sushi wraps sound great!
Old 02-11-2011, 09:01 PM   #58
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I misread shitake.
Shiitake mushrooms: Making the Western World double-take more than the creation of Spotted Dick
Old 02-11-2011, 09:12 PM   #59
Cook

Quote:
I'll have to head to Spokane (Seattle) or Denver for a good selection. Dad offered to take me to the Oriental store in Denver the next time I visit. Luckily, my little Whole Foods knock off store has a little of most things.

I haven't tried wakame, yet. I'll be making Dashi with kombu this weekend. If not, I'll switch to shitake.
For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!

Quote:

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop
Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #60
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by potsnpanties View Post
For me I'd have to take a good 40-minute drive to the nearest Asian grocery store (which is questionable for stock and price), so I do with what I can get from mass chain supermarkets. I'm yet to try efooddepot mainly due to postage cost considerations but they have a huge selection of items. There's always eBay too (but again, postage costs always must be considered).

If you get Kombu but can't get any Bonito Flakes, I can give you Hideo Dekura's shiitake dashi recipe, it's very simple but a good base!

You posted my absolute most favoritest favorite Sanrio character ever Poor Kuromi-chan, always getting the fuzzy end of the lollipop
LOL! Spokane is at least 3.5 hours away and Seattle is about 12...Denver is 18 hours, if you don't stop for food or rest stops.

I managed to get the last package of Bonito at The Good Food Store. So, I'll have some Dashi, no problem. Actually, I think I have everything except my real Bento box. Even my Bento cookbook showed up tonight.

Kuromi is so Kawaii!

Tags
bento, fish, onigiri, other, rice, rice cooker