Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oops. I found this in my cupboard. It had an expiration date of 9/22.

img_1060340_0_e2f6f38492c32db833edc5d11612597d.jpg
img_1060340_1_7c1377a4fc1fb627fd11cfef4516a7cf.jpg

According to its ingredients list, the stuff in its vinegar pack includes carrots, lotus root, bamboo shoot, and rehydrated shavings of a gourd called kanpyou. I added: julienne of egg and cucumber, extra shiitake mushrooms reconstituted in soy+mirin, some chopped shrimp, and extra nori seaweed and toasted white sesame seeds.

My bento box
1. chirashi zushi, bottle of soy sauce
2. kombu dashi, with wakame and green onion
3. tofu topped with kimchee & korean kalbe pork
4. senbei rice crackers
5. hot green tea

img_1060340_2_9e7470f24ac01f91e0b1eaeac1d6130b.jpg

My preference for sushi rice is freezing it, thawing slowly or at low microwave power. Chirashi, trash, is great for bento lunches. I can eat a gallon of it. The round of tofu was pan-fried with a thin coat of kinako, or soy bean flour. The chopped kimchee is tossed with sesame oil. Korean kalbe is usually for beef short ribs, but I really like it for lean sections of pork shoulder. What can I say, I love my senbei crackers.

Ayame, Himemasu or Masu.. Though it appears that trout are classified as a type of salmon in the words Himemasu and Masu.

-Damien

I did find Salmon, I guess I could have gotten away with that. Thanks, Damien and that's a great looking fish!

arigato, my nihongo is going slowly. I have to keep looking everything up.

Oops. I found this in my cupboard. It had an expiration date of 9/22.

According to its ingredients list, the stuff in its vinegar pack includes carrots, lotus root, bamboo shoot, and rehydrated shavings of a gourd called kanpyou. I added: julienne of egg and cucumber, extra shiitake mushrooms reconstituted in soy+mirin, some chopped shrimp, and extra nori seaweed and toasted white sesame seeds.

My bento box
1. chirashi zushi, bottle of soy sauce
2. kombu dashi, with wakame and green onion
3. tofu topped with kimchee & korean kalbe pork
4. senbei rice crackers
5. hot green tea

My preference for sushi rice is freezing it, thawing slowly or at low microwave power. Chirashi, trash, is great for bento lunches. I can eat a gallon of it. The round of tofu was pan-fried with a thin coat of kinako, or soy bean flour. The chopped kimchee is tossed with sesame oil. Korean kalbe is usually for beef short ribs, but I really like it for lean sections of pork shoulder. What can I say, I love my senbei crackers.

I love your Bento lists, I can follow them like recipes. That one looks really good.

I was gifted some mung bean noodles...I was thinking some chicken with a mandarin orange sauce and diced steamed veggies.

I love your Bento lists, I can follow them like recipes. That one looks really good.

I was gifted some mung bean noodles...I was thinking some chicken with a mandarin orange sauce and diced steamed veggies.

Darn--PF, wish you'd posted this while I was still in MN--I could've sent you some of the surplus cans of mandarin oranges my father collects...and, I've held off chicken wrangling today thinking you might show up to help.

Oh, I cook them and eat them...but actual fishing...rather read. The last time I went fishing, I got a worm on a hook stuck in my face...I was 11. That ended that!:ROFLMAO:

I like being focused and ultra-aggressive with my fishing, but I've also been known to relax in a mid-to-late-summer chair, soak some sun without a shirt, soak a corn kernel on a tiny hook, to read a Sunday paper and sci-fi paperback. The resulting epic fight with a 20-pound carp on 4-pound fishing line stops joggers at the park. I have no idea what to do with such a fish, so I land it and let it go. Re-bait and read.

If I had your same 11-year-old experience, I'd not doubt swear off the sport. Yikes, you musta been freaking! I bet your Dad still feels guilty about it.

Darn--PF, wish you'd posted this while I was still in MN--I could've sent you some of the surplus cans of mandarin oranges my father collects...and, I've held off chicken wrangling today thinking you might show up to help.

I have two boxes of canned mandarins, i get them at Costco and since both of us eat them a can at a time...:rolleyes: As for chicken wrangling, I would have had to walk, Shrek had the car today so he could go pretend to be in a band.:ROFLMAO:

I like being focused and ultra-aggressive with my fishing, but I've also been known to relax in a mid-to-late-summer chair, soak some sun without a shirt, soak a corn kernel on a tiny hook, to read a Sunday paper and sci-fi paperback. The resulting epic fight with a 20-pound carp on 4-pound fishing line stops joggers at the park. I have no idea what to do with such a fish, so I land it and let it go. Re-bait and read.

If I had your same 11-year-old experience, I'd not doubt swear off the sport. Yikes, you musta been freaking! I bet your Dad still feels guilty about it.

The reading part sounds perfect. My Dad had decided that trip that he would no longer bait our hooks, so he handed me the worm to skewer and then I went to cast and the wind caught it. So I was already squeemed to handle and hook the worm...:LOL: I can still see it squirming there on my face...that was 40 years ago.

If I fished without my shirt, I'd be arrested.:mrgreen:

Ha-PF--you must be the baby that got swapped for one of my brothers--no one could buy mandarin oranges in that quanity without a genetic link to my father!

Ha-PF--you must be the baby that got swapped for one of my brothers--no one could buy mandarin oranges in that quanity without a genetic link to my father!

I was thinking a genetic link to MY father...he used to hoard canned Kadota Figs. He also had me buy 25 pounds of buckwheat flour, he stored it in the freezer. He uses it to make soba noodles about once a month, if he remembers he put it in the freezer.

Oh, I cook them and eat them...but actual fishing...rather read. The last time I went fishing, I got a worm on a hook stuck in my face...I was 11. That ended that!:ROFLMAO:

OMG, that would do me in. Actually, hooking up the worm. Ew.

That is my idea of fishing!!!

Spork, how do you freeze the rice? I tried to do it, but it was so dry when I thawed and heated it. :/

I was thinking a genetic link to MY father...he used to hoard canned Kadota Figs. He also had me buy 25 pounds of buckwheat flour, he stored it in the freezer. He uses it to make soba noodles about once a month, if he remembers he put it in the freezer.
What-what, you're thinking I'm the baby that got swapped and we're really SEESTERS? But I'm the one that looks like my father--so much so, friends from HS thought my brothers were adopted...which wouldn't have been a bad thing, just that none of us look alike and I'm the only one that looks like either parent...was your dad a milkman?

Last edited:
What-what, you're thinking I'm the baby that got swapped and we're really SEESTERS? But I'm the one that looks like my father--so much so, friends from HS thought my brothers were adopted...which wouldn't have been a bad thing, just that none of us look alike and I'm the only one that looks like either parent...was your dad a milkman?

As a matter of fact...:ROFLMAO:

Actually, hooking up the worm. Ew. Actually, I like baiting my hook, having a squirming worm in my hand. *shrug* must be a guy thing...

Spork, how do you freeze the rice? I tried to do it, but it was so dry when I thawed and heated it. :/

KZ, I do get some help with these...
img_1063337_0_6f7b48b48aa8dd9f9101e5542ac75085.jpg

Single serve microwavable plastic ware. The container's bottom is shaped like a bundt cake mold and ensures that its content gets equal radiation. You know how, like with maybe a stew, you microwave once, then stir the contents to expose the yet frozen middle, then microwave again. This solves that problem. The lid has a tiny vent that can be closed, or opened to allow steam pressure to escape. I purchased them in Japan, but I've seen similar ones sold at local stores and online at that Marukai Store website I posted earlier under the category "kitchen utensils." I think the brand name is ASVEL.

Every little thing you can do to trap and contain moisture helps a lot. Like...
containerize when it's steaming hot,
don't compact it; give steam some air pockets,
freeze quickly without stressing the frig,
thaw at room temp, sealed, or better yet,
microwave on high while frozen, with minimum steam vent.
For frozen rice, I'd rather microwave it sealed in cellophane with some poke holes than crack open the lid of standard tupperware...

If it's dry, I just make it into fried rice. :chef:

The only onigiri mold I had was the basic triangle. But they don't fit my round lunchbox well. So I bought a few new ones yesterday. Bite size.
img_1064922_0_44dd1c1fc111ea5e278d372284122c31.jpg
I usually prefer a filling in the middle of my triangular nigiri, like nori or umeboshi paste, katsuo-bushi or left-over salmon. These rice balls are maybe too small to contain fillings, though. Other than a shake of different mixes of furikake, I don't really have a good repertoire of flavoring onigiri on the outside. It's fun feeling like I'm at "Page 1" on this. I'm going to try start with what GB did... no hibachi grill, so broiling... coated with miso mix, soy sauce mix, etc.

The only onigiri mold I had was the basic triangle. But they don't fit my round lunchbox well. So I bought a few new ones yesterday. Bite size.
img_1065034_0_44dd1c1fc111ea5e278d372284122c31.jpg
I usually prefer a filling in the middle of my triangular nigiri, like nori or umeboshi paste, katsuo-bushi or left-over salmon. These rice balls are maybe too small to contain fillings, though. Other than a shake of different mixes of furikake, I don't really have a good repertoire of flavoring onigiri on the outside. It's fun feeling like I'm at "Page 1" on this. I'm going to try start with what GB did... no hibachi grill, so broiling... coated with miso mix, soy sauce mix, etc.

That is a clever onigiri shaper. I need to make mine smaller, nothing like having a mouthful of rice and nori when the big boss wanders in and asks a question.

My local asian market has started to sell onigiri molds.. let me know if you guys are looking for anything specific...

-Damien

Back
Top Bottom