Bento Boxes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From reading the Kitchen gadget thread and realizing how much I was just holding onto and didn't really use...I made lots o'room. All the gadgets will be going to the facility garage sale for "Relay For Life" (Cancer research).

I rolled out the rice very thin and cut into little triangles, sprinkled with salt and cayenne pepper and am toasting it off in the oven. Rice crackers for soup!

How did they turn out?

I have an idea on where to "store" them. :LOL:

Me too. I'll bet our suggestions do not match. ;)

How did they turn out?

Me too. I'll bet our suggestions do not match. ;)

Quite crunchy, but I will be able to store it in a ziploc and add to soup or stew. It's not a total loss. Now I just need to find out the right proportions of brown rice and water for the rice cooker.

I claimed a small drawer, it's almost full now. Shrek was upset over the cupcake holders, until he realized I paid for them and they are silicone. They showed up today, along with my veggie cutters and egg molds. Now he wants corn muffins.:wacko:

I did brown rice in the cooker...it totally mushed it! Tastes good, but it so very mushy...not sure what to do with it.:ermm:

Did you add salt? I started cooking my rice without salt because we had a house guest who is supposed to be on a low sodium diet. It took a while to realize why my rice was a bit mushy - no salt! I only use 1/4 tsp salt for 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water on the stove top and that's enough to keep the rice from getting mushy. Colour me surprised.

BTW, I use brown basmati.

Did you add salt? I started cooking my rice without salt because we had a house guest who is supposed to be on a low sodium diet. It took a while to realize why my rice was a bit mushy - no salt! I only use 1/4 tsp salt for 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water on the stove top and that's enough to keep the rice from getting mushy. Colour me surprised.

BTW, I use brown basmati.

No salt, I can't have it. It's only the second batch of rice I have made in the new cooker, trying it out with the recipes included, before I start doing my own thing:)

I figured it out!

Bonehead mistake!!! I filled the rice cooker with enough water for TWO cups of rice, not one. I was going back over what I did and realized what happened. So, I did a second batch and it turned out perfect! Now, I need to experiment with my last type of rice, my wild/brown rice blend, then the sky is the limit!

Later this week, I will try an Antipasto Bento...it looks promising, I started marinating the fresh mozz tonight and I have some nice tomatoes, red peppers, clementines, apples, sardines, etc.

Bonehead mistake!!! I filled the rice cooker with enough water for TWO cups of rice, not one. I was going back over what I did and realized what happened. So, I did a second batch and it turned out perfect! Now, I need to experiment with my last type of rice, my wild/brown rice blend, then the sky is the limit!

Later this week, I will try an Antipasto Bento...it looks promising, I started marinating the fresh mozz tonight and I have some nice tomatoes, red peppers, clementines, apples, sardines, etc.

What, pray tell, Princess, is a clementine? :chef:

What, pray tell, Princess, is a clementine? :chef:

I love Clementines. As PF said, it is a type of Mandarin orange. Until tomorrow's Bento, I had at least one in my lunch. Unfortunately, the Clementine season is coming to a quick, sad end. :(

Tonight, I made a fried rice with pineapple and ham, and I made some baked pork egg rolls. They make the basis for tomorrow's lunch pictured below. I also included some strawberries and a pinch of chocolate nibs (hidden by strawberries.)

Attachments

• Bento5.jpg
    Bento5.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Udon noodles, turkey, broccoli and carrots. Clementines. No pictures tonight, I have contest stuff set up every where! I've been prepping like a mad woman.

Today's Bento has marinated Mozzarella, Campari Tomatoes and anchovies with capers in the sealed tier. The bottom tier has sweet omelette and a Dark Chocolate and Raspberry Truffle heart.

For my snacks: Banana, 2 Clementines and an Avocado. I also have Roasted Red Pepper hummus and Crackers if I need something else. Really have to plan for a 10 hour shift, I got caught short of snacks yesterday. I can't eat at 9 pm and come home to sleep.

That sounds really good, PF. Great variety.

Here are pics of my "box." It's not exactly traditional, but was purchased in Japan. The brand is Thermos, so it might be available online. Insulation is so-so, a bit lukewarm by noon. Bottom container has rubber sealed lid. Minor, but unfortunately, all the lids are not microwaveable. The chopsticks came with, but for some lunches, I pack a... yep, a spork.

img_972210_0_334804963cbe421d87898a9f09117d71.jpg
img_972210_1_8c304f001f65a46ac43c4828d49e9126.jpg

img_972210_2_3fab83144dbcc4426d213a29934fd26b.jpg

Good Morning, Spork! Your Bento is very similar to my Mr. Bento by Zojirushi, mine came with a spork and I carry chopsticks. I have quite the collection of sporks and chopsticks.:)

The bento is certainly teaching me about portion sizes.:ermm:

New Bento Box

I filled it with pasta and sauce, tomato wedges, parmesan and a Dark Chocolate Dove heart! I'm also taking along a banana and 2 clementines.

28716-albums312-picture2557.jpg

28716-albums312-picture2558.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom