"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 07-24-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
Master Chef
I use any of the following (based on mood &/or what I happen to have on hand). They all work/melt perfectly fine, & I really don't have any particular preference.

Mexican Velveeta
Cheddar (yellow)
yellow American Cheese
Monterey Jack
Pepper Jack (Monterey Jack with hot peppers)
Habenero Pepper Cheddar
Jalapeno Cheddar

BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Executive Chef
I use extra sharp cracker barrel brand cheddar.

amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 03:32 AM   #13
Master Chef
A lot depends on what kind of nachos you are talking about.

You can take tortilla chips, smear on a little canned chile and refried bean paste, top with a slice of cheese (and a slice of jalapeño if you wish) and bake for a couple of minutes until the cheese melts ... or omit the beef and beans and just melt a slice of cheese on the chip. These can then be served plain or with a bowl of sour cream, guacamole, salsa, etc. The choice of cheese is totally up to your taste. I like them with pepper-jack, or cheddar.

Now, if you're talking about "ballpark nachos" ... a little tub of chips with melted cheese poured over ... melted Velveeta is standard, for some spice then add a can of Rotel tomatoes. Obviously in a venue like a football or baseball stadium there wasn't time to make nachos correctly ... thus the melted glop poured over a tub of chips.

Now, if you want to do some nacho voodoo and get all "gourmet" and into another realm which will only vaguely resemble the original dish (cheese and corn chip) ... then probably any cheese fondu recipe should work.

I ate a LOT of nachos when I was in college. I grew up eating them, Dad made them when I was a kid - many years before my favorite baseball team was the first stadium to sell the "glop" stuff. If you want to know more - read this.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain
Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Assistant Cook
My vote is for monterey jack and mild chedder. I lean toward a white quesso base for most texmex, with a little shredded chedder melted on top.
mandoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:39 PM   #15
Head Chef
Pepper Jack and Mild Cheddar is a crowd pleaser.
3..2..1.. HUSTLE! HUSTLE!
Mylegsbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 AM   #16
Master Chef
Forgot about the Queso cheese(s).

We have a large Hispanic population here & not only do we have 3 individual Mexican markets, but 2 of the local regular supermarkets carry a LOT of groceries & produce geared towards those cuisines. All different types of fresh & dried chiles, nopales (both paddles & fruit), tortillas in packages from a dozen to a hundred, etc., etc. It's great!!

Anyway, one of the markets carries a brand of Queso that has chopped red & green jalapenos added to it, & boy is that good stuff!! I not only enjoy it on plain crackers, but it melts beautifully for nachos.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Executive Chef
We always use extra sharp cheddar because it's always what we have in the house. I bet pepper jack would taste great! I just may have to try it myself.
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings." http://aidancallum.blogspot.com/
corazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:15 PM   #18
Master Chef
Usually grated sharp cheddar, but have used the Mexican melting cheese as well, and sometimes pepper jack. I can't remember which quesa the Mexican cheese is. I've bought three types, but only one really works well for that purpose. We're a tourist town, and everyone knows restaurants would cease to exist without lots of Mexican labor. I love it because it means that, even in a very small Midwestern town we have a great Mexican restaurant, two Mexican grocery stores, and real Mexican products in our regular grocery store.
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #19
Head Chef
Colby and pepperjack approx 1/2 & 1/2.
"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:47 PM   #20
Head Chef
Thanks for all your replies! I've tallied your suggestions to try to establish a 'trend'. It's difficult taking recommendations from folks I don't know really well, as we all have different tastes in what we like. I once asked for a recommendation on wine from someone I didn't know all that well and I found out that what she thought was 'great' tasted like swill to me.

That said, I have a couple of ideas of things to try from your suggestions...
1. I think I'll try the mild cheddar/pepper jack combo (seems more like my 'standard' but with added zest from the pepper)
2. I'll probably try experimenting with Velveeta and adding things (peppers, etc) as a dipping style sauce... I haven't actually made nacho 'sauce' like that.

Dogs have owners ~ Cats have staff.
The Z is offline   Reply With Quote