Biscotti allŽArancio e Mandorle
While all Italian cookies are referred to as Biscotti, these are really Biscotti, with Almond & Orange ...
BISCOTTI denotes " baked twice " ...
True Biscotti are made in many different flavor combos and in many different regions of Italia. These Almond and Orange ones are originally from an old lady friend who is native to the region of Lazio ( Roma ). The secret: to this cookieŽs lightness is NOT to use too much flour and to freeze the dough before forming it into logs.
MAKES ABOUT 60:
3 cups all purpose flour
4 tsps baking powder
1/2 cup sugar ( I cut 1/2 cup sugar out )
7 tblsps butter at room temperature
3 large eggs
1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds = 3 1/2 ounces
3 tblsps chopped candied orange zest
3 tblsps Brandy or Italian or French Orange liquor ( Grand Marnier for example )
1 large egg yolk, beaten to blend
1. preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit
2. line 3 baking sheets with wax paper
3. sift flour and baking powder into medium bowl
4. beat sugar and butter in large bowl until well blended
5. add eggs one at a time, beating until fluffy ( take your time and patience )
6. combine the almonds and candied orange peel 7. add flour mixture and liqueror and beat until well blended
7. spoon dough out onto 1 prepared baking sheet
8. press to form 12 inch long rectangles, about 5 inches wide and note: dough shall be very soft
9. place dough in freezer until firm about 35 mins.
10. cut the chilled dough lengthwise into 3 strips
11. shape each strip on lightly lightly floured surface into 12 inch long and 1 1/2 inch wide logs. Transfer the logs to remaining prepared sheets and space 2 inches apart.
12. brush all the logs with egg yolk beaten
13. bake until golden and firm to touch about 30 mins.
14. cool completely and then reduce the oven temperature to 325 degrees farenheit
15. using a serrated edged knife, cut the logs into 3/4 inch diagonal slices and stand the biscotti upright on 2 heavy large baking sheets
16. bake until pale golden for another 20 to 25 mins.
17. transfer to a rack and cool for 1/2 hr.
Enjoy with a cappuccino or espresso and cordial of choice and / or gelato ...