"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-24-2006, 11:36 AM   #1
Master Chef

Black Beans Salsa TNT Recipe needed

Does anyone have a really good recipe that they make?

I have to admit I've never eaten Black Beans before. I'd like to try a salsa recipe that includes them. I've seen photos of a black bean salsa but don't recall what all the ingred. were. I remember corn and a green herb which was probably cilantro. I'm sure there would be lime juice also.

Old 08-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Sizz,
I don't have a salsa recipe, but I do have a black bean and corn salad that we have with Mexican food and it could be used as a salsa.Let me know if your interested and I'll give it to you.
Also, if you have a salsa you enjoy add some black beans to it and some corn..Black beans seem to just go with tomatoes and corn..In soups, salads..
kadesma

Old 08-24-2006, 11:59 AM   #3
Head Chef

I don't use a formal recipe, just what I have on hand. Keep in mind that you can increase, decrease or eliminate all together any of these ...

6 Roma Tomatoes - slice in half, squeeze out excess juice and seeds, chop to desired chunkiness
1 Clove Garlic - crushed and diced
1/2 Red Onion - fine diced (my mom swears by red onion, I tend to use what I have on hand)
1 bunch cilantro - chopped
1 can corn - drained
1 can black beans - drained and rinsed
1 Lime - juiced

That's about it! Like kadesma said, you can add black beans to any salsa that you really like. Also, they are really good over brown rice with salsa and a little dab of sour cream (drain and rinse beans).

Good Luck!
Old 08-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #4
Master Chef

kades............yes please share. I love mexican food. I think I will try adding those to the salsa recipe I recently came up with.

Jmed..........thanks so much for the recipe.
Old 08-24-2006, 01:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
kades............yes please share. I love mexican food. I think I will try adding those to the salsa recipe I recently came up with.

Jmed..........thanks so much for the recipe.
Here you are Sizz
I use one can of black beans about 16 oz., drained, 8oz. frozen corn, I like the white corn. 8 cherry tomatoes cut up, half a red pepper sliced, 5 green onions, sliced, 1 bunch of cilantro chopped, you can use less if you like. 1 clove of crushed garlic, vinegar to taste and a pinch of cayenne or a dash or two of tabasco and that's it. f you like you can add a little evoo, I do sometimes, I do put the corn in boiling water for several minutes and then mix everything together, toss and serve.. I sometimes stuff this into large tomatoes..But I've also taken flour tortillas, fried them and used them as a scoop to eat the salad..We love the flour over the corn tortillas, the taste is great.

kadesma
Old 08-24-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Here you are Sizz
I use one can of black beans about 16 oz., drained, 8oz. frozen corn, I like the white corn. 8 cherry tomatoes cut up, half a red pepper sliced, 5 green onions, sliced, 1 bunch of cilantro chopped, you can use less if you like. 1 clove of crushed garlic, vinegar to taste and a pinch of cayenne or a dash or two of tabasco and that's it. f you like you can add a little evoo, I do sometimes, I do put the corn in boiling water for several minutes and then mix everything together, toss and serve.. I sometimes stuff this into large tomatoes..But I've also taken flour tortillas, fried them and used them as a scoop to eat the salad..We love the flour over the corn tortillas, the taste is great.

kadesma
Oh this sounds wonderful kadesma......thank you so much! A few questions though:
-Any particular brand of black beans
-What kind of vinegar? White, Red or Cider.
Old 08-24-2006, 02:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Sizz,
I used a mild rice vinegar, but a red wine vinegar or cider vinegar will work. My kids like the rice vinegar it isn't so tart..The brand of black beans was Progresso...

kadesma
Old 08-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma
Sizz,
I used a mild rice vinegar, but a red wine vinegar or cider vinegar will work. My kids like the rice vinegar it isn't so tart..The brand of black beans was Progresso...

kadesma
I'm not sure if my stores carry a mild rice vinegar.......I'll have to check that out.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzlininIN
I'm not sure if my stores carry a mild rice vinegar.......I'll have to check that out.
Sizz, use the vinegar you have, if you want to make it sweeter, add a little sugar that should do the trick or even honey..No sense running around looking for rice vinegar..
kadesma
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

Thanks Kadesma! What other recipes do you use black beans in?

Tags
None