Bombay Potatos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
Someone mentioned these on the Aug 22 dinner forum (sorry I don't remember your name). I've had them twice at a lady's house who didn't share recipes. :rolleyes:

Do you have a favorite recipe to make them? I know she started out by putting seeds into a fry pan and they pop pop popped.

Here's a recipe I use

1 tsp chili powder
1.5 teaspoons of coriander/cumin powder
0.5 teaspoon turmeric
1 tablespoon tomato purée
125ml water.
4 tbsp sunflower oil
6 fresh curry leaves
0.5 teaspoon black mustard seeds
10 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
salt
2 green chilies, cut in half (either leave in seeds if you like HOT or remove)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
15g chopped coriander leaves (?cilantro in USA)
5 -6 large potatoes, cut into pieces, but not peeled, cooked until JUST tender

Mix together the chilli powder, coriander and cumin powder, turmeric and tomato puree with a tablespoon of water to make a paste.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Drop in a curry leaf. It should sizzle and immediately turn dark, then add the remaining curry leaves and mustard seeds. Once the mustard seeds start to pop, add the garlic, the paste and 125ml water. Cook, stirring, over a very high heat. Add the potatoes, salt and green chillies. Cook for 2 minutes. Mix in lemon juice. Serve with fresh coriander (cilantro) leaves.

Thank you Sierra and Ishbel. When the Labor Day holidays are over, I'll start trying new recipes again. I'm just making TNTs for the week long visitors and the party. :)

Ishbel, you've helped me many times, and I'm going to try to remember to come back to this one. I can't get fresh curry leaves here, and my cilantro bolts before I can get full use of it, but am a master at faking it. Husband needs 1 cup of starch at dinner time, and this would really make him happy. On top of that, I have a Pakistani friend who would die for this.

Curry leaves are nice to have but just leave them out if you can't get them.Cilantro is available in the supermarket for $0.50 a bunch. Sub Italian parsley for it if you absolutely can't get it.

Back
Top Bottom