Bulgar Wheat recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I guess bulgar wheat is an ethnic food (not my ethnic background). I was looking for something to do with the sweet potatoes I got the other day, and decided this looks tasty (I love bulgar wheat):

Recipe Details

I make tabouli (sp) when the tomatoes, cukes, and parsley are abundant in the garden. I make bulgar instead of oatmeal on cold mornings, and this dish sounds like just the ticket for today.

I'd love to hear how DC forum members use bulgar, and which grade you like best.

Bulgar, for those who haven't tried it, is inexpensive, quick to prepare, and has a nice texture and somewhat nutty flavor. I can get it at the local grocery store, but for the other grades I usually have to go to an ethnic grocery store (Lebanese, etc.).

Okay--I made this--fast, easy. I can't find the cord to download pics from my digital camera, I'll have to look for it (but probably will finish the dish before I find it--it does look a lot like the photo in the recipe). I did make some changes:

1. I used 1/2 c coarse bulger + 1/2 quinoa (white)
2. I added 1/2 c chickpeas (frozen) while simmering the grains
3. I added 1/2 c frozen peas
4. Increased the amount of cumin to 1-1/2 tsp.
5. Juice of one small lime (I prefer lime with cumin)

A very nice dish.I'll make it again. Easy. Not a lot of prep, not a lot of clean up. One could make it with winter squash instead of the sweet potatoes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom