"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-19-2014, 06:34 PM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyopl View Post
Well I have pretty much all the staple sauces for Asian cooking already in my home, I love to try to cook everything, from Italian to Asian, and I'm Polish :)
But the more I need certain ingredients for what I'm cooking the more I find out that given sauce, milk, etc is the wrong variation of it.
That's why I though I would ask, the more someone writes here, the less I have to research each and every ingredient.
Perhaps if you could explain what "wrong variation" of a given sauce means to you?

Do you mean too many "unhealthy" ingredients? Or too expensive? Or not the brand name given in a recipe?

If a recipe gives a particular brand name----- then it might mean that's the absolute only brand to use and any other brand would result in a disaster. OR it could mean that the writer of that recipe is paid by the manufacturers of that brand..

Maybe a little more explanation of what you mean would help us help you. We're willing to try.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

I mean unhealthy and also the right kind.
Two examples from yesterday for me were:
-coconut milk, I found out the one I have has emulsifiers like guar gum, learned to buy specific ones for more healthy
-specific fish sauce for specific region, learned reading yesterday about pad see ew, that you use different fish sauces for thai/japanese/chinese etc.

Old 01-19-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
I mean unhealthy and also the right kind.
Two examples from yesterday for me were:
-coconut milk, I found out the one I have has emulsifiers like guar gum, learned to buy specific ones for more healthy
-specific fish sauce for specific region, learned reading yesterday about pad see ew, that you use different fish sauces for thai/japanese/chinese etc.
Concerning fish sauce ...

It's a southeast Asian condiment.

I have never seen Chinese or Japanese varieties.

Thai or Vietnamese, only.

Choose a good brand like 3crabs, squid or healthy boy and you're good to go. Most humans cannot discern a huge difference between the good brands.

And there are no legitimate recipes that require a specific brand of fish sauce.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I doubt guar gum is less healthy for you than fermented anchovies!

http://glutenfreecooking.about.com/o...anguargums.htm
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I doubt guar gum is less healthy for you than fermented anchovies!

How to Use Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum in Gluten-Free Recipes
I don't in principal object to guar gum. It is sort of food. I just resent them changing the texture of stuff with it. It is often used instead of a better ingredient, i.e., less real cream in ice cream.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:13 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't in principal object to guar gum. It is sort of food. I just resent them changing the texture of stuff with it. It is often used instead of a better ingredient, i.e., less real cream in ice cream.
It's a ground seed - it's food, no different from ground wheat or corn. If you want to avoid it for whatever reasons, go ahead. I was responding to the OP. The point here is that it's not unhealthy.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But the OP wrote "ingredients".

I find many Chinese recipes have ingredients like oyster sauce, black bean sauce, soy sauce,...

I have no idea what to look for in in oyster sauce. I just look at the list of ingredients and choose the one with no MSG, and no, or the fewest, weird chemicals. There might be other tips.

I used to find coconut milk in cans that was just coconut milk. I noticed that recently lots of brands have started adding guar gum.
I found ONE coconut milk brand in the "whole foods" type store that did not have guar gum. It was called Natures Value.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:22 PM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

My problem with guar gum is it increases the carbohydrate count in foods. I don't need/want artificially increased carbs...
Old 01-19-2014, 10:50 PM   #19
Wine Guy

Quote:
I'm curious if you have some tips on what to look out for when buying things like soy, sesame, oyster, etc sauces ?
When I go to an Asian market to buy something I'm unfamiliar with, what I usually look for is someone who works there and knows the products. Then I tell them what I'm making and ask what they recommend. If that's not an option (some mom and pop markets seem to be staffed by kids), I've also been known to strike up a casual conversation with complete strangers who appear to know what they are doing. Sometimes I get blank stares, but most people are very helpful.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:52 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
My problem with guar gum is it increases the carbohydrate count in foods. I don't need/want artificially increased carbs...
That's true, and since I don't have a problem with carbs myself, I tend to forget about that. Thanks.

Tags
other, sauce, sauces, spices, tips