"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery
Old 11-06-2004, 10:00 AM   #11
now my aunt's recipe is something like this, but she doesn't use tomato sauce... I dunno.. there is something different in it..but, it's soo good!

Juliev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #12

You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 12:30 PM   #13
Master Chef
I don’t about polish cabbage rolls or any other ones, but I tell you Ukrainian cabbage rolls are the only the real ones.

I hate giving out my cooking secrets, but that is what we are all doing here right, so there it is a tip, or actually three.

1. Buy a meat grinder if you haven’t got one by now. It will be indispensable in anybodies kitchen.
2. Grind your own Pork for the cabbage rolls, if pork is unacceptable (I for one do not eat it) use beef, and this is where the third tip comes in.
3. Do not use ground beef alone in almost any dishes. Mix with some other meat, i.e. ground chicken.

Now, last but not list: do not mince the onion, but rather grind it with meat, portion of meat, portion of onion and so on. If you do that you will have a mixture, for the lack of a better word “Homogeneous”, blend, is blend a better word. Big mistake that people make is adding onion to meat it ends up being meat separate and onion separate, and maybe it’s okay for some, but believe me it is not the way cabbage rolls should be.
Now the cabbage itself, do not put it into microwave, boil it and do not discard the water, but rather use that water to cook the rolls in.
Now tomato souse, ketchup, sour cream those are things that are up to you to use it or not. But the main thing is to have solid base, and in this case it is properly prepared meat.
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 03:46 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
my family uses a very similar recipe to homecook's.
very yummy
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
CharlieD, those are fantastic tips!

Thank you VERY MUCH!!!

(And I totally agree on the "Ukrainian Food" thing!)

Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:20 PM   #16
Master Chef
You are most welcome
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 04:55 PM   #17
OK all, I am copying all of these recipes...and will try them out. But my question is to those of you who advocate the use of meat in them. In my family holupchi has always been one of the traditional "meatless" dishes at Christmas. Is this use of meat your own addition or is it a recipe that you have had passed on to you from somewhere else?

BTW Charlie...the onion with the meat in the grinder is a wonderful idea. One of those oh-so-simple things that make you slap your forehead and say "OF COURSE! Why didn't I think of that before???"
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. Robin Williams
Alix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2004, 05:57 PM   #18
Senior Cook
Ukrainain cabbage rolls

Like Borsch, every Ukrainian Gramma has her own recipe for cabbage rolls, here's my gramma's-in-law:

(p.s. about half the butter may be removed without too much adverse effect on flavor)

Medium cabbage
4 T. Oil
2 ½ c converted rice (Uncle Ben’s)
6 c water
17 T. butter (2 sticks+1T)
Onion finely chopped
1 ½ lbs. ground beef
3 cans tomato soup
1 can tomato sauce
½ can water
Salt and pepper to taste
3-4 stalks celery

Bring large pot of water to boil. Cut out stem of cabbage and place cut-side down in boiling water for about 5 minutes. Turn over cabbage and remove outer leaves from water when soft. Continue until all leaves are removed. When cool enough to touch remove tough spine on leaves for easier rolling.

Bring 6 cups water and one T butter and some salt to boil. Add rice, cover and cook for 18 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 more minutes then pour out any extra water still in pot. Place rice into large bowl for mixing.

Sauté onions in 8 T butter and enough oil to cover until soft. Pour over rice and mix. Add uncooked ground beef and mix together. Season with garlic, salt and pepper to taste.

Warm together tomato soup, tomato sauce, ½ can water, 8 T butter in saucepan. Bring to almost boil. Add garlic, salt, pepper and other seasonings to taste (bay leave, thyme, oregano, etc.)

Line bottom of roaster with chopped celery and cabbage pieces. Place about two spoonfuls of stuffing in each cabbage leaf and roll. Layer rolls in roaster making sure to leave room for sauce. Pour sauce over rolls and cover with large cabbage leaves to prevent from burning. Cover roaster with double aluminum foil. Bake at 350 for 1-1 ½ hours. For even softer cabbage turn off oven and leave for ½ -1 hour more. Enjoy!!
beerco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 04:19 PM   #19
Sous Chef
Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
While I have no contact with the old world cabbage rolls are still one of my specialties with a recipy I got from a pretty antique "time life" cookbook (I bought a set of 50's cookbooks from an antique shop).

Main difference between what I do and what you guys are doing is that I serve mine on a bed of washed sour kraut that has been sauteed with tomato paste and diced tomato. Give it a shot some time, it really adds a nice edge to it and the slight tartness makes the rolls even more addicting.
My english, she's not so good... I meant to say I did it with the malice of forethought.
Lugaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 09:17 PM   #20
Sous Chef
Romanian stuffed cabbage is the meal we serve on Christmas and Easter, along with ham. It's made with equal parts pork and rice, along with sauteed onion, salt and lots of pepper. The cabbages are blanched and then rolled and layered with sauerkraut and tomato juice and simmered on top of the stove just to come up to a simmer, then into a slow oven for quite a long time. Some people serve them with sour cream, and bread and butter. They are absolutely delicious.

BlueCat is offline   Reply With Quote