"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 01-26-2006, 12:03 AM   #31
Assistant Cook

I've used this recipe for several years. The addition of
worcestershire sauce gives the filling a fuller flavor.

1 medium-sized head of cabbage
3 medium onions, chopped
2-3 tbsp butter
1/2 lb each of ground pork AND medium hamburger

2 cups long grain rice for one medium cabbage
1-19 oz can tomato juice
4 tsp salt
ground pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce

- put head of cabbage in freezer for at least 48 hours. Then thaw for 24 hours or less if you leave it on he counter.
- Fry onions in butter until they are transparent. Parboil the rice in a little water
(just to cover the rice) and bring to a low simmer. cook rice until water is absorbed. The rice will still be a little raw, but will complete cooking during baking.
- Add raw ground pork, beef, and fried onions. Mix well. Season with salt and
pepper to taste. Add worcestershire sauce and mix well.
- Grease a roaster (or a covered casserole dish) with a little oil and cover the
bottom and sides of the roaster with the outer cabbage leaves. Roll filling in
an inner cabbage leaf to make a roll. Place rolls in roaster, fitting them snugly
together with the seam on the bottom to prevent unrolling. Rolls can be
placed in layers to fill the roaster. When the rolls are all in place, pour the
tomato juice on top. It is not necessary to use a whole can of tomato juice; it may boil over in the oven. Cover all of the cabbage rolls with left over cabbage leaves. Cover the roaster, then bake in the oven at 400° F for 30
minutes, then 350° for 1 to 1-1/2 hours.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:58 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Cabbage Rolls

It's nice to have so many different recipes to play with....thanks everyone!

Old 01-26-2006, 09:07 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Corinne
I make my cabbage rolls with ham. I just mix up some ground ham (usually leftover), cooked white rice, minced onions, & shredded cheddar cheese for the filling.

I boil the head of cabbage & remove the leaves as they become pliable. Fill them with the ham/rice mixture, roll them up & place them in the baking dish.

The sauce I usually make is tomato sauce or tomato soup & sour cream - something like that!

Sprinkle more cheddar on the top. I LOVE cheese!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #34
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Stuffed Cabbage

1 sm- med head cabbage
ground pork about 2 lbs
1/2 c raw rice
1 tea fennel seed
2 eggs
1 sm onion chopped
salt
white pepper
garlic powder
2 large cans seasoned chopped Italian tomatoes

Remove core from cabbage. Remove as many leaves as possible. Soften leaves in boiling water.
I use Italian sausage ( mild).
Mix rest of ingredients except tomatoes. Cook a small bit of filling and adjust seasonings if pork is not seasoned enough. Add uncooked rice about 1/2cup. Place filling into cabbage fold over sides and roll up and place in large pot with seam down. Add tomatoes and water if needed. Cook on high for about 1 hour.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:53 PM   #35
Cook

Send a message via AIM to Gerrycooks
Stuffed Cabbage

Stuffed Cabbage

1 sm- med head cabbage
ground pork about 2 lbs
1/2 c raw rice
1 tea fennel seed
2 eggs
1 sm onion chopped
salt
white pepper
garlic powder
2 large cans seasoned chopped Italian tomatoes

Remove core from cabbage. Remove as many leaves as possible. Soften leaves in boiling water.
I use Italian sausage ( mild).
Mix rest of ingredients except tomatoes. Cook a small bit of filling and adjust seasonings if pork is not seasoned enough. Add uncooked rice about 1/2cup. Place filling into cabbage fold over sides and roll up and place in large pot with seam down. Add tomatoes and water if needed. Cook on high for about 1 hour.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:20 PM   #36
Master Chef

This is next week's project. Now that I've tasted the ground venison that a friend of a friend gave me, I'm going to use it for part of the meat. Hubby found the meatless idea rather novel. Sounds like a great lent dish. As with most things, I don't use a recipe per se, but one that has evolved -- Mom made them, but they were not part of her ethnic background, just something she picked up from other military wives. Then my MIL taught me (Slovak/Slovene/Ukranian). Then a friend who learned hers from a Russian relative and a Polish in-law. The one touch I didn't see that the latter woman gave me is to put in a couple of cut up polish sausages (not in the meat/rice mixture in the rolls, but just popped into the pot to flavor the sauce). The recipe has definitely evolved A LOT. Since it is impossible to make a little halupke (gwampke, etc), I'm debating my guest list as we speak. I'll taste my paprika before I pour this time!!!
Old 06-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCat
Here is my mom's Romanian Stuffed Cabbage recipe. It's just delicious. We have stuffed cabbage and ham every Christmas and Easter.

Stuffed Cabbage

15 rolls

Ingredients:

1 ¾ Lb. pork butt, coarse ground
1 Med. onion, chopped
1 ¾ C. rice
5 Slices bacon, crisp, crumbled
1 Lb. can sauerkraut, drained
1 Qt. tomato juice
1 Head cabbage, 3 Lb.
1 ½ T. paprika
1 T. salt
2 t. black pepper

Directions:

Place cabbage head in a large pot of water. Heat until leaves become pliable. Peel off one leaf at a time, cut off thick outer vein and place leaves in tepid water. Saute onion in a little oil until golden. Add paprika. Mix together meat and rice. Add onions and bacon. Mixture should glisten. If not, add 1 T. oil. Use 1/3 c. measure of meat mixture per roll. Roll cabbages. In a large pot, place some of the small or torn leaves. Add a layer of rolls. Cover with some of the sauerkraut and a small amount of tomato juice. Layer rolls and sauerkraut without juice. Pour tomato juice over all. If top layer appears dry, add a little hot water. Cook on top of stove 15-20 minutes while heating oven to 325°. Pot should be covered. Transfer to oven. When juices begin to simmer, time for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 300°. Continue cooking for 1 hour. Make sure juices don’t boil. Reduce heat if necessary.

BC
woooo...l.m a cabbage roll freak...love um..this recipe l have to try...many thanks bluecat
grommet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 07:14 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Here is a casserole dish that has all the goodness of cabbage rolls with the ease of just putting it together.

CABBAGE ROLL CASSEROLE
1-1 1/2 lb. ground beef or lamb
2 medium onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 14 oz can tomato sauce
1 can water
1/2 C uncooked rice
4 C cabbage, shredded
sour cream
Brown meeat, onions, and garlic. Drain. Add tomato sauce, water and salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Stir in rice and cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Place 2/3 of the cabbage in a greased baking dish and cover with half the rice mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and bake in 350 oven for 1 hour. Serve with sour cream. Serves 4-6.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 AM   #39
Master Chef

Bluecat, that is exactly the same recipe I have, except that your instructions are more explicit. I'm going to copy it for my files.
Folks, you gotta try cabbage rolls cooked with the kraut...They are so yummy!

One question: do you use raw or cooked rice?

Claire, putting a few sausages in the pot would have to be good...great idea!
Old 06-04-2006, 06:38 AM   #40
Master Chef

I have to say that since I last wrote on this subject, I made cabbage rolls this winter. I brought a few of them up to a shut-in friend, and she loved what she called "the juice". I brought her up more of it, and will put more sauce in my future endeavors in this department. I chopped up the cabbage rolls that fell apart (happens to the best of us), put it in the sauce. Made a great soup that she truly enjoyed.

Tags
None