"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 07-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Cambodian Lok Luk steak, what is the secret???

Hi there, one of the most amazing steak dishes I have ever tried was the Lok Luk steak in Cambodia last year. I never thought a beef can taste like that it was absolutely delicious. Has anyone tried this dish? There is no Cambodian restaurants in the UK which is pity, I have found only one which claims that exist since 1987, and it's in London my home town, but never heard of it before? Has anyone been there? Aww sorry forgot, it's called Lemongrass restaurant in Camden.

This is their website:

Cambodian Lemongrass Restaurant London. Delicious Cambodian cuisine, fresh food, take away and party.

They do offer the Lok Luk steak, but I wonder if the taste will be the same as the one I had in Cambodia? Apparently there is a secret that the chefs would not disclose with others, I have asked few chefs in Cambodia and none of them was willing to tell me the secret. I love cooking and would like to try this at home. Has anyone visited the restaurant in London and tried the steak?

If not I guess I have to go there myself when I find some spare time.

Thanks for your time

Old 07-21-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Seen this?

The Hungry Cyclist | Bespoke Pedal Powered Food Adventures | Get On Your Bikes And Eat – Beef Lok Lak – Cambodian Recipe: London’s A to Z

Old 07-21-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

OMG thank you :) I have to try this at home, although I doubt if will taste the same as the Cambodian one though

Who is this man on the picture? He looks like the one on this website?

Cambodian Lemongrass Restaurant London. Delicious Cambodian cuisine, fresh food, take away and party.

Is that the man himself? His name is Thomas from what I've read on the website.

Well then perhaps not all chefs are hiding their secrets away

We all follow some same recipes for certain meal, but it doesn't mean the taste is the same. In Cambodia I was often told, that the secret is the way you cook it.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:01 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I'm just funning you but......are you sure you weren't enjoying a cut of water buffalo? {:-D] When I was in Southeast Asia, I don't remember ever seeing a cow, but I saw a LOT of water buffaloes.

Tags
beef, other, steak