"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #21
Master Chef

Ah - come on Alix - you know you live on bear stew, braised moose tongue, and fried beaver tails!

Old 06-01-2005, 02:59 PM   #22
Senior Cook

Oh and PLEASE don't forget cod tongues, they are DELICIOUS! I feasted on them at a restaurant last Friday night in Newfoundland - they were deep-fried and awesome!

I regret that I did not get to try the pan-fried home-cooked ones this time around - we DO have to save some new things for my next visit there.

I am French Canadian married to an English Canadian -ancestors from Wales- and I DID serve tourtière and 'cretons' (pork spread) many times to my in-laws and they all loved it. I regret to inform you that tourtière is a very individual thing: each family has their own variations especially the spices they use. In my family we never used mustard, we used ketchup with it, and always served it with different kinds of coleslaw.

I just returned from a trip to Florida in early May - and a trip to Newfoundland for 8 days starting on the 23rd - I found the foods offered in Florida to be fairly different from the usual every day fare but then again it all depends where you eat. I particularly feasted on chowders, conch chowder was the best. I LOVED the many crabs at the Crab Shack!

Let me know if you still need help with recipes.

All things are difficult before they are easy. -Thomas Fuller (1608-61)
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 03:45 PM   #23
Sous Chef

My nephew won't be getting married until October and I will be testing out recipes until the end of September, so all recipes you can think of are appreciated. :) :)

I honestly don't care for conch chowder. I love clam chowder but didn't you notice that the longer you chew on the conch, the bigger it gets? Was like chewing on a tire.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:33 PM   #24
Head Chef

The only truly Canadian dish I am aware of is poutine.

And serving it at a Floridian wedding reception may not be an idea everyone would go for.

Why not just set out cards (printed on the computer or write them yourself) next to the dishes giving them 'Canadian' names.

British Columbian Bacon Wrapped Shrimp, Nova Scotia Conch Fritters, Montreal Egg Rolls, Canapes Québécoise, Maple Leaf pigs in blankets, that sort of idea. Put out whatever appetizers you find special, but give them a Canadian name.

Put out some standing small Canadian flags next to the Stars and Stripes, and I am sure she will appreciate it.

Otherwise it is back to the standard moose chitlins.

Sigh, I hate those suckers.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:32 PM   #25
Everymom

OK OK, you got me. I was hoping no one would ever know of my passion for jellied moose nose and fried beaver tail.

Seriously though, can you get a hold of some smoked salmon? I think you could do well with that as a start. Do some good Alberta beef for the entree, then some rhubarb pie or maple creme brulee for dessert and you are covered.

On my visit to Florida in January, what I noticed is that the portions are considerably larger than what I am accustomed to here at home. Also there are a lot more sauces used in food there than I am used to.

Old 06-01-2005, 07:09 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

ATlantic recipesl

I think all the ideas of flags and giving them a "provincial name"is a great Idea, I can certainly get my hands on books of all kinds of atlantic dishes, which would be comman fare, Like Cod toungues,or seal flippers. There are many unique dishes I would love to share with you, just let me know.

Garnish
Old 06-02-2005, 11:14 AM   #27
Everymom

COOL!!! OK Garnish, even if she doesn't want them, I do! Post some! I'd love to see some of those.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 PM   #28
Sous Chef

I would love to have them too but no POUTINE please. The dish really sounds disgusting. :(
Old 06-02-2005, 05:09 PM   #29
Senior Cook

How about some butter tarts for desert? Not app but

popular in Canada. The only other thing that seemed
to be a local specialty in Montreal (other than poutine)
were smoked meat sandwiches at a chain called Nickels.
Similar to corned beef and pastrami.
I was in Toronto last month and had poutine for lunch. It may sound odd but it is really very good.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:48 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Sugar pie?

Tags
None