Canned Stuffed Grape Leaves - Where Did They Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BreezyCooking

Washing Up
Okay - first off, yes I KNOW I can make them myself, so you needn't bother telling me that - lol!;) I just loved the convenience/handiness & taste of the canned product.

For many, MANY years, I LOVED having a can or two of rice-stuffed grape leaves always on hand in my cupboard. They made terrific additions to appetizer trays along with spanokopita, to Greek salads, or just as a snack with a squeeze of lemon juice. There were a number of different brands, but all of them consisted simply of grape leaves folded around a plain minty-lemony rice filling. No other ingredients.

For the past 6 months, no supermarkets around here carry them anymore. Actually, one market does have them, but they have raisins mixed into the filling & I don't care for that type at all.

I've asked at the markets, done web searches on possible product recalls - can get no answers. Anyone on here have any ideas why they've so suddenly dropped out of sight?

I have 3 more places a bit further away to check out (Wegman's, Shoppers Food Warehouse, & CostCo), but then I'll be out of luck.

I have never seen them in cans so I can't help you there. All the super markets around me that have a salad bar have them at the bar though. You obviously won't be able to keep them in your cupboard that way though.

Hi Breeze,
I have'nt seen them in my neighborhood grocery, but I have seen just the grape leaves in glass jars in the international aisle.

Yes, I can get the plain brined grape leaves in a jar in order to make my own. It's just the already-made canned ones that have disappeared for some reason.

I live in an Egyptian neighborhood, we have them in cans as large as 2 pounds. Great for large parties! no glass jars, just vacuum cans.

I'm guessing you'll find them easily in any Middle Eastern neighborhood's shops.

If you have a Wegmans, they most likely have "freshmade" ones in the olive bar or nearby. I've also gotten a plastic container full of them, but have not seen them canned for several years. (and I've moved since I last saw them. re chefjune's comment)

Last edited:
Yes, it's the vacuum cans of pre-made ones I'm looking for. Guess I'm going to have to start hitting up some specialty markets. Sigh.

I just don't understand why every single grocery store that used to carry them suddenly doesn't.

I guess all I have ever seen are just the grape leaves. I have never actually found canned or bottled dolmathes. I either make my own or head to my favorite Greek restaurant. I LOVE Greek food!

MY daughter and i just made a homemade batch. But I too like the canned variety. The place near me, kind of a second rate grocery store, usually has them. Ive never had to order them online yet, but, I have ordered vacuum packed felafel online from somewhere in chicago. People thought i was crazy, but i was in the mood for felafel and didnt feel like making them myself.

...I just don't understand why every single grocery store that used to carry them suddenly doesn't.

This suggests the brand is no longer in business. How long has it been since you've seen them? Does the brand you bought appear at the linked site?

There were several different brands - all very good & all apparently using the same recipe. And they're now all gone. It's probably been about 4 months since I've been able to get them. Except for the brand with the raisins (yuck).

None of the brands on the linked site ring a bell, but I never really paid much attention to the brand names. Whatever brands the stores carried that were raisin-free were what I bought.

I thought perhaps there might have been a product recall of some type, but couldn't get any info from either the stores or an online search. Odd.

Next time I'm shopping closer in to Wash.DC I'll have to check out some ethnic grocers to see what they have. If I luck out, guess I'll either be making my own (not exactly an "impromptu" solution) or making some bulk purchases online.

There were several different brands - all very good & all apparently using the same recipe. And they're now all gone. It's probably been about 4 months since I've been able to get them. Except for the brand with the raisins (yuck).

None of the brands on the linked site ring a bell, but I never really paid much attention to the brand names. Whatever brands the stores carried that were raisin-free were what I bought.

I thought perhaps there might have been a product recall of some type, but couldn't get any info from either the stores or an online search. Odd.

Next time I'm shopping closer in to Wash.DC I'll have to check out some ethnic grocers to see what they have. If I luck out, guess I'll either be making my own (not exactly an "impromptu" solution) or making some bulk purchases online.

It might be worth a try to ask the store managers about the product. It may just be a lack of demand that took it off the shelves. They may be willing to order some for you.

I buy a brand called Peloponnese Dolmas from the Hi-Vee in Dubuque, IA. And yes, I too know how to make them, BUT you have to make a hundred or so (well, it seems like that when you've rolled a dozen or so). So I buy these.

Two stores around here do carry the Peloponnese brand. However, that's the one with raisins in it that I don't care for.

Amazon is currently running a special on a number of their grocery items - $.99 standard shipping - so I'm going to take Larry's kind advice (thanks for the link!!!) & place an order today for several cans of a few different brands & see which I like best. Then I'll at least have something tangible to talk to my local markets about possibly ordering for me.

Thanks all of you for your help!!!

I think I saw soem at Trader Joes, not sure if canned or jarred. Also Shoppers Food Wharehouse I believe..

Canned Dolmas

Davina Dolmas are the best canned and most authentic I have had. I purchase a 70oz can for any large gathering I hold. Easily feeds 40+ for a party with other appetizers. ALWAYS a big hit.

I prefer home made but found the results inconsistent with the time involved in making them. They either turned out great...or they didnt. For consistency sake these are my go to for entertaining.

You can also get them in 7 oz cans for individual use. :chef:

Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom