"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-18-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Head Chef

MY daughter and i just made a homemade batch. But I too like the canned variety. The place near me, kind of a second rate grocery store, usually has them. Ive never had to order them online yet, but, I have ordered vacuum packed felafel online from somewhere in chicago. People thought i was crazy, but i was in the mood for felafel and didnt feel like making them myself.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
...I just don't understand why every single grocery store that used to carry them suddenly doesn't.

This suggests the brand is no longer in business. How long has it been since you've seen them? Does the brand you bought appear at the linked site?

Old 08-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #13
Master Chef

There were several different brands - all very good & all apparently using the same recipe. And they're now all gone. It's probably been about 4 months since I've been able to get them. Except for the brand with the raisins (yuck).

None of the brands on the linked site ring a bell, but I never really paid much attention to the brand names. Whatever brands the stores carried that were raisin-free were what I bought.

I thought perhaps there might have been a product recall of some type, but couldn't get any info from either the stores or an online search. Odd.

Next time I'm shopping closer in to Wash.DC I'll have to check out some ethnic grocers to see what they have. If I luck out, guess I'll either be making my own (not exactly an "impromptu" solution) or making some bulk purchases online.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #14
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
There were several different brands - all very good & all apparently using the same recipe. And they're now all gone. It's probably been about 4 months since I've been able to get them. Except for the brand with the raisins (yuck).

None of the brands on the linked site ring a bell, but I never really paid much attention to the brand names. Whatever brands the stores carried that were raisin-free were what I bought.

I thought perhaps there might have been a product recall of some type, but couldn't get any info from either the stores or an online search. Odd.

Next time I'm shopping closer in to Wash.DC I'll have to check out some ethnic grocers to see what they have. If I luck out, guess I'll either be making my own (not exactly an "impromptu" solution) or making some bulk purchases online.

It might be worth a try to ask the store managers about the product. It may just be a lack of demand that took it off the shelves. They may be willing to order some for you.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #15
Head Chef

This is the brand I usually get.

And here is a link at amazon. I think this is a pic of the larger can. I know there are much smaller cans too .

Google Image Result for http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WMSNJVBML._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
Master Chef

I buy a brand called Peloponnese Dolmas from the Hi-Vee in Dubuque, IA. And yes, I too know how to make them, BUT you have to make a hundred or so (well, it seems like that when you've rolled a dozen or so). So I buy these.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:23 AM   #17
Master Chef

Two stores around here do carry the Peloponnese brand. However, that's the one with raisins in it that I don't care for.

Amazon is currently running a special on a number of their grocery items - $.99 standard shipping - so I'm going to take Larry's kind advice (thanks for the link!!!) & place an order today for several cans of a few different brands & see which I like best. Then I'll at least have something tangible to talk to my local markets about possibly ordering for me.

Thanks all of you for your help!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 03:44 PM   #18
Sous Chef

I think I saw soem at Trader Joes, not sure if canned or jarred. Also Shoppers Food Wharehouse I believe..
Old 09-02-2009, 04:35 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:

I'm going to take Larry's kind advice (thanks for the link!!!) & place an order today for several cans of a few different brands & see which I like best.

Can I help you eat them ??

Tags
None