Canned Stuffed Grape Leaves - Where Did They Go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just don't understand why every single grocery store that used to carry them suddenly doesn't.

My experience has been that when that happens, I was pretty much the only one buying the product. With little demand, the shelf space is given up to something that sells better.

I also regularly see them sold in grocery store olive bars now - theirs are canned as well.

Like others I order mine now via amazon. Stuffed grape leaves are one of my favorite items to take to a party. Some cubed feta, baby tomatoes and a few olives round out an easy platter that needs no heating and travels well.

I've noticed that grocery stores, even the same chains, carry certain products based on the ethnicity and culture of their patrons. I'm curious, does the Publix groceries in north Florida or other states carry thins like fresh malanga, yucca, mamey, boniato, plantains, callaloo, sour oranges, dried chilis and dried hibiscus flowers?

I've noticed that grocery stores, even the same chains, carry certain products based on the ethnicity and culture of their patrons.

I've noticed that around here, too, even seeing variations from one neighborhood to the next. For example, I know that if I want to buy obscure varieties of Mexican dried chiles, there's one Cub Foods store in particular that stocks no fewer than 14 varieties (I counted). Most others carry three or four kinds.

Last edited:
There's one very large supermarket in our area that has a section for unusual ethnic foods. I normally hate to go in that store because it's so big, but I'm going to check there and see if they have them. I've never had stuffed grape leaves....canned OR home made but I'd like to try them.

314216A8-452E-4ACB-8DE0-48E76F816A81.jpeg

June 6th—Fearlessly Archived—Still a fun read; price & availability may have changed.

Dolmas are most widely known as stuffed grape leaves, but in the cuisines of Greece, Turkey, and other nations of the region, dolma translates to “stuffed thing,” and can be anything from grape leaves to zucchini, eggplant to tomatoes. The Turkish word dolmak translates to “to stuff.” Dolma is a noun derived from that verb. In Greece, the word dolma is only used for stuffed grape leaves. The original dolmas contained meat, and while vegetarian dolmas have gained popularity, both Turks and Greeks to this day refer to rice-stuffed dolmas without meat as yalanchi dolma, which translates to “fake dolma.”

Trader Joe’s Dolmas are the vegetarian variety, made with hand picked, tender, young, Greek grape leaves. They’re stuffed by hand with a traditional blend of rice and seasonings, including dill and mint,with just a touch of pepper. Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon on top and serve with Greek yogurt for a first course bursting with flavor. You can serve Dolmas hot or cold, as an appetizer (mezze) or as part of a Mediterranean-themed dinner. We’re selling each 9.9 ounce can (with a convenient pop-top) for $2.49 each. You’ll find them in our grocery aisle.

https://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2935

I've noticed that grocery stores, even the same chains, carry certain products based on the ethnicity and culture of their patrons. I'm curious, does the Publix groceries in north Florida or other states carry thins like fresh malanga, yucca, mamey, boniato, plantains, callaloo, sour oranges, dried chilis and dried hibiscus flowers?
Maybe it also depends on how big of a chain the store is. When I need "exotic" produce, I know to head to the one-store+one-store chain (they have a regular grocery store and another, different-named store that's smaller in size but wider in choices one town over) in the next town over. Their produce department doesn't have as much real estate as the larger stores around here, but I can find many different selections than anywhere else. Not just Hispanic (there are a lot who reside in that same town), but 6-8 different eggplants, at least half a dozen hot peppers, Hispanic foods I wouldn't even know what to do with - and I recognize more of them than not.

The regular grocery stores sell, well, regular produce.

Hmm. This post revival got me thinking, so I took a quick look around Amazon. They seem to have a nice variety of dolmates.

I love Dolmas. If I was on a desert island, they would be my one food wish. If I was on a dessert island, I would also want them.

I love Dolmas. If I was on a desert island, they would be my one food wish. If I was on a dessert island, I would also want them.

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Me too! If I was on a desert island, I'd want something savory, and tangy like dolmas.
If I was on a dessert island with cakes and cookies, chocolates, and sweets, I'd like something savory and tangy like dolmas.
I would, really I would.

Back
Top Bottom