"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 03-16-2005, 11:26 PM   #1
Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Magia Send a message via MSN to Magia
Ceviche !!!

There is nothing more Guatemalan than having a Ceviche and a Gallo (Guatemalan Beer), on a hot day (It's hot everyday in Gt). Plus, it works like a charm on ANY sort of hangover. Good for the Easter feasting, the diabetics, weight watchers, vegetarians, vegans... In fact, the only people who I can think, would have a definite problem with a good, cold Ceviche, are those allergic to sea food. Need I say more, I present the 100% Guatemalan Ceviche recipe:

Ceviche de Camarón
(Prawn Ceviche)
6 servings

2 cups prawns
2 cup fresh lemon juice
6 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
3 large onion, finely chopped
3 fresh hot red pepper, seeded and chopped
4 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
salt, freshly ground pepper
Worcester sauce

Put the prawns into a large bowl with the lemon juice, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
then, add in the tomatoes, onion, hot pepper, and mint leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper and Worcester sauce, if desired (but highly recommended).
* The prawns should be tailess, headless and pealed but NOT cooked. they will marinate in the lomen juice.

Serve cold (as in form the fridge cold) in salad bowls, with cracker and COLD beer... YUM!
Oh! and eat that with a table spoon. Don't you get all fancy with the little shrimp fork, or you'll drop the juices and veggies in every bite, which is a shaaaaaame...

Old 03-16-2005, 11:47 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to Lugaru
Ceviche is one of those rare "we are latin americans" things that has always intrigued me. This ceviche I could see myself enjoying, even though Im not a mint person I do like it in fresh things like salads and chutneys so ceviche would be nice.

On the other hand I do hear that ceviche in Peru is made with vinagre instead of lime... I cant picture myself enjoying that nearly as much.

Old 03-17-2005, 01:17 AM   #3
Sous Chef

My Peruvian flatmate made ceviche for me not that long ago. He used nile perch with a couple of chillies, alot of lime juice, coriander and celery and red onion. Was delicious served alongside some boiled sweet potatoes and some salted rice.
Old 03-18-2005, 01:40 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

ceviche

ceviche is when you use the blood of the animal to make a sauce?perdon por usar spanish es cuando utilizas de ligazon la sangre del animal?abrazos a todos.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateix
ceviche is when you use the blood of the animal to make a sauce?perdon por usar spanish es cuando utilizas de ligazon la sangre del animal?abrazos a todos.
Un ceviche es alguna carne; puede ser res, cerdo, mariscos, pollo, etc. CURTIDA en limón (no cocida) y acompañada de cebolla y tomate picados.
Curtir es marinar en jugo de limón o vinagre.
El ceviche guatemalteco es curtido en limón, los peruanos usan vinagre. El Ceviche NO lleva sangre de ningún tipo.
------------------------------------------------------------------
Ceviche is a dish made with any sort of beef, pork, sea food, chicken, etc. not cooked but marinated, either with lemon or vinegar. Guatemalan ceviche is marinated in lemon, Peruvian ceviche is marinated in vinegar. But no blood of any sort is added.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:14 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I've only heard of seafood ceviche (scallops, or white fish, or shrimp) - I never knew you could make it with a meat!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 10:17 PM   #7
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I've only heard of seafood ceviche (scallops, or white fish, or shrimp) - I never knew you could make it with a meat!!
Well, actually I've only heard of seafood ceviche (fish, prawns, oysters, clams, octopus, shark, squids, etc)
and beef ceviche. Maybe I exaggerated when I mentioned chicken and pork, since those don't seem to be "marinating material"...
I guess I was trying to prove a point...?
Heh, heh heh... sorry! :oops:
Old 03-20-2005, 01:56 AM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
lol - point proved!!! I'll have to look up a beef ceviche - sounds interesting - but like a lot of my seafood - I also prefer my beef raw. I'm just weird that way! lol

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
lol - point proved!!! I'll have to look up a beef ceviche - sounds interesting - but like a lot of my seafood - I also prefer my beef raw. I'm just weird that way! lol
Well, it is the same recipe for beef. Just replace the prawns with thin, bite-size slices of fresh, raw sirloin. I have had it once or twice maybe, as it isn't as common as the seafood ceviche and it is absolutely delicious. It tastes somewhat like carpaccio
Old 03-24-2005, 08:09 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

CEVICHE:PARDON for the mistake we used the blood of pigs to make embutidos(morcilla)we born the blood and it get something color black,and solid,so I belived than you used blood of animals to make it,pardon for the mistake.

Tags
None