"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 08-16-2011, 06:12 PM   #101
Master Chef

I'm sorry, I meant one whole head.

P.S. I just want to mention that all the ingredients are approximate. You can add salary, or all spice, or whole peppercorn instead of chilly flakes. More or less pepper. You can add capers, if you like.

Old 08-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One more question: I assume you peel the garlic?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:15 PM   #103
Master Chef

Forshmack, a.k.a. chopped hearing.

1 whole hearing deboned and filet
1 egg, hard boiled
1 small onion
1 small white roll
1 small sour apple (if it is not too sour it is ok, just do not use anything overly sweet)
2-3 table spoons oil, preferably corn
Vinegar

Unlike the olden days in Russia or Ukraine, there is no need to soak the hearing, it is not that salty. It is still necessary to soak the bread in the vinegar. Mostly to add that specific vinegary taste.
It is the best to use meat grinder, but food processor would also work. Grind
The fish, onion, apple and bread. If using meat grinder make sure to alternate what you are grinding then it mixes better in the end. If using food processor do not over process, you still want to have texture. It should be the consistency of a ground meat that will be used for a hamburger.
Add couple tablespoons of oil, mix well. Let it rest, even chilled so the flavors would intermarry. Tastes the best on second or even third day. Serve it as Hors D'oeuvres. Spread it on the piece of bread; use it as a side for the boiled or baked potato.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #104
Master Chef

Yes, I do peel and actually crush garlic. You can use it less that way.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 AM   #105
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Wow, is Montana cold? Is it why you do not have them yet?
I think altitude has something to do with it, too. We are about 2-3 weeks behind the midwest with our growing season.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #106
Master Chef

Napoleon

I tried to post this in one of the old Napoleon threads, I hate opening new threads, but the site would not let me do it, so I am adding this to my thread, though this is definitely not Ukrainian.

I will need your help folks. I would like to give this recipe who is Major in English, but seriously minor in cooking. So I know that long before she starts making this she will criticize my English skills. I do not mind, she is a longtime friend and a very good person. I just need to make the recipe understandable for somebody who cannot even cook. Please tell me what corrections to make.

Napoleon.
Ingredients:
5 – Eggs
5 – cups milk (or non-dairy creamer such as Coffee Rich if milk is a problem/allergy)
5 – Table spoons flour
5 – Table spoons sugar
1 – Stick butter (or margarine)
1 or 2 - table spoon vanilla
1 package of Pepperidge Farm pastry dough (store bought)
Grated Chocolate or whip cream for decorating (optional)
Directions:
Dough. There are couple of options, depending how thick you like the baked layers to be, you can cut the defrosted dough into 6 pieces, roll it out thin and bake or bake as is. I like the dough to be thick, so I do not roll it out thin and bake as is. It is very important to pock the dough with fork all over or use pizza roller (the one with spikes). It will help with baking it evenly. Cut the ends of the baked sheets evenly; do Not discard the leftover crumbs, you can use them as a topping.
Cream (or is it called frosting?). Put 4 cups of milk, 1 butter stick, all the sugar and vanilla into a pot. Bring to a boil at the medium heat. You will need to whisk or stir it periodically until it starts boiling. While the mixture is heating up take the rest of the milk (1 cup) + 5 eggs + 5 t. spoons flour mix it all together. Make sure there are no lumps. Slowly add/pour the mixture into the pot, constantly mixing. The mixture should come to a boil, turn down the heat, cook slowly until thickens, constantly stirring or whisking. If you like the cake really moist you can spread ready mixture when it is hot. I do not like it moist, prefer the cake to be still a bit crunchy when you bite into it, so I usually let it cool and spread the cream right before diner. You’ll have to experiment to see which way you like better. You can prebake and premade the cream a day or eve two ahead. But I have to say it taste better when fresh. If you like lemon or maybe even some other flavor you can add along with vanilla.
The recipe could be doubled, tripled or even quadruple (my favorite one, really tall).

I use grated chocolate along with crushed trimmings of the baked layers to sprinkle on the top of the cake, you can use whip cream if you like.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:13 PM   #107
Executive Chef

It looks okay to me D but I'm dyslectic.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:13 PM   #108
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

There are some minor typos, Charlie, but to me, an admitted non-baker, it was quite understandable. Sounds yummy!
Old 08-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #109
Master Chef

Can you please, point out the typos. Thank you.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:04 AM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD
Can you please, point out the typos. Thank you.
Will try tomorrow, Charlie! Others may be able to help before then. I have to go to bed now.

Tags
cabbage rolls, ukrainian