"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-23-2012, 11:58 AM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
On the other hand I always take cabage leaves of the gouptsi. I hate cabage. Actually it is not tastless it tastes pretty nasty to me.
Stirling does that. I'll have to try it some time. I hate overcooked cabbage and I think cabbage is overcooked in just about anything but a stir fry.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #162
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Stirling does that. I'll have to try it some time. I hate overcooked cabbage and I think cabbage is overcooked in just about anything but a stir fry.

What is "stirling"?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:02 PM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

I made cabbage rolls once. I really, really, didn't think they were worth the effort. Steaming all those cabbage leaves to make them pliable was a lot of work.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #164
Master Chef

I usually make "lazy" cabbage rolls. I use cole slaw and shreded carrots in between layers of meat balls. Gives that flavor of the Cabae rolls, but less work and no need to steam before hand and at the end unwarap and toss the cabbage.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:09 PM   #165
Executive Chef

The leaves are not cooked they are cured to make them tasty and pliable, there is a stall in Zagreb market that just sells the cured cabbage heads.

This is a Serbian cabbage salad my favorite way of eating it, slice a hard round cabbage on a mandolin, salt for a few hrs to draw out any bitterness, scrunch with your hand and dress with garlic and evoo.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:10 PM   #166
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I usually make "lazy" cabbage rolls. I use cole slaw and shreded carrots in between layers of meat balls. Gives that flavor of the Cabae rolls, but less work and no need to steam before hand and at the end unwarap and toss the cabbage.
I would be afraid that the cooked cabbage taste would contaminate the taste of the rest of the dish.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #167
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
The leaves are not cooked they are cured to make them tasty and pliable, there is a stall in Zagreb market that just sells the cured cabbage heads.

This is a Serbian cabbage salad my favorite way of eating it, slice a hard round cabbage on a mandolin, salt for a few hrs to draw out any bitterness, scrunch with your hand and dress with garlic and evoo.
Please tell us more about curing the leaves. Sounds very interesting. But, don't the leaves get cooked when the whole dish goes in the oven?
Old 05-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #168
Master Chef

Surprisingly it doesn't.

And Bolas, where are we going to find cured cabbage in America, you silly.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #169
Chef Extraordinaire

TL-A friend of mine told me to freeze the cabbage first--the leaves peel off. Here's a link to doing that for cabbage rolls. I just freeze the cabbage overnight and then let it thaw for about 8 hours.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626...250195,00.html

I imagine one could cure the leaves in a similar way that one prepares them for Kimichi without the chili, etc.

CharlieD--I make lazy day cabbage roll casserole, but my favorite is to make what I call cabbage roll meatloaf. I prepare the meat as if I were going to make cabbage rolls (obviously, I don't cook it), add cooked rice to the meat, and then put some tomato sauce in the bottom of a loaf pan, top with 1/2 of the meat, layer of tomato sauce, some frozen, chopped cabbage (we freeze cabbage in the fall), the rest of the meat, and then tomato sauce, cabbage, a few spoonfuls of sauce, and bake at 350 for about 1-1/2 hours. It tastes just like cabbage rolls, but without nearly as much fuss. I also make cabbage roll soup.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #170
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
TL-A friend of mine told me to freeze the cabbage first--the leaves peel off. Here's a link to doing that for cabbage rolls. I just freeze the cabbage overnight and then let it thaw for about 8 hours.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1626...250195,00.html

I imagine one could cure the leaves in a similar way that one prepares them for Kimichi without the chili, etc.

CharlieD--I make lazy day cabbage roll casserole, but my favorite is to make what I call cabbage roll meatloaf. I prepare the meat as if I were going to make cabbage rolls (obviously, I don't cook it), add cooked rice to the meat, and then put some tomato sauce in the bottom of a loaf pan, top with 1/2 of the meat, layer of tomato sauce, some frozen, chopped cabbage (we freeze cabbage in the fall), the rest of the meat, and then tomato sauce, cabbage, a few spoonfuls of sauce, and bake at 350 for about 1-1/2 hours. It tastes just like cabbage rolls, but without nearly as much fuss. I also make cabbage roll soup.
Well, it all sounds simpler and interesting, but I never had a cabbage roll I liked. Well, I may have liked my Swedish grandmother's kåldolmer. I remember having them, but I don't remember what I thought of them, so I probably didn't hate them.

Tags
cabbage rolls, ukrainian