"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > International Cuisines and Ethnic Cookery

Old 05-25-2012, 02:19 AM   #181
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Thanks Bolas. That sounds like sauerkraut, but without shredding the leaves.
Tax how very observant of you, it took a Serbian scientist 5 yrs to come to the conclusion you could not wrap mince meat in shredded leaves

Old 05-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #182
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Nikita, I think you should take thios thread over and add your recipe. I am just ahome cook. But since you'e writen the book you probably/for sure have better recipes.
I'll do it with pleasure! You are welcome to ask me anything you need.
By the way, as we start talking about staffed cabbage, its reseipt may very significantly depending on the region of Ukraine. Besides, in Moldavian, Tatarska, Russian cuisines there is a kind of Golubtsi. Also, while being in Italy I tried a kind of alternative Golubtsi made of Savoy cabbage. Along with cabbage and grape leaves Golubtsi could be made of spinach, beet leaves, nettle leaves and Brassica pekinensis.

NikitaLysytskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 AM   #183
Executive Chef

Good looking food nikki

Charlie D this is Eva Vestoff my fav cabbage lady in Zagreb Market
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 AM   #184
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Good looking food nikki
Thanks!

Bolas, what is that round cabbage on the photo? How do you eat it?
Old 05-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #185
Head Chef

Hello CharlieD and the others. I'm glad Discuss Cooking called me back to this thread. I'm a total gringo when it comes to these various food groups, and not much of a cook at that. For the family here in Ohio, USA, I taught myself about preparing the cabbage so it would roll nicely into cabbage rolls and learned to do a decent job of it. Then the grandchildren unroll all this work, scrape out the little bit of meat and eat that. The cabbage leaves go into the garbage and I hate to throw food away So I stopped and CharlieD taught me about his lazy cabbage roll recipe, which the grandchildren like, cabbage and all. Me? I like cabbage, never had any I didn't like - raw, boiled, cured into sauerkraut, fried, what ever.

I have tried beet leaves but by the time the beets reach the market here the leaves are in sad condition and that was a waste of time. I had not thought to try all those various leaves but I think I'll stick with cabbage. Thanks for all the information - and especially the photos (I need photos to see what all this food should look like) and thanks for the video about the Serbian food festival. OH MY! Thanks everyone.

One question - are grape leaves worth the hassle? I would have to find some that are sold in a jar and I know they are somewhat expensive.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:50 AM   #186
Assistant Cook

David Cottrell, as for me they are not. But still somepeople I know do love Golubci only with grape leaves. So, it worth trying just to know whether you like this very specific aroma of grape leaves or not.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:39 AM   #187
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaLysytskiy View Post
David Cottrell, as for me they are not. But still somepeople I know do love Golubci only with grape leaves. So, it worth trying just to know whether you like this very specific aroma of grape leaves or not.
Thanks Nikita, I do believe that I will do that! I must find some fresh grape leaves!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #188
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikitaLysytskiy View Post
Thanks!

Bolas, what is that round cabbage on the photo? How do you eat it?
Nik go back to post 117 where I explain the method, it is used to make Serb/Croat Sarma.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #189
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
D I was going to post my joke about the special needs family but I know you are very PC.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #190
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
Hello CharlieD and the others. I'm glad Discuss Cooking called me back to this thread. I'm a total gringo when it comes to these various food groups, and not much of a cook at that. For the family here in Ohio, USA, I taught myself about preparing the cabbage so it would roll nicely into cabbage rolls and learned to do a decent job of it. Then the grandchildren unroll all this work, scrape out the little bit of meat and eat that. The cabbage leaves go into the garbage and I hate to throw food away So I stopped and CharlieD taught me about his lazy cabbage roll recipe, which the grandchildren like, cabbage and all. Me? I like cabbage, never had any I didn't like - raw, boiled, cured into sauerkraut, fried, what ever.

I have tried beet leaves but by the time the beets reach the market here the leaves are in sad condition and that was a waste of time. I had not thought to try all those various leaves but I think I'll stick with cabbage. Thanks for all the information - and especially the photos (I need photos to see what all this food should look like) and thanks for the video about the Serbian food festival. OH MY! Thanks everyone.

One question - are grape leaves worth the hassle? I would have to find some that are sold in a jar and I know they are somewhat expensive.
David--I would think in Ohio, you can find wild grape leaves growing along dirt roads, pastures, etc. I harvest my own--about to that this weekend. Swiss chard is another option.

Tags
cabbage rolls, ukrainian